JohnS' Smoking Diary 2024

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo de San Juan OLM Oct 2014 Welcome to the 2024 edition of this Smoking Blog Series. Whereas last year's edition opened with a New World cigar (an Arturo Fuente Hemingway W

Trinidad Coloniales APU Jul 2015 The Trinidad Coloniales was released in 2004 in a unique 'Coloniales' size. It has a 44 ring gauge and it is 132 millimetres or 5¼ inches in length. It comes in a

La Puntilla (Custom) The La Puntilla was a Cuban Custom cigar specifically rolled by Alex at the Comodoro Hotel in Havana, at the suggestion of El Pres. It was meant to provide a chance for FoH m

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2024 at 7:19 PM, JohnS said:

Quai d'Orsay Baalbeck 2018 - Edición Regional Líbano SMA Abr 2019

The Quai d'Orsay Baalbeck is a 2018 Libano Regional Edition that was released in mid-2021. What can account for this long delay? According to Cuban Cigar Website, the QdO Baalbeck was ready for release in 2019, but was held back for an additional period in the distributor warehouses due to unrest in Lebanon at that time. The cigars were produced in two batches, with the first numbered out of 1,200 and the second 2,400 (beginning at 1,201). Because of the delayed release, both were available in market at the same time.

So, there you go, this explains why the initial outlay of 1200 numbered boxes became 2400. Furthermore, this is a unique Quai d'Orsay release (and perhaps for any Habanos brand nowadays, for that matter) in that it was packaged in 50-count Slide Lid Boxes. The cigar itself is a 54 ring gauge x 140 mm (or 5½ inches) in length Duke. It's the same size as a regular production Partagas Serie E No.2.

Another characteristic of this release that makes it stand out within the Quai d'Orsay marca is the fact that it wasn't a French Regional Edition. You see, apart from the 2011 Asia-Pacifico Superiores, all Regional Editions up to the 2018 Baalbeck were directed for the French market. Since then, the Nro. 109 Selection Royale was released in Switzerland, the Half Corona-sized Ambassadeur was released in Andorra and the Petit Belicosos Acuerdo was released in Russia. Again, according to Cuban Cigar Wesbite, Quai d'Orsay's connection with France comes from the former French Economy and Finance minister (and later President) Valéry Giscard d’Estaing, who proposed a cigar with a light flavour to pair with French luxury brand products such as champagne and foie gras. This eventually led to the French tobacco monopoly (SEITA) approaching Cubatabaco with the concept. The brand gets its name from the street (and quay) in Paris where SEITA's headquarters was located.

The name for this Lebanese Regional Edition cites the Temple of Jupiter in the ancient city of Baalbek, which is believed to be one of the oldest continually-habited cities in the world, ranging somewhere from eight to eleven thousand years. Today, it is a small city of one hundred thousand people, yet it was designated a UNESCO World heritage site in 1984. As for the temple itself, apparently it took around three hundred years to build, was almost twenty metres high and its columns were 2.5 metres thick, the biggest in the classical world.

Alongside the Ramon Allones Phoenicio 40, the Quai d'Orsay Baalbeck was launched in June 2021, to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the Phoenicia Trading Company. The event was originally supposed to take place in November 2019, but was postponed twice on account of political protests in Beirut and then due to the COVID-19 pandemic (and subsequent social restrictions related to that).

So, there's a lot to 'unpack' even before we light up the cigar. To get back to the 'crux of the matter', how did this QdO Baalbeck actually smoke? Well, the cold draw revealed a wonderful cedar and barnyard hay combination which for me, augured well for the first third. And I was not to be disappointed. The first inch of this cigar reminded me of those halcyon days in 2018 when the initial runs of regular production Quai d'Orsay Nos. 50 and Nos. 54 oozed flavours such as butter brioche bread and cream. This Baalbeck though, I must say, was better than that.

The second third developed further in that the cigar was no longer as cream-textured. Rather, the hay and pepper took over. Now, that pepper was in no way overwhelming. I mainly drew out that flavour through retrohaling through the nose. The mildness of the smoke made sure that the flavours stayed well-balanced.

In the last third, you could say that the cigar became more 'woody' or 'Earthy'. Along the way there was a plethora of smoke. This meant that there was no need to continually puff on the cigar as each draw filled my palate with flavour for minutes at a time. This explains why the cigar took me a whopping two hours and twenty minutes to smoke!

So there you have it. The Quai d'Orsay Baalbeck is a cigar that was a long time in its planning and realisation, yet it represents a cigar that is faithful in its flavours to the Quai d'Orsay marca, and at the same time a class above regular production cigar such as the Coronas, No.50 and No.54.

How do you feel about long term aging potential with the Baalbeck? I have a Cab but have yet to sample. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KCCubano said:

How do you feel about long term aging potential with the Baalbeck? I have a Cab but have yet to sample. 

Judging by the development through the thirds that I experienced, I would be willing to gauge that this cigar would lend itself nicely to aging in the long-term, in my view.

14 hours ago, JohnS said:

Judging by the development through the thirds that I experienced, I would be willing to gauge that this cigar would lend itself nicely to aging in the long-term, in my view.

Thx John! Think I will wait a few more years. QdO always seemed to age well in the past but I have only had those examples from the old blends.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2024 at 3:43 AM, JohnS said:

Agree with you on that John. The handful that I have tried at 1 per year since acquiring have displayed that the blend has been becoming more balanced. The pepper that you mentioned I felt was stronger back in 2019 on my first. 

• Thanks 1