Major Obstacle Returns

Connoisseur Kim

After completing the Cigar Wiki Project, I decided to go with coolidor instead of wineador since coolidor is more affordable and larger than wineador. Unfortunately, none of wood workshops in my country have Spanish Cedar since it is too unaffordable and rare for them to import. Because of this, I'm thinking about ordering Spanish Cedar shelves and trays from John Nelson for coolidor and travel humidor project. For those who had the same problem of mine before, how did you overcome that issue? Did you order from wood craftsmen in US like John Nelson?

You don't really need it in my opinion, there's plenty enough cedar ply etc in your cabs/boxes to give you a bit of the smell and to give material to create a bit of a Rh buffer. I've seen quite a few people line projects and walk ins with Spanish cedar which resulted in the smell being incredibly overpowering.

I wouldn't get too hung up on it, my storage is a decade old and hasn't ever had additional cedar in, the aroma is still very heavy in rich tobacco and cedar when opened

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I bought some blocks that are like half inch by half inch by four inches.  Place thos on the bottom to rise up the boxes.  Then just store in the boxes on top.  Gives the cedar scent, moisture control, and a rise in case god forbid you get standing moisture it's on the bottom.

A cedar tray here and there for loose sticks but now I have enough empty cabs for that though

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, CaptainQuintero said:

You don't really need it in my opinion, there's plenty enough cedar ply etc in your cabs/boxes to give you a bit of the smell and to give material to create a bit of a Rh buffer. I've seen quite a few people line projects and walk ins with Spanish cedar which resulted in the smell being incredibly overpowering.

I wouldn't get too hung up on it, my storage is a decade old and hasn't ever had additional cedar in, the aroma is still very heavy in rich tobacco and cedar when opened

55 minutes ago, Bucky McSwensen said:

I bought some blocks that are like half inch by half inch by four inches.  Place thos on the bottom to rise up the boxes.  Then just store in the boxes on top.  Gives the cedar scent, moisture control, and a rise in case god forbid you get standing moisture it's on the bottom.

A cedar tray here and there for loose sticks but now I have enough empty cabs for that though

Thanks! For Coolidor (Coleman 150 Quart Xtreme 6 Marine Cooler) it would be 100% box storage exclusive unlike previous wineador project. For Travel Humidor (Pelican Storm iM2200), I will put cigars, cigar cutter, cigar lighter and Stinky Cigar Ashtray as well as 320g 65% Boveda Pack, and not sure how layout for this should be.

If you are doing a coolidor I would just line the bottom with cedar sheet inserts from empty dress boxes.  That’s what I do in mine. Works great and saves a lot of space as they are thin. And if you break one, who cares? Just put another one in. 

I used to be really concerned about having cedar sheets in my coolers but now I realize it’s not a big deal. The dress boxes already have cedar inserts inside anyway.  I wouldn’t worry about it at all, especially if the cooler is completely dedicated to box storage. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Cayman17 said:

If you are doing a coolidor I would just line the bottom with cedar sheet inserts from empty dress boxes.  That’s what I do in mine. Works great and saves a lot of space as they are thin. And if you break one, who cares? Just put another one in. 

I used to be really concerned about having cedar sheets in my coolers but now I realize it’s not a big deal. The dress boxes already have cedar inserts inside anyway.  I wouldn’t worry about it at all, especially if the cooler is completely dedicated to box storage. 

Coleman 150 Quart Xtreme 6 Marine Cooler

Much appreciated! I'm not expected putting cedar sheets on the bottom of coolidor like tupperdor can be effective! I also wonder how should I place the USB fan if I use that cooler horizontally.

Since that cooler has dividers, I just simply can put cigar boxes on these dividers as well as placing some cedar sheets for additional aroma on the bottom if I use it vertically as cigar boxes have plenty of cedar aroma like others said. ?

1 hour ago, LonesomeHabanoAficionado said:

Coleman 150 Quart Xtreme 6 Marine Cooler

Much appreciated! I'm not expected putting cedar sheets on the bottom of coolidor like tupperdor can be effective! I also wonder how should I place the USB fan if I use that cooler horizontally.

Since that cooler has dividers, I just simply can put cigar boxes on these dividers as well as placing some cedar sheets for additional aroma on the bottom if I use it vertically as cigar boxes have plenty of cedar aroma like others said. ?

Dividers and fans take up space. I say pack that cooler as tight as you can and don’t worry about it. There are no fans or dividers in mine. 

032B643E-8BB6-47D1-97F8-AD294C470F6A.jpeg

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Cayman17 said:

Dividers and fans take up space. I say pack that cooler as tight as you can and don’t worry about it. There are no fans or dividers in mine. 

032B643E-8BB6-47D1-97F8-AD294C470F6A.jpeg

Thanks! Since you do not have fan in your coolidor, do you just open it every 3-4 weeks for air circulation like tupperdor? 150 Qt coolers has dividers so they can be used as shelves if I want to use coolidor vertically.

Okay I understand now. I stack my coolers horizontally so I never thought about shelves.  I open my coolers every few weeks to try to cram another box in somewhere, and I guess that lets some fresh air in. I’m more concerned about room temperature than air circulation- the basement where my coolers sit stays around 64 degrees Fahrenheit all year long and that’s really all I care about.  If a cooler stayed closed for an entire year it would not concern me.  I’m no expert but air circulation (at least in a cooler with stable temp and humidity) is not something I worry about. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cayman17 said:

Okay I understand now. I stack my coolers horizontally so I never thought about shelves.  I open my coolers every few weeks to try to cram another box in somewhere, and I guess that lets some fresh air in. I’m more concerned about room temperature than air circulation- the basement where my coolers sit stays around 64 degrees Fahrenheit all year long and that’s really all I care about.  If a cooler stayed closed for an entire year it would not concern me.  I’m no expert but air circulation (at least in a cooler with stable temp and humidity) is not something I worry about. 

Yeah the temperature can be an issue especially summer. Lucky that you have cool areas like basement!

12 hours ago, nKostyan said:

Just open the directory book for the wood and choose wood in your region with the maximum absorption. For example, beech has features not much worse than the cedar.

Thanks but since I'm going to use coolidor as box storage, I can just go with not using woods by adding wire closet shelves instead as like others said cigar boxes have cedars to maintain their aroma, act as RH buffer. Also, I found that no wood route can save more money from seasoning and hunting down wood shelves!

Random Coolidor 1Random Coolidor 2Random Coolidor Pic 3

• Like 2

After completing the Cigar Wiki Project, I decided to go with coolidor instead of wineador since coolidor is more affordable and larger than wineador. Unfortunately, none of wood workshops in my country have Spanish Cedar since it is too unaffordable and rare for them to import. Because of this, I'm thinking about ordering Spanish Cedar shelves and trays from John Nelson for coolidor and travel humidor project. For those who had the same problem of mine before, how did you overcome that issue? Did you order from wood craftsmen in US like John Nelson?

To answer tour original question, I have used John Nelson in the past and am extremely happy with his work. I helped my boss set up his winedor and found John to be very helpful and responsive in getting some custom shelves and drawers made. I also have a beautiful wood humidor from John that I won in a fundraiser raffle that holds humidity exceptionally well. I am traveling right now but will try and remember to post a picture of it when I get home.

As far as trays for my Coolidors, I purchased several of these from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Spanish-Cedar-Tray-Compatible-Importers/dp/B00DHFGUU4

I’m not sure if you have access to them or not but they do a great job of helping to organize my singles within my coolers.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rupe said:

To answer tour original question, I have used John Nelson in the past and am extremely happy with his work. I helped my boss set up his winedor and found John to be very helpful and responsive in getting some custom shelves and drawers made. I also have a beautiful wood humidor from John that I won in a fundraiser raffle that holds humidity exceptionally well. I am traveling right now but will try and remember to post a picture of it when I get home.

As far as trays for my Coolidors, I purchased several of these from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Spanish-Cedar-Tray-Compatible-Importers. I’m not sure if you have access to them or not but they do a great job of helping to organize my singles within my coolers.

I really like the work of John Nelson honestly (saw the pics) but can be pricey due to international shipping cost. For trays, they would be used for Travel Humidor project not Coolidor since Coolidor will be 100% box storage. However, cigar boxes are most likely to be used in Travel humidor due to difficulty of sourcing customised Cedar trays.

Note. The Cedar trays on Amazon seems sold out for now

7 hours ago, Thirds said:

Thanks! I'll look for it!

7 hours ago, KnightsAnole said:

Going to second the John Nelson work,

i have 6 vented cedar shelves from him that are flawless, great guy, excellent communication, top notch.

I definitely want to buy Cedar shelves from him!

6 hours ago, FatherOfPugs said:

For added cedar, I just keep the inserts from boxes and tubes and place them in my coolidors. They work well and you've already purchased them!

Like tupperdor?

55 minutes ago, Wookie said:

I just pack my Coolidors tight and use a hygrometer and humidification beads. Not sure cedar matters...
68f5cb708bfd1f43181ce6ea7e275832.jpg

What a huge collection of CCs! I agree that adding cedar is totally unnecessary as long as storing cigars in boxes ?! This actually saves huge amount of money from buying Boveda seasoning packs and Cedar stuffs ☺️!

Just now, Wookie said:

I Only buy CCs in boxes, but I have tons on NCs stored as singles and it IS a PITA.  But in never thought to add cedar to them. Maybe I Should? 

If you have empty cigar boxes just put them into these boxes. It will do the same trick as adding cedar ?.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

just wanted to 2nd, 3rd and 4th the experience with John Nelson.  He was a huge help to me, though I understand that's perhaps best for folks in the U.S.  He's a person who tries his best to find solutions (not just highlight problems, though he does that too, before offering suggestions to fix).  I know this is an old thread, but I am remiss in not recognizing John's thoughtful help to me in the past on FOH for the benefit of those in the Americas.  He is a very thoughtful person, and excellent craftsman.  

• Thanks 1