2022 Qatar World Cup

ElJavi76

30 minutes ago, Arabian said:

The other side of the coin is that they see themselves right and the other party is wrong. It’s a never ending cycle. The next World Cup is in the U.S. (along with neighbouring countries) you’ll have someone riding his high horse and start pointing at Guantanamo camp, Iraq, Vietnam. Afghanistan, Abu Ghraib prison, treatment of migrants and minorities…etc.

Where does it end?.

It never ends. But the hope is in the "enlightened" world, something will change if enough people register their discontent. 

• Like 1

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There’s two sides to this coin… there’s the part where an ultra conservative religion is at the fulcrum of all of this beer and armband fiasco. Misguided as they might be (please see your calendars… i

The thing that makes holding the WC in Qatar different, at least to some, is the direct connection between human rights violations and the competition.  The stadiums, with one lone exception, and near

After Australia's 1-0 win over Tunisia tonight (Australian time), someone conveniently updated goalscorer Mitchell Duke's Wikipedia page as per the following... Mitchell Thomas Duke (born 18 Janu

I don't know why people have a hard to time respecting the host country's traditions and expectations.  It's their choice to visit Qatar.  A significant part of the world is Muslim and no one is being forced to go.  I wish people could leave the politics out of it and get on with it on the pitch. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I don't know why people have a hard to time respecting the host country's traditions and expectations.  It's their choice to visit Qatar.  A significant part of the world is Muslim and no one is being forced to go.  I wish people could leave the politics out of it and get on with it on the pitch. 

I agree with you 100%. If you don’t like Qatar, just don’t go. If you like football just watch the matches in your home or with family and friends. It’s that hard?

The world is just messed up these days. Just let us enjoy the bloody World Cup for Christs sake.

• Like 3

4612D538-79EB-4535-8671-964276781B2A.jpeg.e7fe5c70fa363866cb9a847838ced0cd.jpeg

why can’t it be left out? because it’s the world stage and athletes are human beings that care deeply about causes and see an opportunity to use their platform to make a difference in the world.

this is nothing new, as the photograph above demonstrates. dozens and dozens of examples through the ages of sports and political or cultural displays. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BettyHumpder said:

why can’t it be left out? because it’s the world stage and athletes are human beings that care deeply about causes and see an opportunity to use their platform to make a difference in the world.

this is nothing new, as the photograph above demonstrates. dozens and dozens of examples through the ages of sports and political or cultural displays. 

one of the most amazing docos i have ever seen was about peter norman, the aussie who came in 2nd and split the two americans for the silver. it is his glove that one of the guys - tommy smith and carlos? - is wearing because they could not find theirs. the three became really close friends. i think tommy smith gave the eulogy at norma's funeral. 

6 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

i would suggest that part of the problem is of qatar's making. i believe that they may well have given indications as to certain matters that they have now reneged on. and fifa is too spineless to do anything. in the end, it will all be remembered for the football (only have to go back to russia for that).

but any suggestion that humans are going to keep politics and sport separate is naive, these days. and where one falls usually depends on where one falls with the issue highlighted. so many examples.

Ali in a number of respects an obvious one.

Take a look at the taking a knee which kicked off in US football but is now far more widespread.

Go back further and the bans on south africa playing international sport - specifically cricket and rugby. back in the day, the afrikaans lived, breathed, ate cricket and especially rugby. that played a major role in the move to end apartheid. 

the american (and others) boycott of the moscow olympics. 

one thing is certain  - we'll see more of this in the years to come. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

but any suggestion that humans are going to keep politics and sport separate is naive, these days. and where one falls usually depends on where one falls with the issue highlighted. so many examples.

Sporting organizations need to start disqualifying or deducting points when member teams start doing things political during the course of the event.  Enough is enough with this crap.  Let's watch sports for sports for once. 

7 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Sporting organizations need to start disqualifying or deducting points when member teams start doing things political during the course of the event.  Enough is enough with this crap.  Let's watch sports for sports for once. 

sadly, not a perfect world (which is i guess why people use sport for issues). just is never going to happen. we have seen tennis officials cave in at the slightest opposition. so many examples. as a kid, i was horrified that the south african cricket tour of australia was cancelled by our govt because of apartheid. ditto a rugby tour. too young to understand the bigger issues. in retrospect, the sporting bans undoubtedly played a significant part in helping to end apartheid. bit hard to oppose that sort of political interference. 

i imagine a lot of us were impressed by, and supportive of, the actions of the iranian team in protesting the actions of their govt and the crackdown. do we get to pick and choose? 

perfect world, sport would be pure and untouched. but the reality is that politics are part of life and sport and that is not going to change. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

do we get to pick and choose?   

perfect world, sport would be pure and untouched. but the reality is that politics are part of life and sport and that is not going to change. 

The sporting organizations pick and choose which voices are elevated or suppressed.  Shouldn't we strive for a perfect world?  An international sporting event that focuses on sport is a good start.

Asian teams showing up thus far. The shocker coming from Japan so far. Great memes on social media of the Japanese fans posing like the German team prior to the game. @Namisgr11 you’re 💯 % right on the lack of preparedness from Qatar as a host country and a real head scratcher as to why they were even considered. The money that went to FIFA officials must’ve been obscene. If not traceable money, then other resources for sure. Those migrant workers had their passports confiscated upon arrival and many of them never even left the country alive. All in the name of sports and entertainment. True shame. 

• Like 2

On 11/23/2022 at 10:24 AM, BettyHumpder said:

I see and understand your example but I think it’s a different ballpark. You have every right to contest the country traditions or its politics. But don’t make it ALL about it. The athletes are representing their nations in the greatest football competition there is. Let’s praise them for it and not focus on Qatar problems. You can’t go in a muslim country by your own free will and expect to change their culture because you find it inappropriate. Let them and their people make this happen, not people from the internet…

9 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

The sporting organizations pick and choose which voices are elevated or suppressed.  Shouldn't we strive for a perfect world?  An international sporting event that focuses on sport is a good start.

don't disagree with you that it would be nice but just not realistic. i do disagree that it is up to the sporting organisations. they may play a role in some circumstances but the entire concept of protesting puts players outside this. you really think that the iranian soccer administration made the decision to protest government actions? 

the organisers of sporting events everywhere want nothing more than to have their events solely focusing on sport. outside factors intervene. sometimes they are largely supported across wide international consent/condemnation; sometimes they are simply idiotic and the vast majority of us would love nothing more than for it not to happen. and then there are other instances where some agree, some oppose. good luck getting all that to go away. 

14 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

you really think that the iranian soccer administration made the decision to protest government actions?

Iran government no, but FIFA did nothing to stop or prevent it.  FIFA is the sporting organization in this case.

5 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Iran government no, but FIFA did nothing to stop or prevent it.  FIFA is the sporting organization in this case.

i'm the last person that wants to defend FIFA but you really think the iranians gave them notice? same with the germans. FIFA may have attempted to do something (i have no idea what or even if they would have, of course), but it is a bit hard if you have no clue it is coming. 

4 hours ago, ElJavi76 said:

US vs England today… Any chance of a draw? 😂

Heh, you called it.  England were lethargic, and the US outplayed them for much of the game.

• Like 4