Video Review - Romeo y Julieta Hidalgo - TLE MAR 21

MoeFOH

Cracked me up too on the foot band comment. Reminded me of when my dad would add strategic graphic decals to cars on the used car lot. 🤣

Just smoked my first today. Very interesting cigar. I must say I was highly dubious about this line but I was pleasantly surprised. 

Zero possibility of guessing this as an RyJ. Maybe 5% RyJ DNA if you really hunt for it. And that's not a bad thing...

• Thanks 1

Glad that RyJ Linea de Oro has potential like Monte Linea 1935. I'm really excited to see Dianas review on FOH TV, since it isn't too thick compare to rest of RyJ Linea de Oro cigars.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

...don't encourage him :cofcig:

He never lets me down haha. Always curious to see what his shirt says. 

2 hours ago, Connoisseur Kim said:

I'm really excited to see Dianas review

I'm hearing the Dianas are the mildest of the line. The Nobles and Hidalgos seem to be the strongest. My Hidalgos was medium at most but very flavorful. Wouldn't call it rich and certainly a very unique blend. I know it's only one cigar but I would have not objected if they made this it's own brand. Very little RyJ DNA but a unique flavor. Sour apple is the only thing that came to mind but I'm not sure that's exactly right. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I'm hearing the Dianas are the mildest of the line. The Nobles and Hidalgos seem to be the strongest. My Hidalgos was medium at most but very flavorful. Wouldn't call it rich and certainly a very unique blend. I know it's only one cigar but I would have not objected if they made this it's own brand. Very little RyJ DNA but a unique flavor. Sour apple is the only thing that came to mind but I'm not sure that's exactly right. 

Thanks @NSXCIGAR! I'm surprised that Dianas is the mildest of RyJ Linea de Oro. Looks like RyJ Linea de Oro is different from regular RyJs just like Monte Linea 1935 is Monte on steroids.

56 minutes ago, Connoisseur Kim said:

Thanks @NSXCIGAR! I'm surprised that Dianas is the mildest of RyJ Linea de Oro. Looks like RyJ Linea de Oro is different from regular RyJs just like Monte Linea 1935 is Monte on steroids.

You know, as I think about it I would have to say the Dumas is the outlier in the Linea 1935 as well. And similar size to the Dianas. Very interesting. I've always found the Dumas to be a mess whereas the Maltes and Leyenda are much more straight ahead with the Leyenda being the most "complete" so to speak.

Now, I have only heard this second hand and have not had the Dianas. I should have grabbed a Nobles at the shop today but I didn't. I've heard the fan favorite so far is actually the Nobles. 

Again, as far as RyJ, the Hidalgos I had could have been it's own brand. I wish it would have been. RyJ smokers will not find familiarity with it unlike the 1935 which are undoubtedly Monte. 

The issue with making these a "premium line" is the price. At the $11.50 Cuba price for a Hidalgos I'd be thrilled. World price is much higher and while they are very high quality to be sure it would have been better as a separate brand than a premium line. I scored the Hidalgos a 93-94. I'm smoking a Connie 2 right now that is a 93. I had a Media Luna last night that was a 93.

We'll see how they sell after the initial luster wears off. I saw Asians walking out of Club Habana with stacks of Hidalgos today. But the price may be high for what they are. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

You know, as I think about it I would have to say the Dumas is the outlier in the Linea 1935 as well. And similar size to the Dianas. Very interesting. I've always found the Dumas to be a mess whereas the Maltes and Leyenda are much more straight ahead with the Leyenda being the most "complete" so to speak.

Now, I have only heard this second hand and have not had the Dianas. I should have grabbed a Nobles at the shop today but I didn't. I've heard the fan favorite so far is actually the Nobles. 

Again, as far as RyJ, the Hidalgos I had could have been it's own brand. I wish it would have been. RyJ smokers will not find familiarity with it unlike the 1935 which are undoubtedly Monte. 

The issue with making these a "premium line" is the price. At the $11.50 Cuba price for a Hidalgos I'd be thrilled. World price is much higher and while they are very high quality to be sure it would have been better as a separate brand than a premium line. I scored the Hidalgos a 93-94. I'm smoking a Connie 2 right now that is a 93. I had a Media Luna last night that was a 93.

We'll see how they sell after the initial luster wears off. I saw Asians walking out of Club Habana with stacks of Hidalgos today. But the price may be high for what they are. 

Much appreciated @NSXCIGAR! For Linea 1935, I had Dumas and Leyenda from FOH competition sampler in the past; I preferred Leyenda over Dumas, since it's richer and more flavorful than Dumas. Dumas, on the other hand was lackluster compared to Leyenda and its similar sized peers like RASS.

I agree that the problem of premium lines like RyJ Linea de Oro is the price, as there're many other great CCs with more affordable price tag available in the market such as Connie A, Lusi, and Monte 1.

• Like 2