EAR: I blame NSX for this one: Prunes

EAR= Email Assistance Required. 

"Rob one of your members said that he gets "prunes" from the Vegas Famosos (Deep Dive thread). I love that flavor. It is one of my favorites. Can you let me know any other Cuban cigars where "prune" is a flavor that is regularly achieved?"

Over to you good people :cigar:

OK, guilty as charged but Rob's the one that put that descriptor in the 24:24 in the first place. 

As for the question unfortunately that dried fruit/raisin/prune used to be found in spades in Bolivar. Now you might get a little in a rare BCJ but the Famosos and possibly the Unicos are pretty much the only cigars I know of that have it. 

• Haha 1

Only in VR. Definitely in a good box of Famosos, and I have experienced it in the Unicos too. In any other marca? Nope.

• Like 1

I've gotten the stewed fruit prune or raisin in RyJ Cazzadores, RyJ Romeo Deluxe, and Partagas Presidente.  Like @tiggerTo me, it's similar to molasses since it's a dark sweet flavor.

• Like 3

Not prunes exactly, I might have to revisit the Famosos. But a raisin note is very common for me in a lot of cigars, in fact THE most common one I find. To the extent that I get raisin in about every other cigar I smoke. This has always been like this for me, over almost 2 decades.

Closest I can think of is aged Ramon Allones, specifically the Superiores. It's not as "prune-y" as the Famosos but definitely dried raisins or stone fruit. IME they need a good 3-5 years for their fruit to "dry out".

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Ford2112 said:

RASS to me has that dark fruit element

Yes it does, but the VR marca "prune" flavor notes are different. 

56 minutes ago, SCgarman said:

Yes it does, but the VR marca "prune" flavor notes are different. 

I have only has one Unicos and never a Famoso so this intrigues me . The unico I had was fantastic.

2 hours ago, Ford2112 said:

I have only has one Unicos and never a Famoso so this intrigues me . The unico I had was fantastic.

Agreed. A good Unico is a thing of beauty. Great flavors. And very different from other #2's

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ford2112 said:

I love Famosos but never liked Unicos. I find them quite different. The Unicos is a bit lighter IMO. Less earth, more chocolate. Don't get as much prune either. 

• Thanks 1