lipstick on a pig????

» what the hell was obama thinking? to an outsider, this is an extraordinary

» gaffe. will it be seen so in the states? will it hurt him? to me, it might

» have been a hail mary selection by mccain but obama just made certain that

» doug flutie has not left the building.

Well in all fairness she is a pig!!

The whole issue is borderline ridiculous because not only is that a common expression here in the states, McCain used it numerous time earlier this year and late last year including referring to Hillary's health care proposal. So if Obama was being sexist, then so was McCain.

The sad thing is this takes away from the fact that McCain and his fascist running mate are terrible on womens' issues, including McCain voting against equal pay numerous times and the Fascist wanting women to pay for Rape kits.

You know Obumer ment it for the VP to be and when he is not reading from a teller prompt he says the dumbest things over and over again....When the crowd cheered thats what they thought (about VP Palin). Obama should havemade clear that was not ment for Palin but he did not.He has some of the worst judgement and shows he is not fit to run this country.

The less he says the better people are not going to be fooled by him no more they are catching on to his act..

Biden said today that Hiliary would have been a better pick than him for VP.

LOL Obama is finished everything around him is falling apart !!!! LOL

regardless of how he meant it. think it is bull that something like this, that does not mean a thing will pull people away from thinking what is really going on here. we have a debt that has bloomed over the past 8 yrs has gotten outa control. cris sakes in 8 yrs we have spent more than the 200 yrs america has been. you have fannie and freddie asking for a bailout..GM,ford and crystler asked for a bailout. Then we have debt that has been postponed that hasnt even come to the table yet.(forgot the name of it but somebody might know). And people are worried if a pig wears lipstick. WTH. Neither one is talking about the important things. and it looks as if mccain is using palin to gain votes..ride her tails to the winning line...they both lost my vote.

chef

The comment in itself was no big deal. It is a common phrase, although someone who claims to be such a great negotiator/orator and wants to turn world opinion of us around should be able to think a little better on his feet. A gaffe like that with some of our less enthusiastic foreign neighbors would be the shot heard round the world.

What I did find telling is when the crowd started cheering and it was obvious that they were taking his comment as a reference to Palin, he just smiled and played to the crowd. At that point, even if it wasn't meant to be, it turned deliberate. And for him to claim he didn't play it that way just shows how arrogant he truly is. Even if he didn't know beforehamd, he certainly knew right away it had been taken as a derogatory comment. He is either extremely stupid or he's lying about this.

As long as he's preaching to his own choir he is great. But I think more and more people are starting to think the guy is just another empty suit.

A gaffe like that with some of our less enthusiastic foreign

» neighbors would be the shot heard round the world.

that was one thought i had. if you nare dealing with russians or hamas or the french or the castros or whoever, very hard to say, whoops, not what i meant.

not a common phrase here, which is why it got my attention.

would not be the first or last election where one side tries to spin or divert an issue.

jimmy, your comment re the teleprompter is interesting. not the first time i have heard it or something like it.

thanks all for the thoughts. fascinating to sit outside and watch.

» Spin spin spin.

»

» Why is she so untouchable that even a HINT of a slam is horrible.

this is also really interesting to me. she does seem untouchable at the moment. that said, not so long ago - and again this is merely the perspective from an outsider looking in - obama was the untouchable one. despite the power they wield, the media is not necesssarly the sharpest tool in the shed and they get bored easily so as soon as a new toy came along, they all rushed off to play with it and poor old obama suddenly found himself as not the centre of attention. if that is how he handles it, he might be in strife. problem for the republicans is whether ms palin can remain the shiny new toy until the election.

problem for the republicans is whether ms palin can remain the shiny new toy until the election.

The strategy appears to be:

Keep her close to McCain so that he can answer the tough questions; don't let her respond to questions from the press; keep her off the talk shows; and keep her in front of adoring crowds where she can give her "canned" speeches. The goal is to to get everybody to the ballot box before they find out who she is and what she really stands for.

I say this as one who favors neither McCain or Obama; the statment in question was clearly a reference to Sarah Palin. Her analogy made during the GOP convention of a Hockey mom being a "pitbull with lipstick" has played repeatedly in the media and by the time of Obama's comments had become synonymous with Palin. Obama's comment was mean spirited and a political mistake. On the other hand, McCain's follow up attack ad was ridiculous and also a political mistake. The whole flap demonstrates nothing positive about either camp and shows the world how truly juvenile American politics has become. Regardless of who wins this election, the voters lose.

The problem with what he said wasn't just that he made the pig comment but right after that he followed it up with something about you can't wrap an old fish in paper and call it change because it'll still stink... an obvious jab at McCain's age.

Of course what you didn't hear in the news clip sound bites was after he said the pig comment the entire crowd was chanting, 'bulldog'.. a reference to Sarah Palin's comparison of hockey moms to bulldogs minus the lipstick! It was at that point he could have diffused his comments but he didn't.

Whether he meant it or not it was a stupid thing to say. Either he's a huge sexist and ageist.. or a blithering idiot.

While I dont consider it much of an issue in the way of insults I am surprised that Obama or his advisors would use such a statement given the circumstances.

It is giving ammunition to the enemy.

I can't wait for the gloves to come off and start using real words like ******, ***** and old fart. Ain't it comical how the politicians dance around words and try to make people guess at what they might mean.;-)

It is an American idiom that McCain used mutliple times when deriding Hillary.

It is another bullsh*t smokescreen to take the focus off the screw job the Republicans have put to the middle class.

The one thing to take into consideration is the dumbing down of America in the past 25 plus years. It only takes a distraction to lose one's true bearings.

And, yes, it is all Republican lipstick on a pig. They have no values ,moral,ethics,or direction other than to spend and tax(through fees!).

»

» The strategy appears to be:

»

» Keep her close to McCain so that he can answer the tough questions; don't

» let her respond to questions from the press; keep her off the talk shows;

» and keep her in front of adoring crowds where she can give her "canned"

» speeches. The goal is to to get everybody to the ballot box before they

» find out who she is and what she really stands for.

Ding ding ding!! Tell Bob what he's won...

» » what the hell was obama thinking? to an outsider, this is an

» extraordinary

» » gaffe. will it be seen so in the states? will it hurt him? to me, it

» might

» » have been a hail mary selection by mccain but obama just made certain

» that

» » doug flutie has not left the building.

»

» The whole issue is borderline ridiculous because not only is that a common

» expression here in the states, McCain used it numerous time earlier this

» year and late last year including referring to Hillary's health care

» proposal. So if Obama was being sexist, then so was McCain.

»

» The sad thing is this takes away from the fact that McCain and his fascist

» running mate are terrible on womens' issues, including McCain voting

» against equal pay numerous times and the Fascist wanting women to pay for

» Rape kits.

WTF! This is not the Daily Kos. Go spread your fascism B.S. over there. This is supposed to be a gentlemanly site. :angry:

By the way, both of my grandfathers fought gainst fascism in WWII. Your asenine political swipe cheapens their service.

guys, like some members, i love a healthy political debate - hence the original post - and i hope it continues on this forum. i do also think, like tampa, that we need to keep it civil. it would be a great shame if something as trivial as a politician from any side caused lasting antagonism on this site. go hammer and tongs by all means, but keep the language and accusations gentlemanly.

in other words, if you want to rip into any of the candidates, go hell for leather but please keep it polite. if i want gratuitous abuse, i'll invite rob around. if i want bile and venom, i'll visit mum.

»

»

» WTF! This is not the Daily Kos. Go spread your fascism B.S. over there.

» This is supposed to be a gentlemanly site. :angry:

»

» By the way, both of my grandfathers fought gainst fascism in WWII. Your

» asenine political swipe cheapens their service.

No I don't believe it cheapens your Grandfathers courageous service .

You should look on it as an affirmation of their successful fight against fascism that most people these days really don't know the true meaning of the word.

>Obama's comment was mean spirited and a

>political mistake. On the other hand, McCain's follow up attack ad was

>ridiculous and also a political mistake. The whole flap demonstrates

>nothing positive about either camp and shows the world how truly juvenile

>American politics has become. Regardless of who wins this election, the

>voters lose.

Unfortunately I think you're right.

McCain choosing Palin was an obvious bow to the Republican Base that he's had difficulties with in the past, and one that I think will haunt him if he wins.

He's going to have some difficulties now in claiming to be the moderate/independent/un-Republican Republican.

On the other hand, Obama is making missteps as well.

It's going to be an interesting run-up to the election. This time 'round, the debates are going to be critical for both teams. :-D