Video Review - Bolivar Belicosos Finos - SOR SEP 20

MoeFOH

On 2/19/2021 at 11:50 AM, prshah25 said:

How do you define mongrel? Is it strength? 

I have the same question. To me it sounds like what an Islay whiskey would be vs. a Speyside. The Islay being the "mongrel". Is that an apt comparison because i have no idea?

17 minutes ago, jonnyfromiranny said:

I have the same question. To me it sounds like what an Islay whiskey would be vs. a Speyside. The Islay being the "mongrel". Is that an apt comparison because i have no idea?

Interesting comparison.  If you wanted a whiskey comparison, I’d say compare a cask strength to a regular.  There’s that extra bite/burn in a cask where as the regular is smooth and clean.  In this case I don’t think mongrel is a burning sensation, it’s just meaning not as refined.  For me Islay vs Speyside difference isn’t about refinement as both can be very refined, as it is about the smokiness to the peat.  Hope that helps. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, mprach024 said:

Interesting comparison.  If you wanted a whiskey comparison, I’d say compare a cask strength to a regular.  There’s that extra bite/burn in a cask where as the regular is smooth and clean.  In this case I don’t think mongrel is a burning sensation, it’s just meaning not as refined.  For me Islay vs Speyside difference isn’t about refinement as both can be very refined, as it is about the smokiness to the peat.  Hope that helps. 

Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

Agreed, @mprach024 - I take it more as a refinement quality than a taste. But what do I know?  My confused self googled the term and guess what the top (and most relevant) hit was???  A link to a few old threads on FOH about Rob and his made up word, having this very conversation. 

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, mprach024 said:

fully agree. that is an excellent comparison.