Cuba and the Curse of the Substitute

30 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

god forbid we have democrats (small d) involved in government. so if you do not believe in democracy, any preferences? 

democrats and DEMOCRACY are two very different things!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Ken, with all my due respect I understand what are you talking about and very much appreciate giving me "the benefit of the doubt". I am not talking at all about the "US politics" or politics in any other country. I am talking about what the history teaches us and principles. I am very well aware about FOH rules.

The word democracy comes from the Greek words "demos", meaning people, and "kratos" meaning power; so democracy can be thought of as "power of the people": a way of governing which depends on the will of the people.

Unfortunately, I spent 30 years living under the communist government and very well know what is the reality of "power of the people" when the communist party is a ruling party.

well i am delighted we have not gone down the rabbit hole of us politics - rob has more than enough opportunities to suspend me. and you have my greatest sympathy for what you have endured. i am sure none of us would wish that on anyone.

but is what you are talking about not the exact opposite of democracy and what (small d) democrats believe in? unless your comment was intended as sarcasm (does not seem so) - which of course can be lost without tone.  surely (small d) democrats are as antithetical to communists etc, as you mention, as to extreme right wing fruit bats? 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

surely (small d) democrats are as antithetical to communists etc, as you mention, as to extreme right wing fruit bats?

You have my solemn assurance that I am not a friend of the "extreme right wing" as well. :)

• Thanks 1

Three people are starving to death on an island. They choose the democratic process to decide how they are going to work out their next meal. Two vote to eat the third. Wallah! Democracy in action!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Odessa said:

You have my solemn assurance that I am not a friend of the "extreme right wing fruit bats" as well. :)

mine was a general comment in relation to fruit bats, both left and right. was not aimed at you. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

mine was a general comment in relation to fruit bats, both left and right. was not aimed at you. 

Ken, rest assured I did not take it personally. :)

My friend in Greece has a dog that looks like a fruit bat. Not an attractive animal,but she's very sweet.

• Like 1

Cuba and the Cuban people are some of the most amazing and resilient people I’ve ever had the opportunity of meeting. Truly great people. 

On 3/29/2024 at 7:57 PM, Odessa said:

Ken, with all my due respect I understand what are you talking about and very much appreciate giving me "the benefit of the doubt". I am not talking at all about the "US politics" or politics in any other country. I am talking about what the history teaches us and principles. I am very well aware about FOH rules.

The word democracy comes from the Greek words "demos", meaning people, and "kratos" meaning power; so democracy can be thought of as "power of the people": a way of governing which depends on the will of the people.

Unfortunately, I spent 30 years living under the communist government and very well know what is the reality of "power of the people" when the communist party is a ruling party. In such a society, as George Orwell said, “All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others”. 

Odessa is AI

18 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I've always found it amusing that most countries with the terms "democratic", "people's" or "republic" in their names are tyrannical hellholes. 

True that. But we westerners too have seen our rights to do and say many things shrink over the last decades, where will our "freedom" be in 5 or maybe 10 years?

On 3/30/2024 at 4:58 PM, PigFish said:

Might I remind the esteemed man from Queensland. The term fruit, is considered derogatory to some…🤪 

noted ray, but to some, a term of great endearment, old fruit. (using it in its most endearing manner in case that was not clear). 

15 hours ago, Li Bai said:

True that. But we westerners too have seen our rights to do and say many things shrink over the last decades, where will our "freedom" be in 5 or maybe 10 years?

No argument there! Why do you think we call it the Democratic People's Republic of California!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

No argument there! Why do you think we call it the Democratic People's Republic of California!

I didn't know about that but I'm talking about the whole western world.

20 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Didn’t you nominate me as FoH’s favorite “leftie?” 😀

• Haha 1