Beverly Hills Votes to Ban Tobacco Sales

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-beverly-hills-tobacco-ban-except-cigars-schwarzenegger-20190521-story.html

Thoughts?

It's great that they made an exemption for three of the lounges in the city, but I fear what this means moving forward for other major cities and folks in the industry in general. Talk about stealing food off the table for many... :angry:

Hope they don't also pass plain packaging laws for the cigars that are being sold in the lounges. How ridiculous would that be :coffee:

A ban on sales is ridiculous. I thought we learned something from prohibition and resulting black markets/crime. I forsee more public smoking bans than bans on sales. It just doesn't make sense to force closure of honest pipe&tobacco business, all because some minimum wage 7-11 attendants are selling swisher fruity flavors to kids.

Saw this yesterday and shook my head.  Soda, hot dogs, plastic straws, tobacco.  

I’d like to think as adults we could make these decisions for ourselves...

Where does it stop?  California is a beautiful state but the authorities have lost their minds! 

46 minutes ago, Thirds said:

Where does it stop?  California is a beautiful state but the authorities have lost their minds! 

I don’t see any issue with banning plastic straws. 

Tobacco only really impacts the user. 

Plastic waste generated today will likely still impact out children’s grandchildren. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Andy04 said:

Plastic waste generated today will likely still impact out children’s grandchildren. 

Ban plastic straws but not plastic cups and bottles??

1 minute ago, wineguy said:

Ban plastic straws but not plastic cups and bottles??

That is a very valid point considering there are ample responsible, recyclable and cost effective alternatives to plastic. 

52 minutes ago, Andy04 said:

It’s not that I’m against eliminating plastic straws (never use them when offered) but I find the fact that they’ve targeted straws to be ignorant.  Plastic packaging, cups, tubs, trash bags, water bottles....

My wife has converted our household to almost all glassware and has even moved to wooden toothbrushes.  

The concept I agree with but the approach is pissing in the wind.  

As a longtime LA resident, I'll tell you, there are few places in the US I'd live other than here. It's the best.

The thing I find most curious about this law is the exemption for the 3 lounges -- but no exemption for the business type. Which functionally means that the existing lounges (which include the Grand Havana Room West, a pricey dump) actually made out better than if there had been no new law at all! No new competition will be coming their way -- ever.

So don't cry too hard over this, unless you're someone who was considering opening a nice swanky cigar lounge in BH -- you're shit out of luck. I hear the Mayor is a cigar smoker... could be some "home cookin" going on here.

2 hours ago, nsills said:

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-beverly-hills-tobacco-ban-except-cigars-schwarzenegger-20190521-story.html

Thoughts?

It's great that they made an exemption for three of the lounges in the city, but I fear what this means moving forward for other major cities and folks in the industry in general. Talk about stealing food off the table for many... :angry:

Hope they don't also pass plain packaging laws for the cigars that are being sold in the lounges. How ridiculous would that be :coffee:

I smoked a Sig IV last night in one of the lounges.  I mean, this is getting absurd. It reminds me of "dry counties" in the south and midwest growing up.  I have a lot of thoughts, but I will save those tirades for the people unfortunate enough to in my proximity. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, FatherOfPugs said:

The dry counties still exist.....when I moved to Texas, it was a shocker coming from very wet Wisconsin! Texas still has 7 completely dry counties. 

Ahhh yes, Wisconsin where  as a child I would play arcades in a bar. It was ok as long as an adult brought you. I was always stoked to be handed a fist of quarters for the pinball.  Of course my grandpa and family had a different view of things like alcohol or whatever. As far as he was concerned, "if you were old enough to die for the country, you  were old enough to drink a damn beer in it. 

Edited by HopeUgood
me spell grammar bad
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fact is, many if not most, don’t. Greed overpowers common sense and any form of self control. History is littered with examples.

The environment is beyond repair, and only drastic steps can prevent extinctions and major catastrophes. These and many more measures become increasingly necessary as we push far past the common sense barriers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Andy04 said:

That is a very valid point considering there are ample responsible, recyclable and cost effective alternatives to plastic. 

“But maybe the whole reason the earth sprouted humans is because it wanted plastic.”

-George Carlin

One of his best rants of all time...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rld0KDcan_w

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Soon, it will be impossible to rent a home and smoke in it.  Condo buildings will vote to ban smoking since smokers are in the minority.  I don't see a good long term prospect for cigars in the US.

15 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

All this while recreational marijuana, the vast majority of which is smoked, and inhaled, is expanding rapidly throughout the country. I've got no problem with this, but the two fly in the face of one another. There is absolutely no logical explanation. People are astoundingly stupid. 

It's not smoking if you don't inhale.... :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Philc2001 said:

Fact is, many if not most, don’t. Greed overpowers common sense and any form of self control. History is littered with examples.

Greed, gluttony and sloth...the culture is sinking while diabetes and healthcare costs are rising. This culture of consumption and waste is not our best look.  

2 hours ago, SigmundChurchill said:

“But maybe the whole reason the earth sprouted humans is because it wanted plastic.”

-George Carlin

One of his best rants of all time...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rld0KDcan_w

And we won't leave a trace... Maybe a little styrofoam. Maybe! ????

He was the best! So honest and raw. He nailed it... It's arrogant to think we can save the planet. The only reason we want to "save" the planet is to benefit from some perceived homeostasis we think we can fabricate by banning plastic bags. When the universe is done with us... You'll feel a nice warm light and then a solar flare will send us and the plastic bags into the atmosphere. 

Thanks for the laugh Elliot. Carlin is timeless.

• Haha 1

Be from the state's, California politicians think a little different.  There was talk at one point of them seceding from the us, then there was talk of them splitting California into 3 separate states. And they put cancer warning stickers on everything, even heard on coffee. It seems everything I order on Amazon apparently cause cancer in California. 

38 minutes ago, ElJavi76 said:

He was the best! So honest and raw. He nailed it... It's arrogant to think we can save the planet. 

Maybe he is correct. 

But I would hope that the current generations strive to leave a more hospitable planet for future generations. 

1 hour ago, ElJavi76 said:

He was the best! So honest and raw. He nailed it... It's arrogant to think we can save the planet. The only reason we want to "save" the planet is to benefit from some perceived homeostasis we think we can fabricate by banning plastic bags. When the universe is done with us... You'll feel a nice warm light and then a solar flare will send us and the plastic bags into the atmosphere. 

Thanks for the laugh Elliot. Carlin is timeless.

“We are a surface nuisance.”  

“Ask the guy in Pompeii who has been stuck in the same position for the last 2000 years, if he feels like “a threat”?”

Carlin was the best.  

• Haha 1

On 5/22/2019 at 11:50 PM, Corylax18 said:

All this while recreational marijuana, the vast majority of which is smoked, and inhaled, is expanding rapidly throughout the country. I've got no problem with this, but the two fly in the face of one another. There is absolutely no logical explanation. People are astoundingly stupid. 

But George toked weed, man!