H.Upmann Connossieur A or Romeo y Julieta Short Churchills

Get some singles of both and see which one you prefer. I enjoy short Churchill’s but I would take care when picking a box as quality has not been the best over recent years (although they have made a few appearances on 24:24 recently so it may be on the up).

The Connie A is excellent and deserves its higher price point, but it is quite a bit more when compared to the RyJ

You certainly can't generalize here. I had spectacular Short Churchills, too. These are very different cigars to me - in profile, format (doesn't seem much, but the Genios being a good bit larger than the Robo) and presentation. If you don't know either of them, I would suggest starting off with singles to see what you prefer. If you can't do that and need/want to invest in a box, the ConA is the safer bet in terms of consistency of quality. The RyJ can be more variable and is better not be bought blindly. Though the money commitment is also less there.

Hey everyone, i have a buddy of mine that is in Cuba right now and he tells me that both boxes are available. The price is maybe 30 CUC different so it's not an issue. I am just afraid of getting a crappy RyJ Short Churchills since they don't seem to be that consistent. As for the Connie A, i have bought a single stick recently but i cannot smoke it while being on antibiotic. 

My friend is leaving tomorrow and will go buy a box tonight. I just wish that RyJ would be more consistent and that the box would taste like cherries.

Smokes that i like are Monte#2, Bolivar Belicoso Finos, Trinidad Reyes, PSD4, PSE2, SigloVI, Mag46.

6 minutes ago, agentdaffy007 said:

Hey everyone, i have a buddy of mine that is in Cuba right now and he tells me that both boxes are available. The price is maybe 30 CUC different so it's not an issue. I am just afraid of getting a crappy RyJ Short Churchills since they don't seem to be that consistent. As for the Connie A, i have bought a single stick recently but i cannot smoke it while being on antibiotic. 

My friend is leaving tomorrow and will go buy a box tonight. I just wish that RyJ would be more consistent and that the box would taste like cherries.

Smokes that i like are Monte#2, Bolivar Belicoso Finos, Trinidad Reyes, PSD4, PSE2, SigloVI, Mag46.

If buying direct from Cuba, I’d definitely go with the Connie A’s

Price difference is a non issue and as previously stated, the Connie A has been very consistent 

GotaCohiba: Oh lala, i have heard great things about the Winnies. I smoked a Cohiba Espy 2009 last year and it was the top3 smoke i have ever smoked. Since i am not there to buy it and can only trust my friend's limited experience, i don't want to commit too much money in case it sucks, lol.

But Winnies is totally on my radar for the next purchase. Love the size and ring gauge. 

As noted, completely different cigars. I do love me a Con-A but I've also been very impressed with some of the RyJ Churchills lately (especially the Wide Churchill).

If you can only have one, take the Connie A's. You'll have the chance to try the RyJs later.

2 hours ago, GotaCohiba said:

If buying direct from Cuba, I’d definitely go with the Connie A’s

Price difference is a non issue and as previously stated, the Connie A has been very consistent 

This

4 minutes ago, agentdaffy007 said:

Just spoke to my friend and it’s SOM ABR 16 for the Connie A. I hope 2016 is a good year. :/

Good call. Do it. I have a box of SOM JUN 16 and they’re great. Pretty consistent cigar and a good 2016 box code overall, from what I’ve read. 

79DC57A9-64F7-4E60-B2E7-6944E244ECF0.jpeg

Connie A without a doubt. Short Churchill’s even at their best (and I smoked quite a lot of them 2007-2008 when they were great) wouldn’t sway me over the Connie A for the price diff. You have made the right choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So in Cuba, the price difference is 25 dollars.  But outside of Cuba, that variance jumps to around 150.  It is the same here and every website.  Same for the Winnies and royal Robusto.  What is the reason for such a variance?   Can't just be simply supply/demand.  The Conny A is an amazing cigar, but it is not one of Cuba's most famous cigar.  So confused on that.  Does every website just think Cuba is very wrong pricing those cigars?

Just read through this thread, all fine advice. After reading the name “Connie A”, or some variation of it 24 times, I’m pretty sure I’m going with a Connie A tonight. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you were willing to stretch the budget and they are still available I’d have him grab a box of HU Sir Winston’s 

I'll second that... HU Sir Winston's are remarkable cigars, but the Connie A's are really really good as well. But, why not buy both or all three as RyJ is kinda hit or miss alot of the times. If you get some good Short Churchills and can see the color and shape of the wrappers before hand then that may be worth it to buy those as well. But, in order:

Sir Winston's>Connie A's>RyJ *EDIT* anything that's not not EL. But that's just imo.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk