Deep Dive: Rafael Gonzalez Perla

El Presidente

Rafael Gonzalez Perla  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Rafael Gonzalez Perla

In Oz speak...."she's a bloody perla mate" ;)

Love this cigar. So damn consistent. 

Do you like the Rafael Gonzalez Perla?

• Where does it stand compared to other similar cigars. 
  • Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when?
  • How long does it take you to smoke a Rafael Gonzalez Perla
  • Discuss and do the poll!

Rafael Gonzalez Perla :cigar:

CLICK HERE FOR OTHER DEEP DIVES

rafael gonzalez perla PSP OCT 18.jpg

• Like 1

Ditto exactly as @NSXCIGAR has said, even with my preference of the Montecristo No.5 to the Rafael Gonzalez Perlas, although the RG Perlas is an excellent option for a smaller cigar. Possibly the mildest of all the minuto/perlas options (i.e. Montecristo No.5, Rafael Gonzalez Perlas, San Cristobal de la Habana El Principe, Bolivar Coronas Junior, Ramon Allones Small Club Coronas, Partagas Shorts, Cohiba Siglo I et.al). Then again, I too have tended to have them with some age on them so that may askew my opinion on its mildness somewhat! 😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I love them! Great morning smoke and with some age they stand up to any other small smoke I have had. I smoked through my box of 2013's and wish I had bought 3 or 4 more of them at the time!

• Like 1

Great little smoke. I started out preferring the much compared Monte 5 but for character and reliability the RGP has edged in front. Maybe it's that the slightly less sophisticated aspect of the cigar suits my equally less sophisticated self...
My favourite RPG memory was getting my hands on the German 50 cab a few years ago and just rattling through them.

Sent by spooky action at a distance

I really like these, and they are a great starter smoke to introduce others to the delights of a Cuban cigar. I get an earthy richness alongside cocoa and honey. I actually think they are more flavourful and perhaps more complex than Monte, but definitely less refined.

I’m also running low. Come on 24:24!

• Like 2

A staple. Besides the format they haven’t much in common with the Monte Perlas. An offering in its own right. The RG Perlas sides more on the nutty, herbal, (even slightly) floral, spicy end of the spectrum for me. More subtle and complex. I prefer them well aged. At original 3.50ish they were a steal.

Just received current production Perlas with the new bands. Looking quite different (bunch and wrapper), smelling different, much coarser wrapper than used to be. Curious to see whether it’s still the “same” cigar.

B3B2021D-E988-429A-B467-D95293C9D884.jpeg.bea9a0a18e3940605e978e40c3c59d7c.jpeg

• Like 1

Great cigar at a great size for me. Usually take around 45 minutes to smoke so suitable for all seasons in the UK. I’ve also never had a bad RG Perlas, granted my sample size is tiny compared to a lot of people on here.

I think I’d personally take one of these over a Monte 5 but it comes in behind the Party Short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

For me it’s Shorts in first place minuto, then Perlas and Principe tied for second. Reyes don’t count any more, and Sig 1s never did!

Inspired by this thread: I’m smoking a classic, fairly strong example right now. ASR OCT 19. Got a bit of that fungal spice action going.

A0D98661-E9CA-455B-8635-7B5B97A849F0.jpeg.36668244e67d6764543551fe44491c07.jpeg