Looking Good - Wrapper Harvest At Hector Luis Farm

Looking like there will be some nice Lanceros in two years.  Seems like the harvests of tobacco have been very good the last couple of years.  With a lot of cigars at the top of their game in the last 24 months, can we expect the good times to keep on going with 22/23 stock?

• Like 3

Cool post as I await delivery of more of his creations today, thanks! Excuse my ignorance on the subject, but does he supply Habanos with tobacco as well, or is this all for his own rolls?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Islandboy said:

Excuse my ignorance on the subject, but does he supply Habanos with tobacco as well, or is this all for his own rolls?

Haha. This is a loaded question. 

Yes, he provides Tobacco to HSA. He's the youngest winner of the HSA man of the year award. Its what really catalyzed his current fame. That and the fact he grows the best wrapper leaf in the world. 

He is legally allowed to keep 10% of the weight he harvests to do with as he pleases. He and other farmers with access to tourists definitely keep more than 10%. I don't know how much more. It might be 20% it might be 50%. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Corylax18 said:

Haha. This is a loaded question. 

Yes, he provides Tobacco to HSA. He's the youngest winner of the HSA man of the year award. Its what really catalyzed his current fame. That and the fact he grows the best wrapper leaf in the world. 

He is legally allowed to keep 10% of the weight he harvests to do with as he pleases. He and other farmers with access to tourists definitely keep more than 10%. I don't know how much more. It might be 20% it might be 50%. 

Thanks! I find it fascinating that he can put out his own blends that taste nothing at all like anything in the HSA catalog, while using the same leaf presumably.

27 minutes ago, Islandboy said:

Thanks! I find it fascinating that he can put out his own blends that taste nothing at all like anything in the HSA catalog, while using the same leaf presumably.

HSA doesn't have the luxury of rolling with only top quality leaf unfortunately. At least not 100% top quality leaf. Hector is known for his wrapper leaf, but the filler leaf isnt bad either. HSA has such a large volume of tobacco and variance within it that they have a very hard job. 

Think of an HSA cigar as a large Champagne houses NV cuvee. Compiled from several varieties of grapes, grown in various years, all over the region. Blended for consistency from year to year more than any other characteristic. 

Hector's Cigars a like a Champagne Growers Prestige Cuvee. One farm, one varietal, one winemaker. No corners cut, no trickery needed to cover up lower quality raw materials. Just the truest expression of the farm possible. 

In all fairness to HSA the system just isn't setup for them to deliver cigars like Hector's. But as Nino alluded to above, even if it was, and even if a certain distributor's fibs where true, they wouldn't be able to deliver as consistently as the free market does. 

14 minutes ago, Corylax18 said:

HSA doesn't have the luxury of rolling with only top quality leaf unfortunately. At least not 100% top quality leaf. Hector is known for his wrapper leaf, but the filler leaf isnt bad either. HSA has such a large volume of tobacco and variance within it that they have a very hard job. 

Think of an HSA cigar as a large Champagne houses NV cuvee. Compiled from several varieties of grapes, grown in various years, all over the region. Blended for consistency from year to year more than any other characteristic. 

Hector's Cigars a like a Champagne Growers Prestige Cuvee. One farm, one varietal, one winemaker. No corners cut, no trickery needed to cover up lower quality raw materials. Just the truest expression of the farm possible. 

In all fairness to HSA the system just isn't setup for them to deliver cigars like Hector's. But as Nino alluded to above, even if it was, and even if a certain distributor's fibs where true, they wouldn't be able to deliver as consistently as the free market does. 

This makes perfect sense to me. I’ve recently read testimony from at least one source of so-called “expert” insight that suggested all of the superior product from any given farm goes to HSA, and what’s left for the farm rolls is low quality. I just chuckled when I read this...my palate knew better.

4 minutes ago, Islandboy said:

This makes perfect sense to me. I’ve recently read testimony from at least one source of so-called “expert” insight that suggested all of the superior product from any given farm goes to HSA, and what’s left for the farm rolls is low quality. I just chuckled when I read this...my palate knew better.

That may be the case for a lot of farms. Not every farm/farmer has the right mix to do what Hector, Salvador, Papo, and others do. These guys are uniquely able to monetize themselves and their products at levels far higher than the state pays. But as we've seen from a lot of recent articles, the state doesn't pay squat, so they do more than anyone to foster the black market. 

I would venture to say the best tobaccos from the Very best farms never goes anywhere near HSA. They probably do get the best leaf from hundreds or thousands of farms though. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Islandboy said:

Yep, makes perfect sense for the farmer to give his best product ( and his virgin daughter ) to the state/HSA and keep the crumbs for himself - that must have been one hell of a smart "expert" ... Irony off  :-)

You are right to chuckle, I would have rolled my eyes.

24 minutes ago, Nino said:

Yep, makes perfect sense for the farmer to give his best product ( and his virgin daughter ) to the state/HSA and keep the crumbs for himself - that must have been one hell of a smart "expert" ... Irony off  🙂

You are right to chuckle, I would have rolled my eyes.

Haha...I read stuff on other forums when I want a few laughs but no facts, and I know to come here when I want both :D

18 minutes ago, Silverstix said:

How long does it generally take for Cuban tobacco to go from harvest to the rolling table?  

3 to 4 years mas o menos or +/-  ...

• Thanks 1

Great stuff/info here…and amazing pics/images.

Some day I’d like to see these farms with my own eyes & meet the proud people who make the cigars we all enjoy so much. Until then, I greatly appreciate threads like this, as well as the conversations above - truly fascinating. Thanks @Nino and others for the dialogue & insights. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Nino said:

And pictures from my friend at HLP today - the sun grown tobacco ( as opposed to the shade grown wrapper ) growing nicely.
Guess it is a second planting.

I thought it seemed a bit early to be harvesting (its usually late February-Early March) But Hector must have planted that Shade tobacco in early November, maybe even late October. 

He definitely did two separate plantings. I cant wait to ask him why! 

34 minutes ago, Corylax18 said:

I thought it seemed a bit early to be harvesting (its usually late February-Early March) But Hector must have planted that Shade tobacco in early November, maybe even late October. 

He definitely did two separate plantings. I cant wait to ask him why! 

I have asked my friend if they are first or second planting and when they'll be harvested and will report back.

10 hours ago, Nino said:

I have asked my friend if they are first or second planting and when they'll be harvested and will report back.

He just replied - it is first planting and will be harvested in March.

• Like 1