Tidbits from Cuba

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just got back to Fort Lauderdale and through customs. Cigars intact. Only 50, but I had no need to push it on this  trip and really didn't want to get a bunch of great cigars pinched.  I'm catc

Takeways from a discussion with a friend living there yesterday.     Anger on the streets.  The only discussion is how to get out of this hell.  Rolling 6 hour blackouts in

Just got back from Hector's today. They're through with the first harvest and appear to have a very good yield. Second planting of wrapper will be ready just before festival. Wrappers look great in th

At some point Cohiba is just going to use a band that encompasses the whole cigar. 

Call it the Behnke, Binkie, Bonkers (alternatively, the Siglo Behnke Esplendidohhhh)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, El Presidente said:

You would think they will push 1K?

I have no idea. 

I have less interest ;)

Well, it is the cigar apocalypse right now.

They are in a fancy box with 3 bands and I am sure the tobacco leaf is as smooth as Corinthian leather.

1 hour ago, Corylax18 said:

Finding a good Casa has been a tough hoe the last couple weeks. None of my old go-to's have started hosting yet, prices are crazy for the few places that are available. I may spend one night in a new, boutique hotel (only 6 rooms, NOT government owned) and the rest at a Friends house. 

I've already got 2 people hunting for a couple cases of water and Crystal. The Rum never stopped flowing, or even slowed down from what I've heard. I'll pass along more as I learn.

Likely have a better crack and landing a flat of Moosehead Lager. One theory for limited can availability I heard was a lack of aluminum, but that wouldn't explain the lack of domestic bottles. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Psiman said:

3 bands means an extra $25 per cigar and add Cohiba name and add another extra $25 per cigar. There's nothing like a $15 cigar that sells for over $75 and people will claim they are worth it to justify having bought an over priced cigar. Rationalized spending and duping ones self that it's worth it. That's Cohiba in a nutshell basically.

But it's the flagship- so it must be the best 😆

• Haha 1

I've eaten worse when stationed in the Philippines..... 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, JohnnyO said:

The truck is the local dog catcher for the zoo. If the dog(s) caught aren't reclaimed within 72 hours, they get sent to the zoo to pal around with the lions. John

Interesting, was there always a stray dog removal policy on the island or in large cities?

On 2/23/2022 at 9:19 PM, Psiman said:

people will claim they are worth it to justify having bought an over priced cigar.

Never underestimate the human capacity for self-deception. 

From Cory who is currently in Havana

I was at a "going away party" for a very good friend's cousin Tuesday night. He woke up Wednesday to a canceled flight and $2500 USD in limbo. 

The situation is deterioting quickly, everyone wants out. Another very good friend's cousin sold her car and booked flights for she and her girlfriend (both doctors) to Managua on the 7th. The plan is to take their chances with a "Coyote" to get them through Mexico to the border. They view it as their only option at this point. 

The line at the Spanish embassy wrapped around the block. Several "well off" Cubans in the tourism industry are even entertaining the idea of leaving. Used car prices have plummeted over the last several weeks, for the first time in history. A 60 year old Lada was going for around $30-36k late last year. Now? $17k if you're lucky. 

Everyone is in agreement, it's going to get worse before it gets better. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Corylax18 said:

I'll have some time this weekend to put together a few posts on Pinar del Rio/The Harvest, Cigar Shopping and Cuba in general.

Thank you 👍

• Like 1