Communist Cuba is on the brink of collapse

Wishful thinking.

The regime is firmly in control. This isn't the Soviet Union where it was becoming difficult to control the Balkans economically and militarily. As long as Raul is alive and the military is at the ready there will be no "collapse" unfortunately. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Wishful thinking.

The regime is firmly in control. This isn't the Soviet Union where it was becoming difficult to control the Balkans economically and militarily. As long as Raul is alive and the military is at the ready there will be no "collapse" unfortunately. 

Or perhaps a Coup d'état from within the military. Regimes like this you gotta keep the military officials happy. 

12 minutes ago, Arabian said:

Or perhaps a Coup d'état from within the military. Regimes like this you gotta keep the military officials happy. 

From what I understand the military is kept very happy. Again, I don't think the military could be turned against Raul so it's unlikely anything like that would happen until Raul croaks. 

The proceeds from all these hotel grifts are controlled and distributed among the generals by Raul directly. The extent to which Cuba is essentially a military dictatorship is often missed in the discussion. Cuba does a good job of keeping the military presence out of everyday life. They have a very extensive force of gestapo-like agents that pop up during any active dissent to cart the main agitators off to the gulag without much fanfare.

When there's a rise in dissent like now they usually open the "pressure relief valve" looking the other way when people try and escape. It's usually the loudest people who leave first and less people means more for those who stay quieting them for the time being. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Wishful thinking.

Never underestimate the power of hunger and the lack of food for survival. It is essential for life, and without it people will sometimes do "whatever it takes". Sounds like things there are worse than ever. 

• Like 2

Someone said that in any country you never have to worry about anything until the army isn't being paid, I'd suggest this is one of the reasons why the regime there has managed to hang on for so long. 

I haven't seen much about the Cuban military grumbling, it seems too well entrenched in the system?

• Like 1

On 3/21/2024 at 5:30 PM, NSXCIGAR said:

Wishful thinking.

The Cuban government is making sure the top officials in the military are happy. In order for Cuba to collapse the military must be turned against the government.

1 hour ago, Puros Y Vino said:

IIRC doesn't the gov't and military pretty much own and run every official business in the country? They are one and the same no?

They don't officially control everything, for example Tabacuba. But Raul and the military have de facto control over everything, obviously. 

1 hour ago, VeguerosMAN said:

In order for Cuba to collapse the military must be turned against the government.

What you want is the soldiers to quit like in the USSR instead of another coup of senior officers of the kind that put Batista in power.

• Like 1

The trend now is that MYPIMES are popping up with "El Cangrejo's" (Raul Gillermo) name attached to it. That is Raul's nephew. Car rental agencies, bars and stores at the airport to grab some of those tourist dollars. John

• Like 3

Very sad for the citizens of Cuba. It’s hard to imagine what they have had to get used to and what they’re going through. Even in America, or other developed nations, poverty exist. There are very poor communities. But even so, at least in America, those people have government and community resources to lean on. I think if a Cuban were to experience the resources that are available to poor communities in America, they’d consider it an upgrade.

I’ve wondered, if the U.S. lifted the embargo how much would it really benefit the the Cuban people under a communist regime? Would they really prosper? Or would the communist Cuban government just grow stronger?

Its a shame that the Cuban government can’t do what’s good for its people and abandon communism and bring the country into a more stable and human rights friendly environment.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JohnnyO said:

The trend now is that MYPIMES are popping up with "El Cangrejo's" (Raul Gillermo) name attached to it. That is Raul's nephew. Car rental agencies, bars and stores at the airport to grab some of those tourist dollars. John

Very interesting. I will have to dig into this.

On 3/25/2024 at 4:46 PM, KarlJ said:

Its a shame that the Cuban government can’t do what’s good for its people

The Cuban government's people are the party elites so they're doing great for them! 

Very few people or groups have ever given away power. In fact the only one I can think of is George Washington. 

On 3/25/2024 at 4:46 PM, KarlJ said:

I’ve wondered, if the U.S. lifted the embargo how much would it really benefit the the Cuban people under a communist regime? Would they really prosper? Or would the communist Cuban government just grow stronger?

A very good question. In the short term it may well result in a more powerful government. But 60 years of embargo certainly hasn't worked. Even if the state did become more powerful it's difficult to imagine the ending of the embargo not increasing the standard of living for all Cubans. One thing for sure is that there would be much more personal and cultural exchange between US citizens and Cubans and the state's days of using the embargo as a scapegoat would be over. 

Perhaps they'd end up in an economy like China's where there's basically nominal private ownership with state control but profit and investment are embraced. I think the average Chinese citizen is far better off today than they were in 1990. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hoepssa said:

If Cuba goes democracy, cheaper Habanos era is coming back!

Maybe not... Everything cost more because of Covid, and inflation.

Somehow I doubt that. I think they are already producing as much tobacco as possible. I would love to see that happen though. Even though I know that removing the embargo would be a very bad thing for American Habanos lovers such as myself, if I thought for one second that it would improve the lives of the Cuban people I would be all for it. The Cuban people have to do what's best for them. I don't know it would take to remove the communist regime from power but I would imagine the same thing it took to install it. For all the faults of Batista, I feel like Cuba would have better off continuing under his reign. Even though he certainly wasn't perfect by any means, communism is a nightmare, always...

4 hours ago, Baccy said:

For all the faults of Batista, I feel like Cuba would have better off continuing under his reign. Even though he certainly wasn't perfect by any means, communism is a nightmare, always...

There have been a few academic examinations of the standard of living just before the Revolution that made a fairly convincing case that until somewhat recently the standard of living for the average Cuban was higher under the Batista regime. And it's still debatable how much better it actually is today if at all. 

As thoroughly corrupt as the Batista regime was it's remarkable that Fidel's regime was actually worse. Fidel was a sociopathic egomaniac that thought himself to be a Jesus-like figure. He didn't care about the conditions of the Cuban people unless he got credit for anything that helped them. 

• Like 1