why don't you die!

town in west aussie, people walking along the street, start to hear a toddler crying and screaming with noise coming out of a house and things being bashed. a bloke yelling 'why don't you die'!

needless to say, cops called.

Australian man screaming 'why don't you die?' triggers full police response

Multiple officers arrive at home to find Perth man with ‘serious fear’ of arachnids ‘trying to kill a spider’

Wed 2 Jan 2019

A Perth man apologised when a team of police officers showed up at his house. A passerby called police when they heard a toddler screaming and a man repeatedly shouting ‘Why don’t you die?’ He was apparently just trying to kill a spider.

A Perth man apologised when a team of police officers showed up at his house. A passerby called police when they heard a toddler screaming and a man repeatedly shouting ‘Why don’t you die?’ The man was apparently just trying to kill a spider. Photograph: Tim Pinney/Alamy Stock Photo

Police in Western Australia have confirmed they sent multiple officers to an emergency call that turned out to be a screaming man with a “serious fear” of spiders.

A concerned passerby was walking outside a house in suburban Perth when they heard a toddler screaming and a man repeatedly shouting “Why don’t you die?”

After they called triple zero, officers arrived to find a man “trying to kill a spider”, who apologised for having an extreme fear of the arachnid.

The Wanneroo police Twitter account posted a screenshot of the police log of the incident on Wednesday morning.

“Caller walked past the AA and heard a male screaming out ‘Why don’t you die’ – repeatedly,” the log read. “The toddler inside was screaming … caller doesn’t know them, but has seen them a few times when walking”.

Twenty minutes later, officers on the scene provided an update.

“Police spoke with all parties who advised that husband had only been trying to kill a spider (has serious fear of spiders). Apologised for inconvenience to police.

“No injuries sighted (except to spider). No further police involvement required”.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The only part I don’t understand is why our main character would see a need to apologize for being afraid of spiders...in Australia.

2 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

what is sad is that those huntsman spiders are virtually harmless and great at keeping the bug/insect population down. plus small snakes need to feed on things. 

My parents recently returned from a golf getaway to South Africa.  Their villa outside Cape Town had a thatched roof, which is apparently common, being Africa and all.  Well they returned for the evening and one of these guys was on the bed.  Maintenance was duly notified.  Of course the explanation was not to worry, as you said Ken completely harmless.  Whats more it was explained that there were most likely dozens of his buddies still up there too! Definitely a culture shock for a US midwesterner!

On 1/2/2019 at 2:25 PM, Ken Gargett said:

Wanneroo

For a second I thought this was the would-be University mentioned in the Monty Python Bruces sketch.  But after looking it up, I realize that was the University of Woolloomooloo.

I appreciate this forum for enhancing my knowledge of Australian geography.