What was your last great Romeo y Julieta Cigar

Following on from a rather disappointing R&J Belicoso review.

What was your last excellent R&J cigar and what was the year (and month if possible) of manufacture.

Similarly, if a bad one comes to mind....what was it and what was the year (and month) if possible.

For the purposes of this exercise, do not include Romeo y Julieta Short Churchill.

I will have to defer to Professor Twain on the Date and box code of the last RyJ that I would consider truly great. It was an Exhibición No.4 that was fruity, mixed with cedar and an earthy leatheriness as well as overall a honey and every puff brought forth such a loveliness that I burnt my fingers on the nub. I believe that it was a 1999, but Professor Twain will complete the month and correct year, PUL EOOO September 1999, he purchased a cab of these upon my recommendation sight unseen and never smoking them, and I believe he found "Casey Jones Locker" because they are such a treasure!

"Great" may be an overstatement but I love my Cedros DeLuxe #3 ,AXL/FEB04.. These have been my evening "go to" smokes lately. Consistantly tasty with plenty of coffee, and a nice toasted tobacco flavor. Good to the last drop.

» Following on from a rather disappointing R&J Belicoso review.

»

» What was your last excellent R&J cigar and what was the year (and month if

» possible) of manufacture.

»

» Similarly, if a bad one comes to mind....what was it and what was the year

» (and month) if possible.

»

» For the purposes of this exercise, do not include Romeo y Julieta Short

» Churchill.

RyJ Cazadores was the last excellent RyJ I smoked. Extreme power, perfect aroma, excellent draw and burn, perfect hour and a bit time of smoke. These are a cigar for real men, men who wake up in the morning and drink double espresso with a Boli CJ or Partagas Short and dont give a **** if it is going to rain. :lol2:

This is the only RyJ I will smoke. The others just seem unexciting and highly uninspiring.

I used to smoke RyJ at special times when I was a teen, mostly tubes... Maybe this explains why I dont rate them very highly these days.

» I will have to defer to Professor Twain on the Date and box code of the

» last RyJ that I would consider truly great. It was an Exhibición

» No.4 that was fruity, mixed with cedar and an earthy leatheriness as

» well as overall a honey and every puff brought forth such a loveliness

» that I burnt my fingers on the nub. I believe that it was a 2001, but

» Professor Twain will complete the month and correct year, he purchased a

» cab of these upon my recommendation sight unseen and never smoking them,

» and I believe he found "Casey Jones Locker" because they are such a

» treasure!

They are PUL EOOO September 1999. Chuck is helping me finish them off...

Not as good as that 01 RJ Robusto EL that I reviewed recently, though.

I was thinking of the short churchill, though it's too young to consider it "excellent". The last really good RyJ I had was a '98 Churchill AT. I have also smoked some excellent Hermosos No. 2, but they're in a sick phase now. I agree with others that the very best was the 2001 Robusto. An enormous smoke.

the 03 LE's good, not great; so too the 05 LE petit pyramides. some decent churchills (and notes how you raved about these at one stage and then u-turned).

but it is hardly an honour board.

be interesting to ask the same question of upmanns. i think they are another underperforming of late.

Romeo y Julieta - Excepcionales ( Hand made Hecho a mano)

Code CP? ( I can't see the last letter) DIC 00

A lot of cedar and chocolate taste. Very good

Maduro wrapper ( black, black, black) , like new cohiba maduro :-P

I try to not be critical and find the best characteristics of each cigar, but while I like the RyJ line, very few great experiences come to mind. The Cazadores CLO OCT 02 is pretty dang good, had several quite nice Hermosos #2 and some tasty (02?) Churchill Tubos. I'll smoke a Mille Fleurs or a Regalias de Londres for a change, but hardly memorable.

Well, seeing that I don't really care for the R&J profile, it is hard for me to identify many excellent R&Js. However, two come to mind. One is the '03 Edicion Limitada...probably the most complex R&J that I have ever smoked. The other is my favorite R&J...the Cazadores. I have been smoking from an '02 box that is wonderful.

Last great one was a 99' Cazadores, probably one of the best cigars I've ever smoked, real rich and full of flavor. I have a box of JUN04 RyJ #4's that were pretty good before I buried them in the humi.

Was gifted a Churchill about two years ago from the 2001 vintage. I don't know the box code for it, but it was one of the most flavorful cigars I’ve had in a long time.

I do like the Short Churchill’s especially the tubos and look forward to them aging.

I had a box of Cedros #3 JNL DIC 04 which was absolutely great and reminded me of my teen years when a friend who could afford anything would give me Cedros #1 (all the way back to the '70's). We thought it was one of the stars in those days. When I started to go back to Europe in 2001-02 I gave up on the #1s since every one I would try was unsmokable.

The DIC 04 box had perfect draws, an interesting progression and a certain bite to the smoke which was a blast from the past. I didn't feel that it lacked flavor or even power. For some reason I then used a different source and got a box marked FDO MAR 04. These were so insipid that I was afraid that they might not even be real and crossed off that supplier. Now I have a box of XAN OCT 05 which also fit the normal reviews of these. They're ok but light, and don't even remind me of the good ones until at least halfway down.

I used to wonder why these are rarely mentioned. Now I'm wondering about their inconsistency, and whether I should keep trying.

» Last great one was a 99' Cazadores, probably one of the best cigars I've

» ever smoked, real rich and full of flavor. I have a box of JUN04 RyJ #4's

» that were pretty good before I buried them in the humi.

Another vote for 99 Cazadores. Along with cabinet Party Lonsdales, the best 99s I've had. 01 Cazadores are also delicious. Pre 95 Celestial Finos were fantastic, but more recent versions boring. Outside of that, never much of a RyJ fan.

Last recent vintage cigar that was excellent, the Cazadores TRG DIC05. Beyond that, I've been digging the few 1998 Churchills A/T that I have left. Beyond those two and the SC, I really don't get much from the RyJ profile. Well, maybe the Des Dieux but nothing else, really.

Wilkey

03 Exh #4 Great floral flavors.

POW stand for Piece Of Whale Shit I gave all of mine away, yes gave not sold.

Some of the EL Hermosos are ok but not great.

RYJ EL Robusto

RYJ Hermosa #2 EL

RYJ EL Petite Pyramid

To lazy to check out the dates but you have an idea.

Monday smoked a RYJ Hermosa #4 and it was the worst burning cigar ever.

Draw was as loose as the neighborhood *****. Bitter taste and between the tunneling and the one side burn, it really sucked

i have 1 and a half boxes left of a 3 box purchase of Celestiaesl Finos

that are FANTASTIC ! mar 1999. tons of spice .....hated them for the first 3 years or so... lousy draw and flat.... great draw and flavor now. i almost hate smoking them knowing that they're out of production.

i also have a few Cazadores left from 2000 ... damn strong and leathery flavor ..

i also have had good luck - so far - w/ the boxes of exhibicion no 3's i got from Rob - sep 2005.

-bk