Olive Oil- Availability in USA

Fosgate

Trying to eat a lot better and I consume a lot of Olive oil and I am approaching the end of my artisan bottles. Not a fan of the cheap commercial oil with weak flavor, unknown harvest dates printed if printed at all or running close to the 2 year from production date. Seems the good stuff doesn't leave their region in Italy or AU. Seems I cant find anything in the USA or anyplace that will ship without placing a bulk order. I would like to find a bottle or Joseph Cold press our of AU but seems they are sold out for the season and can't find anyplace that will ship to me anyway. Same goes for terra d'otranto out of Italy and even a value tin of Cadel Monte. 

My thought was get a nice bottle to go straight on a food product after it's cooked, or with bread etc for those really good meals. Then another good oil that could be good for either as a table olive oil and also for cooking with good flavor in a tin approx up to 3L. 

I'm not a fan of "infused" oils that are built off a cheap tasteless oil for an overpriced retail. 

Looking for some nice flavors (spice, fruit, grassy, etc) typical of a great artisan olive oil. Anyone got any suggestions. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tunkat92 said:

https://www.giovannisbalsamic.com/shopoliveoil

His shop in Middletown, NY was my favorite Italian store. His olive oil he imports is great.

Just ordered a 2L of his olive oil with a 4oz reduced Balsamic. Looking forward to trying it out. Seems the sort of Olive Oil I'm looking for. Cant find it anywhere else. Probably a small local distribution. Those from my experience are the best. Thanks for the referral. Got him bookmarked on FB for any future orders. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fosgate said:

I would like to find a bottle or Joseph Cold press our of AU but seems they are sold out for the season and can't find anyplace that will ship to me anyway.

That is one beautiful olive oil :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, El Presidente said:

That is one beautiful olive oil :thumbsup:

So I've heard from many different sources. First time I heard about it was watching a documentary, then a couple publications and then this review popped up on my Youtube feed that I watched. Guess I'll have to wait until someone imports it here in the states. 

W

I love a great cigar, but this is LITERALLY why I’m an FoH!

Cheese and food threads to follow…😬

• Haha 2

I go for the Kirkland single origin olive oils at Costco.  Currently the one near my house has a Spanish and Italian DOP oils from 2022.  Hard for me to pick which is better.  Wife think the Spanish is better.  Both are about the same price in 1L bottle.

1 hour ago, Fosgate said:

o I've heard from many different sources. First time I heard about it was watching a documentary, then a couple publications and then this review popped up on my Youtube feed that I watched. Guess I'll have to wait until someone imports it here in the states. 

My family grow olives in Spain, Cintruenego Navarra to be exact. Cintruenego has their own press. Excellent oil. 

Many years ago, they came and stayed with me. I introduced then to Joseph Oil. It was as if they were sipping Dom Perignon. Great stuff:D

hmm. not one mention of Greek olive oil.

https://greekreporter.com/2022/10/22/greek-olive-oil-becomes-italian/

In 2021, more than seventy-five percent of Greek olive oil exports went to Italy in bulk, the analysis found. This means that Greece supplied more than 111,000 tons of the 500,000 tons of olive oil Italy imported, representing nearly twenty-two percent of all of Italy’s olive oil imports last year.

Italy’s largest supplier is Spain, with a share reaching 61.53 percent.

hmm. the best stuff isn't exported. so just go Greek.

σύντομα θα μας πείτε ότι πίνετε ανακατωμένο ουίσκι

16 hours ago, ha_banos said:

hmm. not one mention of Greek olive oil.

https://greekreporter.com/2022/10/22/greek-olive-oil-becomes-italian/

In 2021, more than seventy-five percent of Greek olive oil exports went to Italy in bulk, the analysis found. This means that Greece supplied more than 111,000 tons of the 500,000 tons of olive oil Italy imported, representing nearly twenty-two percent of all of Italy’s olive oil imports last year.

Italy’s largest supplier is Spain, with a share reaching 61.53 percent.

hmm. the best stuff isn't exported. so just go Greek.

σύντομα θα μας πείτε ότι πίνετε ανακατωμένο ουίσκι

I like this olive oil tasters opinion when she discusses the Greek olive oil as best value and her time living on Crete. I may have to grab a bottle of that and the top luxury oil once the 2023 harvest is available. I do like their site for data on what they are selling. Harvest Date, Expiration Date, Origin of the olives disclosed all super important, but the bonus is their notes on taste, pairings, makeup of nutrients and so on is an added bonus. 

• Like 1