R&J Flavor Profile

Hey guys - I fired up a R&J Churchill tonight, I don’t smoke R&J often, and it struck me what an unmistakable flavor profile it had. I am a relative newbie and was wondering if anyone with more experience could tell me.....has this flavor profile always been in place? I know this is a cigar that has been around for a long time and would love some context. 

Thanks!

24 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Generally, one should be getting cherry-like fruit flavors in RyJ. To me, that's the common characteristic of the marca.

That being said, I tend to find just about every flavor imaginable throughout the marca. There are a ton of models. For example, Cazadores are going to have more of a clean tobacco core. Belicosos are very leathery to me--in fact, I've mistaken one for a BBF blind before. Coronitas en Cedros and Cedros De Luxe have a very woody profile. Churchills can be quite creamy. 

I would say without a doubt RyJ has the most profile variation within a brand, however the cherry-like fruit flavors are almost always in there somewhere.

Well said...agreed 

I often find that R&J has an unusual middle-eastern savoury/sweet thing going on.    In combination with those sweet Turkish Delight, rosewater berry aspects, there is a toasted cumin seed, body odour thing there, which is a slightly funky rotten side, which completes and rounds out the blend.

The best way I find to distillate the R&J profile is a walk through a middle eastern spice market. You get the smell of sweat and savoury spices, preserved fruits, insence, body odour, etc etc. 

medium_istanbul_spice_market_interior2.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks to everyone for the responses, should have been more specific that it was the cherry flavors that I as getting at. I have not smoked alot of R&J for whatever reason and have always had that cherry thing in there, but again my experience is fairly limited. 

Cazzies are a very rustic and rough around the edges cigar. No complexity for me. A hard pass.  Ex no.4 is very nice. Working on a 16 box of petit coronas now. Hints of cherry....yes.

14 hours ago, 99call said:

I often find that R&J has an unusual middle-eastern savoury/sweet thing going on.    In combination with those sweet Turkish Delight, rosewater berry aspects, there is a toasted cumin seed, body odour thing there, which is a slightly funky rotten side, which completes and rounds out the blend.

The best way I find to distillate the R&J profile is a walk through a middle eastern spice market. You get the smell of sweat and savoury spices, preserved fruits, insence, body odour, etc etc. 

medium_istanbul_spice_market_interior2.jpg

I respectfully disagree.  I get none of this.  It's cherry and cream throughout.  

4 hours ago, JLinz said:

It's

The only thing it 'is' is R&J,  it's all of our palates that are different.    All opinions are equally valid, both right and wrong in equal measure.   I'm glad you enjoy what you get from them.