The Smoking Jacket

The Smoking Jacket - Do you own one?  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My wife is sewing a new smoking jacket for me. Found a great pattern from the 1920's. Took a while to find the right fabric. Asian pattern in a prosperous red.

• Like 2

I found an old smoking jacket from the 50s/60s that belonged to my grandfather. My grandmother was a dress designer and seamstress so everything was perfectly fitted and I'm assuming the best materials were used for the time based off how she was with clothing/materials. Its a shiny red silk exterior with satin stitched patterns and a black velvet/velour inside. Astonishing workmanship and honestly is just too nice to wear.

I stick to a heated hoodie for cool weather and a very light fly fishing jacket in the warmer months.

• Like 2

I have an old work fleece that fits the bill, it's also my BBQ, gardening and fire fleece, safe to say it stinks more than a grumpy teenagers attitude.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RichUK said:

I have a lovely red velvet one that my tailor made for me. Last worn for the Cigar smoker of the year awards in Dec.

Watched some recent video on IG where it was said the smoking jacket is what evolved into the tuxedo. I didn't look into it but can see from this fine jacket, there might actually be some truth to it. Happy to learn more.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LordAnubis said:

What exactly is the purpose of a smoking jacket? To catch the smell so your shirt doesn’t stink? 

Keep the smell off you and your clothes.

• Like 1