Why Do I Ever Smoke Anything Else?

3 hours ago, PigFish said:

I don't look at CCs as brands really. Typically I view the mixed bag, mixed factory production of cigars as vitolas. Take me back a few years and I could simply smoke PCs. They really are the only cigars I need. If time and cost were no object, that could be upscaled to Coronas or Lonsdales. I still believe that the perfect cigar is a Coronas.

Cheers! -Piggy

Piggy, this is kind of head scratcher for me. Are you saying just buy the cheapest vitola you enjoy because there is no difference in brands? The brands are made in different factories, but the blenders send the correct crops/leaves to those factories to be made, in the order that they are to be rolled within that bundle. The only difference the factory makes is the consistency of that brand (rollers, QC/management, storage conditions)

Are you saying there is no difference in a upmann and a Por Larranaga? I agree you should shop by your favorite vitola, but you shouldn't ignore brand. A monte #4 is clearly a monte and nothing like any of the 8 RyJ PCs.

If you're saying a certain vitola appeals to you, stick to that, then I agree 100%. @Deeg would do himself a service by also trying MdO #4 or Monte especial #2 etc... but there are clear flavor differences and preferences to be found in brand. Ie what is your favorite brand for x vitola. I have favorite brands over many vitolas. I like minutos all the way up to robusto.

No disrespect here just confused. I base my storage off your posts, but this seems out there for me, so I think I'm misinterpreting.

57 minutes ago, BoliDan said:

Piggy, this is kind of head scratcher for me. Are you saying just buy the cheapest vitola you enjoy because there is no difference in brands? The brands are made in different factories, but the blenders send the correct crops/leaves to those factories to be made, in the order that they are to be rolled within that bundle. The only difference the factory makes is the consistency of that brand (rollers, QC/management, storage conditions)

Are you saying there is no difference in a upmann and a Por Larranaga? I agree you should shop by your favorite vitola, but you shouldn't ignore brand. A monte #4 is clearly a monte and nothing like any of the 8 RyJ PCs.

If you're saying a certain vitola appeals to you, stick to that, then I agree 100%. @Deeg would do himself a service by also trying MdO #4 or Monte especial #2 etc... but there are clear flavor differences and preferences to be found in brand. Ie what is your favorite brand for x vitola. I have favorite brands over many vitolas. I like minutos all the way up to robusto.

No disrespect here just confused. I base my storage off your posts, but this seems out there for me, so I think I'm misinterpreting.

I am not just saying the cheapest cigar...

First, Tabacuba is a national, government run cigar company. There are brands, but I proffer in name only. (Go ahead folks, argue away!)

Branding requires a focus, an individual interest, an identity beyond the color of the box. MHO... Without undivided interest, commitment, integral management, manpower and focus, there will no brand profile. 

I submit the last two columns in last years blind tasting comp. Either this group of people don't know the cigars they smoke at all, or the cigars they smoke don't actually have a brand profile. You cannot have it both ways folks...!

What does it tell you when only a few that claim to know a Cohiba when they taste it, or an Upmann for that matter, cannot blindly tell one brand from another?

While I have my share of pet theories, above all, I am an empiricist...!

-the Pig

BLIND TASTING COMPETITION 2018 FINAL .pdf

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BoliDan said:

Oh believe me, I’m keeping my eyes open for MdO #4s but they’re pretty rare these days. I smoked quite a few LGCs a few years back, and it was always one of my favorite marcas.  Something in that intense citrus fruitiness that exemplified Cuban twang for me.

As for Especial #2s, that’s on my to-try list for sure. I like the idea of the slightly wider ring gauge on that one as an interesting alternative.

• Like 1

Trinidad fundy - has to be.  The first one I had was in a shop in Canada.  I owner came up to me when I was halfway through and simple asked how I was enjoying it.  My immediate, instinctual reaction was simply to say “this is what a real cigar tastes like.”

ahhh, a quick trip memory lane ladies and gents.  

23 hours ago, PigFish said:

I am not just saying the cheapest cigar...

First, Tabacuba is a national, government run cigar company. There are brands, but I proffer in name only. (Go ahead folks, argue away!)

Branding requires a focus, an individual interest, an identity beyond the color of the box. MHO... Without undivided interest, commitment, integral management, manpower and focus, there will no brand profile. 

I submit the last two columns in last years blind tasting comp. Either this group of people don't know the cigars they smoke at all, or the cigars they smoke don't actually have a brand profile. You cannot have it both ways folks...!

What does it tell you when only a few that claim to know a Cohiba when they taste it, or an Upmann for that matter, cannot blindly tell one brand from another?

While I have my share of pet theories, above all, I am an empiricist...!

-the Pig

BLIND TASTING COMPETITION 2018 FINAL .pdf 202.34 kB · 9 downloads

I believe this maybe true for some, especially those that do not retrohale, because that is where those telltale flavors exist. As someone that retrohales 100% of the time, I honestly think I can screw up a cohiba, but not an upmann. Cuban seems to have more flavor variety to me. Unlike Nicuraguan. estelli is very easily detected across all brands. Even Dominican share similarities. But partagas, monte, upmann, and boli seem extremely unique, to me. anyway. I think it's the other way around. Buy NCs by vitola, but CCs by vitola + brand, because there is just more flavor breadth. I'm sure its subjective. I'd do a blind test just to put my pride in check.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BoliDan said:

I believe this maybe true for some, especially those that do not retrohale, because that is where those telltale flavors exist. As someone that retrohales 100% of the time, I honestly think I can screw up a cohiba, but not an upmann. Cuban seems to have more flavor variety to me. Unlike Nicuraguan. estelli is very easily detected across all brands. Even Dominican share similarities. But partagas, monte, upmann, and boli seem extremely unique, to me. anyway. I think it's the other way around. Buy NCs by vitola, but CCs by vitola + brand, because there is just more flavor breadth. I'm sure its subjective. I'd do a blind test just to put my pride in check.

I never want to find myself telling another guy/gal what he can taste. However someone that can blindly taste a 'brand profile' is certainly in the minority here. They exist in such a small percentage as I would call it luck, or an anomaly.

Almost any kid can tell Coke from Pepsi... Yes, not the same animal, but a brand profile will mean the same for both commodities. 

I have been smoking cigars for over 35 years now. Hell, I have known Rob for near 20... I used to believe in profiles myself, but I have just been empirically proven out of the belief.

How many construction problems do you see in cigars? Me, I see a lot. If a taste has a recipe, and these stooges can't even get that right much of the time, how can their cigars live up to a taste derived from a recipe?

To me there is no Upmann taste! No Partagas taste, no Bolivar taste... If there was, blind tastings would prove it existed. There are simply cigars, the good, the bad and the in-between.

...a little food for thought! Cheers! -Piggy

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PigFish said:

I never want to find myself telling another guy/gal what he can taste. However someone that can blindly taste a 'brand profile' is certainly in the minority here. They exist in such a small percentage as I would call it luck, or an anomaly.

Almost any kid can tell Coke from Pepsi... Yes, not the same animal, but a brand profile will mean the same for both commodities. 

I have been smoking cigars for over 35 years now. Hell, I have known Rob for near 20... I used to believe in profiles myself, but I have just been empirically proven out of the belief.

How many construction problems do you see in cigars? Me, I see a lot. If a taste has a recipe, and these stooges can't even get that right much of the time, how can their cigars live up to a taste derived from a recipe?

To me there is no Upmann taste! No Partagas taste, no Bolivar taste... If there was, blind tastings would prove it existed. There are simply cigars, the good, the bad and the in-between.

...a little food for thought! Cheers! -Piggy

Agree 100%. A cigar is either good or bad. Sometimes from the same box. 

I don’t like to do reviews because many times I’ve disliked something that most others like, and vise versa. I don’t think it’s because others like a particular taste that I don’t, but I don’t believe we taste the same flavors. Besides, trying to discern different flavors sort of ruins the overall experience. Too much effort. 

I do read other’s reviews and look for similarities across them. But my biggest consideration is whether it was generally liked or disliked. 

• Like 1

Well, there are details about the variables of the sample before I declared empirical victory. 1) have all of these people even had enough from 'x' marca to have the imprint in thier brain. 2) do they retrohale ( sorry this one is immutable for me, from my recollection very few FoHers do this and its imperative to pick up different flavors). Excluding all 'bad' variables, I bet I could find statistical significance. (WTF happened on cigar number 3?)

4 hours ago, PigFish said:

I have been smoking cigars for over 35 years now. Hell, I have known Rob for near 20... 

Nope. Fully aware of your experience and reputation. I respect you, and as I said previously my cigar ecosystem is based on your history on this website. I just disagree with you here. Maybe I'll get in on the blind test this year and make myself the fool. 

Cheers, Dan

On 7/6/2019 at 10:03 PM, Fuzz said:

That's my uni days. Mi goreng for breakfast and lunch, every day. I still eat mi goreng, especially like the Indomie brand.

I signed in just to like this ☝️!!!!