Yee-Haw, Mate!

Wow I am so sorry....but I am not surprised at all.

The Australian accent, however, is extremely distinctive compared to English. Hell, even different English accents are distinguishable. Perhaps it's because I've been around all of these different accents, but the common denominator is that there are a lot of dumb people out there. I say Americans in general, but that is just because we seem to be the most obnoxious ones. When I go on vacation and don't see or hear (HEAR, this is the important one), it makes me very happy. It is what it is

• Like 1

I read it as a compliment: more of a personality and pride thing than an accent thing. Texans are brash tamers of a harsh landscape. A Texan will usually spend a lot more time crowing about San Jacinto than lamenting the Southerner's Lost Cause. I always liked that--forget the losses and celebrate the wins. To me Texans are distilled Americans, and I say that as someone who's never had any association with the Great State of Texas other than having passed through there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

When you think about it, that is quite complimentary. Like we've mentioned before on FoH, the Australian accent is difficult to pin down and mimic, most Texans had me as English on my visit last month.

Your giving them WAY too much credit. They were just too stupid to know there was a difference, trust me. Australian and English accents are pretty noticeably different. There are only two accents in Texas. Texan and Foreigner. 

I don't think the sign is a play on accents. There are just as many, if not more, distinct English accents than there are "American" accents in the States.

I think it was a play on who the citizens of Texas view themselves to be. Accuracy of said fantasy aside, the outlaw/outsider/cowboy shtick is a way of life down there. Add to that the constant succession talk(fingers crossed, way better alternative than the wall) and the comparison does make some sense. I certainly wouldn't take it as a compliment though.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

When you think about it, that is quite complimentary. Like we've mentioned before on FoH, the Australian accent is difficult to pin down and mimic, most Texans had me as English on my visit last month.

But Fuzz can do all the versions if you ask him to. Even I could detect the differences then!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, JohnS said:

I use the ‘fish and chips’ trick, as taught to me by a Kiwi. 

Honestly... I don’t think discerning Oz vs Kiwi vs Brit vs Irish accents is so hard. Welsh vs Scottish vs English or Donegal vs Galway vs Mayo vs Cork vs Waterford - those are a lot tougher. Ok. Maybe not Cork. Pretty hard to miss a Corker. ?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bpm32 said:

But Fuzz can do all the versions if you ask him to. Even I could detect the differences then!

Considering I was born in Australia, it would be pretty weird if I didn't have an Aussie accent! :lol3:

39 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

Considering I was born in Australia, it would be pretty weird if I didn't have an Aussie accent! :lol3:

What’s the old joke about how the French are smarter than us Americans?: even their five year olds know how to speak French?

1 hour ago, ayepatz said:

You’re all British. Get over it. ?

[Heroically dives for cover behind sofa]

I like Jeremey Clarkson's system of determining British vs Scottish vs Welsh.

F1 driver David Coulthard loses race? Scottish.

F1 driver David Coulthard wins race? British.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, cfc1016 said:

I like Jeremey Clarkson's system of determining British vs Scottish vs Welsh.

F1 driver David Coulthard loses race? Scottish.

F1 driver David Coulthard wins race? British.

We have the same determining factor here.

Russell Crowe wins Academy Award - Australian

Russell Crowe throws phone at hotel clerk - New Zealander

:lol:

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

We have the same determining factor here.

Russell Crowe wins Academy Award - Australian

Russell Crowe throws phone at hotel clerk - New Zealander

:lol:

Hugh Grant wins oscar - English

Hugh Grant arrested with prostitute - British. 

It works just as well for exclusion as inclusion ?