H.Upmann Connossieur A or Romeo y Julieta Short Churchills

14 hours ago, agentdaffy007 said:

I am just afraid of getting a crappy RyJ Short Churchills since they don't seem to be that consistent.

Pick up a 10 box of the SCs. Much less of a commitment. The Connie A is a bigger outlay (although as I pointed out above it's actually a cheaper cigar by weight) but it's highly unlikely you'll get a dud box. They are remarkably consistent. No need to worry about that. I'd feel comfortable buying them blind which is something I can't say about the RyJ SCs.

• 1 month later...
On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 12:17 AM, agentdaffy007 said:

I usually quarantine the cigars for 2 months before they go in my humidor/coolerdor.

Freeze ‘em. A beetle outbreak can come along after the two month quarantine. I believe I’m correct on this. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stogieluver said:

Freeze ‘em. A beetle outbreak come come along after the two month quarantine. I believe I’m correct on this. 

Correct.

Either freeze - or quarantine for half a year at >25°C and you are either safe.... or sorry.... :jester:

Good luck with the Connie A! Why not try and trade a few for some RyJ and then see what you prefer. 

I think the profile on the cigars are different enough that it’s certainly a matter of personal taste. 

Well I suppose most things cigars are personal taste. Experiment, it’s the only way to pin down your preferences. 

I had a box or RyJ SC some time ago, it was beautiful, cherry notes and nice smoke altogether. Then I bought another box and it was a lackluster.

I got two boxes of HU Connie A since then and it's been a different smoke, far superior to my last box of RyJ! Though I like it, I miss the box of RyJ SC I had with cherry notes. Hope RyJ WC(nice abbreviation hah?) in my possession will substitute the flavorful box of RyJ SC I had previously. 

Starting off a post with that statement is probably not the best course. Mods have to keep a level of decorum. El Pres provides this awesome place for Habanos lovers to come here and gain knowledge, hangout with others from around the world, and have a good time. It's his playground and we play by his rules. You can have opinions on things, in general though, starting off statements by talking down to people telling them they are confused is not a great way to garner information or have others wanting or willing to help you out should you ask for it.

I give it 24-48 hours and he will be gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 4:03 PM, Monterey said:

So in Cuba, the price difference is 25 dollars.  But outside of Cuba, that variance jumps to around 150.  It is the same here and every website.  Same for the Winnies and royal Robusto.  What is the reason for such a variance?   Can't just be simply supply/demand.  The Conny A is an amazing cigar, but it is not one of Cuba's most famous cigar.  So confused on that.  Does every website just think Cuba is very wrong pricing those cigars?

There are several reason why markups vary by product, but in this case supply and demand rules. HSA doesn't set the retail price of their cigars, the distributors do. The "executives" in Cuba don't have quite the grasp on capitalism that the executives at say H&F or PCC do. Have you ever looked at the difference between the on island price and off island price of Cohiba or Trinidad? It will make your eyes water. Talisman retail at 331 a box on island. The cheapest I've seen them anywhere else is here and that was at over DOUBLE that price, and they sold out before you could type out an order. Then you look at the other end of the spectrum and Rob has PLMCs for 10-15 over the island price, Cuabas for maybe less. :D

In summary, yes Cuba IS very wrong on the prices they charge for some of their cigars. Their are plenty of other items that affect the final cost of a box from here or a B&M vs. the island. Freight, Taxes Tariffs, shipping, insurance. You get more tobacco by weight in a box of A's, so the distributor will apply a higher percentage of total expenditure to match the higher tobacco weight. 

1 hour ago, Corylax18 said:

Have you ever looked at the difference between the on island price and off island price of Cohiba or Trinidad? It will make your eyes water.

I think the issue is more with special production outside of Trinidad which is easily the most disparate marca between on-island and off, however the Fundys are the real wacko price in Cuba--$261. That's easily 50% lower than any worldwide vendor price. Vigia is about 40-50% lower as well. Reyes and Coloniales are only about 20-30% lower. The other stupid deal is RAS at $57. And then you have something like Connie 1 for $157. I just picked up a box from a trusted vendor in late March for $162. 

However, the special productions are far worse. Yes, Talisman for $331, Robustos Supremos for $277, Cuba ERs for <$100. Behike is also ridiculously low. And some of the Gran Reservas are way out there too. RyJ Short Churchills GR were $400! Those would fly at $800 outside of Cuba in two seconds and $1000+ by the end of this year. For some reason HSA has no idea about the value of these. 

8 hours ago, MonkeyCrisco said:
The moderation has been a Maoist lately, so I'll try to tread this thread lightly. Hopefully this doesn't offend anyone: 

RyJ Short Churchills form 2017 have been the best example of this size since it came out about 10 or 11 years ago. Passing up the chance to smoke last year's Short Churchill production would be...well...unfortunate. 

Connie As on the other hand have been fairly consistent since they were released, and I suspect will continue this way. They've proven to be one of the more reliable sizes in an increasingly unreliable portfolio.

I hope I have not offended anyone here.

It's not the advice you've offered in regards to H.Upmann Connossieur A's and Romeo y Julieta Short Churchills, for your knowledge here is appreciated, rather, it's your reference of our service (i.e. the moderators) to our members as being equitable to the Cultural Revolution, where a great number of innocent people suffered unjust cruelty.

On the contrary, we try to protect our community by promoting genuine respect for each other, and most importantly, this genuine respect and empathy for others is valued more highly in our treatment of other members who have a different view to our own. I value serving the FriendsofHabanos community in this way, and likewise, I'm happy to assist you in sharing your knowledge for the benefit of our members in the future.

5 hours ago, FatherOfPugs said:

Starting off a post with that statement is probably not the best course. Mods have to keep a level of decorum. El Pres provides this awesome place for Habanos lovers to come here and gain knowledge, hangout with others from around the world, and have a good time. It's his playground and we play by his rules. You can have opinions on things, in general though, starting off statements by talking down to people telling them they are confused is not a great way to garner information or have others wanting or willing to help you out should you ask for it.

Thank you. Well said.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, MonkeyCrisco said:
The moderation has been a Maoist lately,

Really? I will put this out there, as your time on this forum may be cut short. This forum has rules, by which we all abide, both members and Mods. My fellow Mods and I have a fair amount of leniency, and will only act when absolutely necessary. If you cannot show a level of decorum in your posts, then we will happily show you the door.

I would suggest you go back and have a read of the rules.

• Like 1

I would love to taste that cherry flavor again but it seems to be a hit and miss. I would rather put my money on something that is consistent like the Connie A. My friend actually came back from Cuba with a box of each. He was willing to trade a few but i decided not to. I usually keep my boxes intact. So no trade there.

He told me that he smoked both the Short Churchills and the Connie A and he prefers the latter. Something about it being smoother.

In any case, i am good in terms of cigars for now. The purchase that i was most thrilled about in 2017 is a box of Fundadores that my other friend brought back from Cuba. Those look perfect!!