iPad users... laptop v tablet debate

My Apple laptops are sadly outdated and I need to upgrade (have a really old MacBook Air, slightly younger MacBook Pro). I use a highly spec'd Mac Mini for my desktop set-up and it's great, but my portable options are a bit tragic right now. 

I've never used an iPad for work and I'm looking at the new iPads released overnight and considering this option (with magic keyboard & pencil) rather than a laptop. My work demands include some medium to heavy cpu/ram tasks so I often get caught in the middle ground of available products and end up overloading on specs to future-proof as much as possible. That philosophy serves me well but makes for a much more considered purchase than just jumping on a low-spec option that suits for internet, email, word docs, etc.

So, I'm seeking advice from those who use the iPad (or a pc tablet) over a laptop (or use both) and what your experience is in doing so... with any workload... good/bad/ugly... what recommendations you might have, etc, and so on... 

Any help appreciated. Over to you. :cigar:

I have a M1 macbook pro, the battery life is revolutionary compared to the intel macs, I often leave home without a charger and no worries about running out of battery throughout the day or even the next. Only issue I see with Ipad is that you're locked to the App Store versus the laptop being more open. Also if you have apps that you use on the laptop sometimes the Ipad apps have missing features or the interface isn't truly adapted to using touch. I really wanted to get an Ipad when I got my M1 MBP but it just didn't make sense for me, granted I'm doing alot of media/photo editing work. This video is interesting in looking at some of the pitfalls of Ipad only:

• Like 1

Not from personal experience but from what I’m reading on the new iPads is their great but no substitute for a Mac. Main issue seems to be the operating systems are still very different and the iPad can’t replace a MacBook unless it is more basic tasks. Again, just going by what I read and hear. For work I have a company PC and for personal I also have a Mac Mini with both plugged into my large monitor and I just move my dongle for the keyboard and mouse between the two as I go from work to personal. I have an iPad but would like more if I want to mobile. I am thinking next time my Mac Mini needs updating I will probably get a MacBook plug it in like I do the mini but then be able to take it with me if I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, traveller said:

I have a M1 macbook pro, the battery life is revolutionary compared to the intel macs, I often leave home without a charger and no worries about running out of battery throughout the day or even the next. Only issue I see with Ipad is that you're locked to the App Store versus the laptop being more open. Also if you have apps that you use on the laptop sometimes the Ipad apps have missing features or the interface isn't truly adapted to using touch. I really wanted to get an Ipad when I got my M1 MBP but it just didn't make sense for me, granted I'm doing alot of media/photo editing work. This video is interesting in looking at some of the pitfalls of Ipad only:

Interesting (or ridiculous) that Final Cut Pro seems so downright clunky when it's their own software... 🤦‍♂️ I use Davinci Resolve and that app has a 4.5 rating from reviews, which is encouraging but the proof would be in hands-on testing. Lightroom app also seems ok review-wise. Hmmm...

More thought required. :yes:

56 minutes ago, LLC said:

Not from personal experience but from what I’m reading on the new iPads is their great but no substitute for a Mac. Main issue seems to be the operating systems are still very different and the iPad can’t replace a MacBook unless it is more basic tasks. Again, just going by what I read and hear. For work I have a company PC and for personal I also have a Mac Mini with both plugged into my large monitor and I just move my dongle for the keyboard and mouse between the two as I go from work to personal. I have an iPad but would like more if I want to mobile. I am thinking next time my Mac Mini needs updating I will probably get a MacBook plug it in like I do the mini but then be able to take it with me if I want.

Yeah, an iPad Pro highly spec'd is packed with power but if the supporting OS apps don't deliver as they should then it's all a bit of a waste going that way over a laptop except for the pencil (which I would use quite a bit) and perhaps some slight increase on portability. Interesting... I'll keep investigating. 

By the way, love my Mac Mini. Best computer I've owned. Gorgeously designed little box. Great stuff. I would love a Mac Studio, too, but it's really a bit of overkill for my needs. Maybe when the Mac Mini needs upgrading... if they're still around then. ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MoeFOH said:

Interesting (or ridiculous) that Final Cut Pro seems so downright clunky when it's their own software... 🤦‍♂️ I use Davinci Resolve and that app has a 4.5 rating from reviews, which is encouraging but the proof would be in hands-on testing. Lightroom app also seems ok review-wise. Hmmm...

More thought required. i:yes:

Yeah particularly if you us Lightroom Classic and not Lightroom (worst naming convention), there is no lightroom classic for Ipad and once you switch to lightroom your catalog doesn't sync back to the lightroom classic catalog.

• Thanks 1

I have an iPad Pro and the latest Gen MBP. Do yourself a favour and don’t try to do real work on an iPad. Go for the MBP and don’t look back.

iPad versions of most software packages are just shittier. Documents, Spreadsheets and anything remotely taxing on the processors will piss you off.

Don’t be fooled by those guys that look all chipper while note taking on their iPads with the gleam in their eye. That’s all it’s good for. Notes and drawing.

• Thanks 1

My work desktop is a Windows PC. I use Microsoft applications and a web browser.
For work travel I’ve got both an iPad Pro and a Windows laptop.
A few years ago I just stopped using the laptop as all the software updates etc whenever I turned it on (once a month) were such a pain and the iPad Pro apps became much more advanced.
So I’m getting the new pro for work travel and would never seriously consider a laptop again.

• Thanks 1

Funny, I just ordered the iPad Pro this morning. I don’t use it for work ( despite the fact that I paid for an iPad Pro that screen should be amazing) I use it mainly for viewing TV shows when I’m smoking or surfing the net and for that purpose it’s good. I would use it for emails as well. For that purpose I prefer it over laptop as battery life is much better and it’s quick to start. I’ve used the previous iPad model for work with Magic Keyboard and honestly there is no difference to laptop keyboard. For your purposes I’m not sure they advertise that it can handle it but I can’t add any value to that discussion.

• Thanks 1

I’d rather use a MacBook Air than any iPad if I’m not on my desktop.

• Thanks 1

Tablets and laptops are two different animals made to do different things. I would not replace a laptop by a tablet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1