Cigar Identification Labels

I’ve noticed a lot of the pictures show many of you marking your sticks with an identification label at the foot of the cigar with box, year, etc written on the label.  As a newbie, I’ve been buying numerous quantities (3 sticks each) of various marcas/vitolas and I would like to borrow this concept for identifying the cigar without having to go back and refer to invoices. Obviously it’s easy for those still in the box but for my exploratory purchases I’m buying singles. 

Long story short, what label are you guys using to mark it?  I found that Avery makes wrap around labels but I’m a little concerned with the adhesive making contact with the wrapper.

What’s my best bet for identifying cigars? 

Thanks in advance.  

I use some from Heartfelt Indusries, the same people who make the beads. They work fine, with the caveat that the adhesive isn’t that great. A very small piece of scotch tape fixes this and the upside is I never worry about the adhesive ever damaging my cigars if it happens to come in contact with the wrapper.
http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=Blank+Cigar+Bands

• Thanks 1

https://www.amazon.com/Blank-Cigar-Bands-400-Pack/dp/B00MYFG3PU/ref=sr_1_4?crid=WRABSLSVYMSB&keywords=cigar+labels&qid=1558909820&s=gateway&sprefix=Cigar+label%2Caps%2C216&sr=8-4

A lot of guys use these. Downside is that you will want to make your notes on the unlined/white side. I make notes on the end of the label where the sections can be removed to expose the adhesive. This allows the label to overlap on itself without any adhesive coming in contact with the cigar. 

This pic kind of shows how it overlaps. 

970E52B4-EC72-4E88-A9E5-E983ACE10597.thumb.jpeg.4d8918f223be883bfa5389945f66f304.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Markspring1978 said:

https://www.amazon.com/Blank-Cigar-Bands-400-Pack/dp/B00MYFG3PU/ref=sr_1_4?crid=WRABSLSVYMSB&keywords=cigar+labels&qid=1558909820&s=gateway&sprefix=Cigar+label%2Caps%2C216&sr=8-4

A lot of guys use these. Downside is that you will want to make your notes on the unlined/white side. I make notes on the end of the label where the sections can be removed to expose the adhesive. This allows the label to overlap on itself without any adhesive coming in contact with the cigar. 

This pic kind of shows how it overlaps. 

970E52B4-EC72-4E88-A9E5-E983ACE10597.thumb.jpeg.4d8918f223be883bfa5389945f66f304.jpeg

What Mark said. 100 times better if you use the white side and not the tan side. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Hookmaker said:

On a second note I’ve seen quite a lot of picks where people have put a year label on - black/gold , quite similar to the EL band. Where do those come from ?

I've only ever seen those on aged stock from european LCDH's.

I use a DYMO labelmaker for mine. Works great and other people don't have to deal with trying to read my handwriting if I give them a stick, lol

20 minutes ago, BigJohn said:

I've only ever seen those on aged stock from european LCDH's.

I use a DYMO labelmaker for mine. Works great and other people don't have to deal with trying to read my handwriting if I give them a stick, lol

Do you put a label on a piece of paper that is on the cigar.  I have horrible hand writting so I want other people to be able to read it also LOL.   Its funny if I take my time and write really well when I come back I am will be confused if I wrote it or not.?

25 minutes ago, BigJohn said:

No, the labels have covered adhesive backing, I just peel off a small part and use that to stick to itself.

Thanks for replying which Dymo label maker are you using?   I was looking at the newer Letratag compatible ones and see people complaining about the labels sticking to plastic.   I will be using it for cigars mainly but I will also use it for other thing.   I noticed the Letratag labels offer paper label cartridges also.

I have this one:

http://www.dymo.com/en-US/labelmanager-pnp-label-maker

I've never had any problems with it and I use some generic label tape I got off of Amazon, but it looks like a lot of people are having problems with its internal battery, so I don't think I'd recommend it at this point.

28 minutes ago, BigJohn said:

I have this one:

http://www.dymo.com/en-US/labelmanager-pnp-label-maker

I've never had any problems with it and I use some generic label tape I got off of Amazon, but it looks like a lot of people are having problems with its internal battery, so I don't think I'd recommend it at this point.

Thanks for the info I was looking at another handheld that takes the same D1 labels.

9 hours ago, Baccy said:

I have some Kenco labels and they're ok, but I prefer these. A friend sent me a bunch of these and I tried to get more of them but apparently they're no longer in production.

20190528_003650_resized.jpg

I also prefer using those bands vs the Kenco ones. I loaded up on them before they ran out fortunately. 

I also little a clean look, so I actually put a P-Touch label on them with the box code info on it. 

2111440416_2019-03-2110_29_06.thumb.jpg.a91241f598a91d37312eb1c081dd35a6.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Not really found a good place to buy these type of labels in the UK so I cut some blank paper to size and used a bit of painter masking tape to stick them down. Works quite well. I put them at the foot of the cigar with some info on them (Box Code, Box Date, My Humidor Date) so the info is there when you are ready to smoke and the foot gets a bit of protection.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, xtcat9k said:

I also prefer using those bands vs the Kenco ones. I loaded up on them before they ran out fortunately. 

I also little a clean look, so I actually put a P-Touch label on them with the box code info on it. 

2111440416_2019-03-2110_29_06.thumb.jpg.a91241f598a91d37312eb1c081dd35a6.jpg

Great idea! I have a label printer at work too, so I need to borrow it and print out some box codes?