Tidbits from Cuba

Ok, thanks! Hmm, that would mean suboptimal conditions for tobacco then, extending far out into the hotter/sunnier/wetter season. (I am aware, such had been done before on occasion, mostly in response to calamities...). Plus, usually, the soil would need some rest, when farmers would plant intercropping. But I guess they aren’t immediately replanting the same tobacco fields. Interesting!

• Like 1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just got back to Fort Lauderdale and through customs. Cigars intact. Only 50, but I had no need to push it on this  trip and really didn't want to get a bunch of great cigars pinched.  I'm catc

Takeways from a discussion with a friend living there yesterday.     Anger on the streets.  The only discussion is how to get out of this hell.  Rolling 6 hour blackouts in

Just got back from Hector's today. They're through with the first harvest and appear to have a very good yield. Second planting of wrapper will be ready just before festival. Wrappers look great in th

11 hours ago, Fugu said:

Ok, thanks! Hmm, that would mean suboptimal conditions for tobacco then, extending far out into the hotter/sunnier/wetter season. (I am aware, such had been done before on occasion, mostly in response to calamities...). Plus, usually, the soil would need some rest, when farmers would plant intercropping. But I guess they aren’t immediately replanting the same tobacco fields. Interesting!

The second planting is generally for cigarette tobacco. I first saw it being done on Don Alejandros finca some 20 years ago. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, El Presidente said:

The second planting is generally for cigarette tobacco. I first saw it being done on Don Alejandros finca some 20 years ago. 

Thanks Rob! Indeed, that has also been my understanding so far. But NSX is quoting a second planting of ‘wrapper’ and ‘sun grown’, so that seemed to address a replanting done for cigar tobacco, I wonder (no such distinguishing in cigarette tobacco, since it’s all grown uncovered of course). Which appears quite unusual indeed, at least when done as a regular proceeding. Not only in terms of suboptimal growing conditions. I would also think they’d put the drying process at risk when shifting that ‘second’ harvest more into the wet season.

8 hours ago, Fugu said:

Thanks Rob! Indeed, that has also been my understanding so far. But NSX is quoting a second planting of ‘wrapper’ and ‘sun grown’, so that seemed to address a replanting done for cigar tobacco, I wonder (no such distinguishing in cigarette tobacco, since it’s all grown uncovered of course). Which appears quite unusual indeed, at least when done as a regular proceeding. Not only in terms of suboptimal growing conditions. I would also think they’d put the drying process at risk, when shifting that ‘second’ harvest more into the wet season.

Many have planted in Jan after crops have been wiped out by Nov/Dec weather.  It is a hail Mary pass with mixed success. Rarely do the myriad of smaller operators have the ability to do it. 

Over the past few years, weather has seen many try for a second planting via necessity. The results may have changed their thinking. Keep in mind the weather patterns also appear to have moved (major topic of discussion in PDR). 

However, traditionally, it is cigarette tobacco. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Many have planted in Jan after crops have been wiped out by Nov/Dec weather.  It is a hail Mary pass with mixed success. Rarely do the myriad of smaller operators have the ability to do it. 

Yeah, that would make sense to me.

Just now, Fugu said:

Yeah, that would make sense to me.

Cory and NSX would have more up to date information than I. 

As with most things in Cuba, it is the follow up questions (emphasis on the plural)  that you ask that determines if what is being said is accurate or "pinch of salt" territory.  

• Like 2

Many thanks Cory, for the detailed response! That explains a lot to me. Hector is a brave man. Hopefully he gets through with his second attempt, keeping my fingers crossed for him! 🤞

• Like 1