Mottled wrappers

I have noticed lately that some of the better smokes I’ve had were wrapped in a mottled leaf. I’m not sure what this indicates in the leafs properties or if it’s just a placebo on my mind. Anyone else find this? 

It just seems that for me, the taste is so good compared to a straight colored wrapper.

Hmmm I think mottled wrappers are simply wrappers with a good degree of despersed oil content. They are good smoking.........but so are smooth uniform thin claro wrappers with milk chocolate sheen. And so are slightly thicker rosado wrappers. 

Ultimately, I think we are better served avoiding certain wrappers.. thin grey green wrappers seen on montes, Sanchos. Or thick asbestos wrappers seen on LEs and some rough R&J. 

I love mottled wrappers. I too think the look is caused by local variations in oil content, but I've seen 50 and 60 year old cigars with very mottled wrappers, so the oil never seems to "even out" or spread out through the rest of the leaf or into the binders. 

17 minutes ago, Corylax18 said:

I love mottled wrappers. I too think the look is caused by local variations in oil content, but I've seen 50 and 60 year old cigars with very mottled wrappers, so the oil never seems to "even out" or spread out through the rest of the leaf or into the binders. 

Yep would agree with this, love the look of these 'Dunhill Ramon Allones Seleccion Suprema 898' from the 1970s

Screen Shot 2018-12-30 at 17.07.25.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corylax18 said:

If you guys had ever pulled one apart, you will find that the mottling appears to be from the binder below. It is a bleeding of, or a mating if you will, of wrapper to binder. I have often wondered if this was a form of bruising of the wrapper! This is of course just my opinion, as it appeared to me that there was definite alignment with the contours of the rougher binder below to match the shade variations.

More hearsay from the internet... Carry on! -Piggy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Fresh rolled Taboadas were very “mottled”. Over time they darkened up pretty much uniformly. I’ve always assumed that the oils spread out throughout the wrapper. Best cigars I’ve ever owned, bar none.

If you guys had ever pulled one apart, you will find that the mottling appears to be from the binder below. It is a bleeding of, or a mating if you will, of wrapper to binder. I have often wondered if this was a form of bruising of the wrapper! This is of course just my opinion, as it appeared to me that there was definite alignment with the contours of the rougher binder below to match the shade variations.

More hearsay from the internet... Carry on! -Piggy

More heresy from t'internet you say?

When you guys say mottled you don't mean spotty I guess. Oddest wrapper I ever had was quite spotty.

6160cd9b28dd54e52ebe702193db9e08.jpg