High tech humidors...

https://www.mansionglobal.com/articles/94890-get-yourself-a-high-tech-humidor

I like nice toys as much as the next man, and who doesn't love their Cuban cigars. Storage is of importance but some of the humidors in this article are nuts. 

Who doesn't want the world's most expensive humidor? Just a cool million dollars.

http://www.imperiali-geneve.com/?mod=article_inline

To me it's become more about what's in my tupperdors than the fact that they're being stored in a plastic bin. How about you guys? Some of your shudder at the thought of having them anywhere but a gorgeous piece of furniture. 

If you had to choose between buying a bunch of stock and storing in tupperdors/coolidors, OR a high end humidor (i.e. Elie Bleu, Aristocrat, or the million dollar option above) but not have the money of your initial investment in the humidor towards cigars. What would you choose?

This isn't about the right way or wrong way to store. Just chatter about your preference.

Cheers

I picked a 1910-20 radio cabinet years ago at curbside.  Nice cabinet work.  removed 10 layers of paint and refinished it 20 years ago.  3 or so years ago I  converted it into a humidor, made it airtight with a new back, added spanish cedar on the interior surface and voila.....250 bucks in materials and it runs steady.  PLUS has a nice look too.  Here's some pics. wish I had a better shot of the exterior for ya'all.   

20170901_172143.jpg

20170724_193307.jpg

20170724_193342.jpg

20170724_193252.jpg

• Like 3

Aristocrat cabinet holds about 50 boxes, more if youre really good at tetris...
The rest is a tuppedor with RH beads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I’d spend the money on cigars, and store them cheaply, hands down, over spending the money on ‘accoutrements’. 

That said, i deal with a lot of snap temperature fluctuations where i live. Also, having a 1,500-2,000lb 150 gallon aquarium, I’m relegated to renting basement apartments (With only a 12 sq ft footprint distributing that weight, I’m not inclined to trust my floor joists). Cue even higher temp swings. With more stable indoor temps, I’d be using tuppers or coolers without question  

I shelled out ~$200 for a 28 bottle wine cooler and threw a bunch of bovedas in it. I didn’t shell out for cedar shelves or any of that mumbo jumbo. The stock shelves do a plenty good job of holding cigar boxes. 

When i need more space (for all those cigars I’m buying *instead of* a ‘high end’ box) I’ll shell out another ~$200 for another wine cooler. 

EACD61BA-F7B6-4D6A-A2DA-D4411359BD00.jpeg

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Dmpotocek said:

When I ran out of space in the wineador, I began using a large cooler as temporary storage while I researched another option. I realized though that the cooler more than suited my needs and I abandoned my search. I’m now getting started on my second cooler and will probably continue to use them.

I'm on the same boat. I thought I wanted a really nice humidor... Did a bunch of research. I currently have one whytner (currently broken as the thermostat seems to have bitten the dust. When I plug in, all kinds of condensation) and three tupperdors. The last one I bought is of the 61 QT variety. Future tupperdors will be similar to this one. Under $40 bux I can store 20 boxes+ of CC'S. I'll gladly spend the rest of it on filling the tupperdors. That's not to say some of these pieces of furniture look absolutely stunning. Great pics above! 

+1 for Tuppy

I have two 46 quart Tupperdors outfitted with 65rH Bovedas. I have moderately priced industrial str8 cutters and torch lighters. My money goes into my cigars, period! I did splurge on a PerfecDraw (totally worth it)

• Like 2

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NTQYUA8?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_yo_pop_mb_pd_t2

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B7PK1TC?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_yo_pop_mb_pd_t2

Pro tip for my fellow whynter owners. I had a split second power flicker during a storm recently. Thermostat reset (from my usual setting at 65) to 52. Had a don alejandro wrapper crack in multiple spots from the snap temperature shock. 

For ~$24 I bought a low-power-draw UPS battery backup and 3-2 prong plug adapters. No more thermostat resets on the whynter.  

• Like 1

I'm on the same boat. I thought I wanted a really nice humidor... Did a bunch of research. I currently have one whytner (currently broken as the thermostat seems to have bitten the dust. When I plug in, all kinds of condensation) and three tupperdors. The last one I bought is of the 61 QT variety. Future tupperdors will be similar to this one. Under $40 bux I can store 20 boxes+ of CC'S. I'll gladly spend the rest of it on filling the tupperdors. That's not to say some of these pieces of furniture look absolutely stunning. Great pics above! 

I’m with you on that. I appreciate the aesthetics of a large, impressive humidor and one day would like to have one but it’s tough to justify the cost especially when you realize how many boxes you can buy with the same $$. Maybe one day I’ll finally have enough cigars tucked away and will be able justify the purchase.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dmpotocek said:

I initially bought a whynter setup that was half wine storage, half cigars. My wife got the wine side and I got the cigar side. Worked great until I outgrew my side and ultimately took over her side. 749e568975ac0f0b690a3fed86fa0d1e.jpg
When I ran out of space in the wineador, I began using a large cooler as temporary storage while I researched another option. I realized though that the cooler more than suited my needs and I abandoned my search. I’m now getting started on my second cooler and will probably continue to use them.

Well that might be the first time in history that a woman gave up storage space to a man. I haven’t seen closet or shelf space I can use in years!

• Haha 4

I called whynter this afternoon and they sent me a troubleshooting guide for my wineador. They were actually really helpful and said they'd help me to get it working again, even though I explained the unit was a gift and I received it about 3 years ago or longer. 

I'm gonna give it an earnest try and see if I can't bring this bad boy back to life.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, shaffer22 said:

Being in Texas I decided to go with temperature control. I know I could’ve gone the Wineador route. But this is a lifetime passion for me. It seemed worth the investment to go with something beautiful that will also last a lifetime. Let’s face it, I use my humidor every day. It’s a part of the home and brings me great joy. 

I have no regrets going with the Aristocrat. 

PS: It’s amazing how much the collection has grown since those photos! I need a recent shot. 

4EFFCA0A-D638-4930-A72D-1FE48901EFFC.jpeg

95584842-0F6C-41AD-8673-472EEE0AB98D.jpeg

Update please! Is that a MXT Tall?

14 hours ago, BuzzArd said:

Agreed.  I am on the hunt for another cabinet to repurpose already. 

IMG_3513.JPG

IMG_5795.JPG

IMG_5747.JPG

IMG_9491.thumb.JPG.54a42dd653cc3e96a2bcb965d3289ce7.JPG

Now that is gorgeous to me, just oozing with character. Well done!

• Thanks 1

Aristocrat cabinet holds about 50 boxes, more if youre really good at tetris...
The rest is a tuppedor with RH beads.

0b00e9753c7fb25e68abfc9d377bd004.jpg

• Like 3

Have any of you retrofitted a repurposed piece of furniture with climate control? I know I can get some fans inside the piece I'm looking into but, but are there any thermoelectric solutions to put in a cedar cabinet? 

Figured this is as good a place as any to ask.

So I went ahead and bought it. Outside def needs love. I'm gonna strip this old finish on it. Might need a little sanding here and there. I wasn't sure if it was cedar all the way thru but I think it is. Got a functional drawer at bottom. It's a shame to refinish it and then throw it in my basement, but the house gets warm in the summer. Only way I can find a place for it is if I retrofit a thermoelectric cooling system. 

Have a look boys!

Talk to me about cooling options.

20180427_191042.jpg

20180427_190602.jpg

20180427_195548.jpg

20180427_195621.jpg

• Like 4