Sometimes the ordinary wrappered cigars surprise you!

I'll take those light Colorado wrappers on a Montecarlos and Party Shorts, even if they are a little veiny and rough.  I'm smoking through an EMA JUN 15 box of Montecarlos with light wrappers and every one has been impressive. Same with a '14 Shorts cab.  I really like the mello creaminess vs the sharper spiciness of the darker oily wrappers for these two cigars in particular.  I haven't smoked enough aged (5+ years) examples yet to give an opinion.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2019 at 12:41 AM, JohnS said:

did mention that computer monitors can affect the shades of wrappers,

Yep, camera's white balance and colour-chart settings as well as contrast, flash/non-flash use are doing their part as well, as we all notice at times. Even in life, it's sometimes hard to judge depending on lighting.

• Like 1

One on the left looks better to me - the color looks uniform.  I've had more problems with mottled wrapper and burn issues than any given color as long as it's uniform and relatively leaf stem free.

• Like 1

My preference is to always lean towards darker wrappers.  I get more excited about them.

I've got a box of jl selection 2s that are just powerhouses of flavor and most of the wrappers look pretty bog average to meh.  

I don't think this is the case at all, but the darker wrappers seen like they tend to have more oil in them compared to the lighter wrappers.  Ultimately a lifeless looking but oily wrapper can still cover a good cigar.

• Like 1

I used to think dark and oily wrappers were the pinnacle of Cuban cigars. A box of Upman #2 from way back educated me about the dark wrapper mythology. Those light wrapper cigars were the bomb. Strong intense toasted tobacco with a nicotine kick that wouldn't quit. It took years for them to settle down and the wait was worth it. I think someone who sells a lot of cigars here talks up thin wrappers with sheen rather than the old dark and oily thing. 

• Like 1