Review - Saint Luis Rey Regios - GOB JUL 20

MoeFOH

Nice review guys!  Been looking acquire a box of SLR Regio's for a while now - just haven't been lucky enough to be quick enough on 24:24.

Yeah I grabbed my first box of Regios about a year ago and I was so impressed that I have grabbed 2 more boxes since!

IMO anyone who is a fan of RASS owes it to themselves to at least try the Regios. Undoubtedly different cigars, but both have an intensity and richness that wonderfully mingles with fruit notes that really make both cigars shine. Just my two cents anyway!

5 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

anyone who is a fan of RASS owes it to themselves to at least try the Regios.

I think the current Regios are much better than any RASS I've ever had. I didn't get the peanut that Rob did but I got a deep, rich toasted tobacco with blackberry or rhubarb. The actual berry flavor wasn't super pronounced though and the cigar isn't that sweet. Medium plus for sure. There is definitely ligero in these now. 

Unfortunately, I also experienced the same construction issues Ken did. The wrappers were thick and it seemed they weren't underfilled but not tightly packed. There was a lot of space between the wrapper and binder or binder and filler. Constant relighting and wonky burning. 

But clearly, they've changed the blend on these Regios. Used to be a very mild cigar. The fruity character is still there but these are in no way mild by any stretch.

Notwithstanding construction, I would put current Regios above RASS, Ex 4, RyJ SC, ERDM CS, PL Picadores, BRC, Epi 2, Party Maduro No. 1, Punch SdP, Monte PE and QdO 50 I'm terms of flavor quality.

I would not put it above Connie 1, Famosos, CoRo, Galanes, Media Luna or JL S2.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Currently loving a box of GOB AGO 20. Haven't had a Regio for quite some time.          Rasberry jam, Summer pudding, Barnyard, Manure, a bit Punch juicyfruit character going on,  nuttiness.           Evoking memories of fruit picking as a kid.   Wonderful stuff. 

Very complex for a relatively small cigar

• Like 1

On 8/9/2021 at 8:14 PM, NSXCIGAR said:

I think the current Regios are much better than any RASS I've ever had. I didn't get the peanut that Rob did but I got a deep, rich toasted tobacco with blackberry or rhubarb. The actual berry flavor wasn't super pronounced though and the cigar isn't that sweet. Medium plus for sure. There is definitely ligero in these now. 

Unfortunately, I also experienced the same construction issues Ken did. The wrappers were thick and it seemed they weren't underfilled but not tightly packed. There was a lot of space between the wrapper and binder or binder and filler. Constant relighting and wonky burning. 

But clearly, they've changed the blend on these Regios. Used to be a very mild cigar. The fruity character is still there but these are in no way mild by any stretch.

Notwithstanding construction, I would put current Regios above RASS, Ex 4, RyJ SC, ERDM CS, PL Picadores, BRC, Epi 2, Party Maduro No. 1, Punch SdP, Monte PE and QdO 50 I'm terms of flavor quality.

I would not put it above Connie 1, Famosos, CoRo, Galanes, Media Luna or JL S2.

I'm in agreement ... I have them above the RASS at the moment. I've smoked 2 and the first was a sh!tshow as far as construction the second one was well put together.

11 hours ago, 99call said:

Currently loving a box of GOB AGO 20. Haven't had a Regio for quite some time.          Rasberry jam, Summer pudding, Barnyard, Manure, a bit Punch juicyfruit character going on,  nuttiness.           Evoking memories of fruit picking as a kid.   Wonderful stuff. 

raspberry jam and manure. always a winning combo.

but i know what you mean. 

was a good cigar. 

• Haha 4

On 8/17/2021 at 3:45 AM, 99call said:

It does have all these things. Mine certainly weren't complex and I wish the berry character was more pronounced. 

I was very reminded of LGC and how much time it takes for the flavors to sort out, especially the D5. There's a chance that 5-7 years really takes these Regios to the next level. Could certainly have the potential to be a 96-97 pointer. 

6 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

It does have all these things. Mine certainly weren't complex and I wish the berry character was more pronounced. 

I was very reminded of LGC and how much time it takes for the flavors to sort out, especially the D5. There's a chance that 5-7 years really takes these Regios to the next level. Could certainly have the potential to be a 96-97 pointer. 

By complexity, it was more the juxtaposition of starkly contrasting flavours,  rather than any evolution, i.e.  a bright summery fresh berry flavour, and then much dirtier farmyard aromas/flavour.   I alway find it intriguing and complex when a cigar manages to do two things at once that a starkly different, but in perfect unison. 

Similarly I have high hopes for these, but It will require a few more box purchases for me personally as, I'm struggling to keep my hands off them. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 99call said:

By complexity, it was more the juxtaposition of starkly contrasting flavours,  rather than any evolution, i.e.  a bright summery fresh berry flavour, and then much dirtier farmyard aromas/flavour.   I alway find it intriguing and complex when a cigar manages to do two things at once that a starkly different, but in perfect unison. 

Sounds like yours were definitely better or further along than mine. I got most of those but much more muted in all aspects. That's why I'm optimistic they'll break out. How's construction been on yours? On mine the wrappers were thick and about half were loosely rolled. Not underfilled but the more tightly rolled and solid sticks performed much better. Seemed like there was a lot of space between the wrapper and binder or binder and filler. 

1 minute ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Seemed like there was a lot of space between the wrapper and binder or binder and filler. 

I absolutely hate it when that happens, it always feels like such a needless QC oversight.  I wonder how it happens, if the moisture related shrinkage/expansion?

Sorry to hear you've had issues, gladly i've not experienced any as yet, but as we all know it can be a crap shoot.   I do usually try to avoid summer rolled boxes but this AGO box seems ok so far. 

Hope you have better luck if you decide to double or triple down

• 1 year later...
On 8/19/2021 at 4:20 PM, 99call said:

I do usually try to avoid summer rolled boxes but this AGO box seems ok so far. 

Sorry to bring this back from the dead! I was doing some reading about the SLR's and I thought this comment was interesting.  What's the thought process behind this and is it common practice?

18 minutes ago, Silverstix said:

What's the thought process behind this and is it common practice?

No I don't think it's common practice, it's just the thought that, cigars rolled in the hottest months of the year in Cuba, might be harder to roll, and may change more significantly once they arrive in the uk.    i.e. if they are rolled at a high RH, then when they dry out in the UK, they could be underfilled etc.  

It may be an idea based on total BS, but I just imagine working with tobacco when it's hot as hell, probably doesn't lead to the best results. 

• Like 1