Por Larranaga Picadores - Caramel?

The PL Picadores have been around now about 5 years or so, has time given them those PL caramel flavours that are found in the aged PC?

7 minutes ago, Webbo said:

The PL Picadores

To me the picadores don't much in common with standard PL blending/ taste.    the 2.5 boxes i've smoked through were fairly light of wrapper, almost a kind of golden claro glow to them (which is funnily enough how you see most of the advertised boxes).   

I did have one from a box pass that was a hell of a lot dark, that has i tiny bit more PL in it.  but for me they are much more light and vegetal.  Like the bastard love child of a 

Coro, Vegueros and a PLPC. 

In conclusion, I would say that sweetness is less caramel, and more a sweet pea puree sort of thing going on.    I will caveat this by saying its sort of specific to the lighter wrapper Picadores.   

Much like the R&J Cazadores being a change of pace in the R&J line (ie knock your socks off strong), I do find it confusing that many don't seem to have picked up on the fact that the Picadores, don't seem to be standard PL blend

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, CaptainQuintero said:

I've enjoyed them but they don't have the strength of character

I completely agree with this, Whilst I've really enjoyed them, they really suffer being in a marca that holds such a distinctive blend. 

In a strange way, I think they would of been received with much more acclaim if they would of had a bit of info on the internal slip i.e   this blending was based on the discontinued Picadores from the 1970 etc etc blah blah, whether its true of not.     I think people are expecting an indulgent strong caramel bomb, and mark it down for the lack of it. and not really focusing on the  positives it does possess.

6 minutes ago, 99call said:

I completely agree with this, Whilst I've really enjoyed them, they really suffer being in a marca that holds such a distinctive blend. 

In a strange way, I think they would of been received with much more acclaim if they would of had a bit of info on the internal slip i.e   this blending was based on the discontinued Picadores from the 1970 etc etc blah blah, whether its true of not.     I think people are expecting an indulgent strong caramel bomb, and mark it down for the lack of it. and not really focusing on the  positives it does possess.

I think especially, after the 07 RE Robusto, I was expecting something between that and the PLPC. I mean it's very nice just not a brawler with a big mouth like I was hoping for.

I wonder how the sales are going, I seems to be doing ok by what people say and are reacting

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, CaptainQuintero said:

I wonder how the sales are going, I seems to be doing ok by what people say and are reacting

I reckon the sales are nowhere where they could be.  In short they are letting down the PLPC crowd, where they could be appealing to the Hoyo Epi 2, connie 1 crowd. 

Habanos have cottoned on to how flashy boxes can lead to increased sales.   I really wish that they would realise that there is a hunger in cigar enthusiasts for blending information......or FFS any information!!    They will never ever do it, as they don't want to have to live up to a promise on quality or design,  but if the internal slips or outer boxes had a bit more info about the cigars contained with in,  a la Rafael Gonzales,  I think buyers would respond positively. 

• Like 2

Good to know.   I always have some PL MonteCarlos ready for a morning coffee and I’m trying to not touch my PL Petit coronas till years from now, But if they were anything other than their signature flavour profile I wouldn’t be into it. Thanks for the heads up. 

6 minutes ago, HumidorJuan said:

Good to know.   I always have some PL MonteCarlos ready for a morning coffee and I’m trying to not touch my PL Petit coronas till years from now, But if they were anything other than their signature flavour profile I wouldn’t be into it. Thanks for the heads up. 

From what you've said here, ERDM Demi Tasse might be right up your street.  Where as the Montecarlo is intense with burnt caramel and light leather,  the Demi tasse is dark honey and rye bread.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 99call said:

From what you've said here, ERDM Demi Tasse might be right up your street.  Where as the Montecarlo is intense with burnt caramel and light leather,  the Demi tasse is dark honey and rye bread.

I’ve had one and really enjoyed it! Hard box to find so I await the 2424 appearance 

• Like 1