Where do you wear your wristwatch?

Where do you wear your wristwatch?  

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

After seeing a watch-based thread, I realised that almost nobody seems to wear their watch with the dial facing inwards.  I do this for two reasons.  The first is that I find it more natural to look at the inside of my wrist than the outside (less turning of the hand required).  Secondly I believe it protects the dial from being knocked or scuffed as easily.  Historically, I think the wearing of the dial facing outwards, was pushed by manufacturers so that their watches would be 'advertised' to others.  Does anyone know more about these origins?

My own watch is only worth around £500, but if I had some of the high-end watches featured in the thread above, I would be even more inclined to be discreet, and keep the identity of the watch concealed.  After all, I wear it so that I can see the time, not so that other people can look at it! :)  Ok, so I guess that's 3 reasons to wear the dial on the inner wrist.

Where do you wear yours, and what is your reasoning?

1 minute ago, HarveyBoulevard said:

Ankle...facing in...

Left or right please. :)

• Like 1

I'm a left-hand facing out kinda guy. I don't wear expensive watches (although I wish I did) as I can't justify the price to myself. I wear a swatch to work, it's pretty useful that they can be washed easily! I have a timex away from work so I don't mind if either gets a bit beaten up.

Left hand facing out.  Never liked the look of it facing in, and regardless I spend all day typing on a keyboard - if I wore it facing in this would just scratch the front of it worse.

16 hours ago, rickthecabbie said:

Left hand facing in, My right hand spends way too much time in tight spaces with sharp edges.

Are you a dentist? :D

To those guys who wear their watch on the right wrist.....don't you have difficulty if you need to wind the watch, or adjust the date etc?  I guess you take it off for these tasks?

• Like 1

I belong to a Rolex forum where many members post wrist shots and have hardly ever seen somebody wearing their watch with clasp on top of wrist and watch head on inner wrist. Very unconventional, but to each his own. I wear my watch on my right wrist, in normal position with watch head on top, clasp on bottom.

3 hours ago, NYgarman said:

I belong to a Rolex forum where many members post wrist shots and have hardly ever seen somebody wearing their watch with clasp on top of wrist and watch head on inner wrist. Very unconventional, but to each his own. I wear my watch on my right wrist, in normal position with watch head on top, clasp on bottom.

I agree that having the face on the inner wrist is unusual.  But I'm interested in knowing the origin or reasons for people who wear their watch on the outer wrist.  Some have said that it's easier to scratch the dial if you are resting your hands/wrists on a desk or keyboard.....hmmmmm.  I personally don't find this to be the case, but I can see what they mean.  Still, I believe it is more natural to look at something on the inside of your wrist.  Imagine you had a pocket watch...you would look at it with your wrist turned in.  In fact, when we put anything in our hand to look at, we have our wrist turned inwards.  I think the main reason for the outer dial being conventional is because that is how watches appear in advertisments (advertisers tell consumers what to do).  Over time, people just copy each other, as that is what appears 'normal' or 'correct'.

Also, regarding the Rolex forum....I think most poeple who buy a Rolex probably want everyone to see it.  So this could be biased data. :D

I wear mine left, out. It is easiest to see from that position. and the dial looks better than the clasp surely?? Ive never thought of inward facing as more comfortable. I find my hand seems to lay palm down. Interesting thread.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

I wear mine left wrist facing out. It's really uncomfortable to me to wear a big diver watch (45.5 x 17.5) facing in. I could definitely see it though on smaller watches that aren't as bulky.

• Like 1

left facing out... I have a nice red mark on my wrist where every single crown has rubbed the skin raw to the point it's a different texture altogether...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk