world view of aussie response to covid - we do not fare well.

The original vid was from an interview on Ratones Coloraos back in 2000. That guy (Juan Joya Borja) was decribing a time when he worked as a kitchen porter. He had set some paella pans out to soak in the ocean, and in the morning when he went to get them, they had washed away with the tide.

Unfortunately, he passed away earlier this year.

Come to Florida! We have plenty of COVID to share with EVERYONE!!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cazador said:

Australia’s next to Germany, right?

Correct, I can attest to that.

Was in one of those touristy Bars/caves in Madrid's Plaza Mayor with a girl friend and a couple of musicians went by the tables playing music according to nationality of the guests - they asked my friend where she was from, she replied Austria and they played Waltzing Matilda ...

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, Nino said:

Correct, I can attest to that.

Was in one of those touristy Bars/caves in Madrid's Plaza Mayor with a girl friend and a couple of musicians went by the tables playing music according to nationality of the guests - they asked my friend where she was from, she replied Austria and they played Waltzing Matilda ...

nino, when i worked in DC late 80s/early 90s, you can't believe the number of people who thought that. i also got great stuff like 'australia is a small island near hawaii'. everybody loved australia but few had a clue back then. i got stuff like 'love your lions and tigers'. 

and three times i was told by people how impressed they were that i had learnt english so well. the last time, this woman looked at me and said, 'you're from australia? but you speak english better than i do". i'd had enough by then so just said, "yes i do". 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

nino, when i worked in DC late 80s/early 90s, you can't believe the number of people who thought that. i also got great stuff like 'australia is a small island near hawaii'. everybody loved australia but few had a clue back then. i got stuff like 'love your lions and tigers'. 

and three times i was told by people how impressed they were that i had learnt english so well. the last time, this woman looked at me and said, 'you're from australia? but you speak english better than i do". i'd had enough by then so just said, "yes i do". 

I remember Gillard saying something similar when she visited the US, but that was more her accent confusing the kids.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2021 at 4:37 PM, Ken Gargett said:

Until I left texas back in the early 90s I reckoned half of Australia was visiting or living in texas. Australians everywhere. My pals and I figured that there must be similarities in environment, though naturally we thought everyone should live here. Heck, when I moved back two of my neighbors proudly had their Australian flags out front day and night, as if to confirm my youthful theory.