HdM Petit Robusto

HdM Petit Robusto - what's it like?  Recommended or avoid at all costs?  This is a tough one to get a handle on.  Not many reviews and they seem to be all over the map.  Looks like a perfect size!  I'm looking for a few more good CC's to add for dog-walking and am wondering if this one is worth picking up a box.    

• Like 1

I love this cigar. Normally I'm not a fan of petit robustos, but this I make an exception for. Get it in the 3x5 cartons rather than a 25 cab. Maybe it's just me but the 3 packs have always smoked better for me than the cabs.

• Like 1

I've always enjoyed them. Not to the level of its slightly bigger cousin, the Monte PE, but still a damn fine little smoke. 

As most of you know, I don't care for robustos but if they all tasted like these I would smoke more of them. This is one short format, fat cigar that I do have a liking for. All they need is an extra band and you could call them ELs.... ! -LOL

-Piggy

• Like 3

I will add a dissenting opinion to this thread... I purchased some 3-packs on the recommendation of a trusted vendor.  They are beautifully constructed, but I haven't found one yet that actually tastes good.  I've found them to be quite harsh and unpleasant, with very little in the way of cream.  It's quite possible that they need more time.

On 2/19/2017 at 6:51 PM, jwr0201 said:

HdM Petit Robusto - what's it like?  Recommended or avoid at all costs?  This is a tough one to get a handle on.  Not many reviews and they seem to be all over the map.  Looks like a perfect size!  I'm looking for a few more good CC's to add for dog-walking and am wondering if this one is worth picking up a box.    

Only had a few, but I like them a lot. Good, aromatic smokes with plenty of flavor. 

Only reason I haven't had more is I prefer a longer smoke, so I tend not to buy many petit robustos. If you like this size, though, I would definitely recommend these.

• Like 1

I like them as well, but agree with whoever said that they are best enjoyed after at least 2 years of rest.  However, if you're not worried about cost, the HDM Epicure DeLuxe is also a short format cigar (longer, yes, but still short format) and one that I prefer.  However, they clock in at between 8-10 a stick most places.  The deluxe, to my palate, is good to go after only 6 months of rest. 

I have smoked probably 75 of these, a staple in my humidor. They are quite full bodied compared to other Hoyo offerings so prepare yourself for that. Otherwise a great cigar.

3 hours ago, TheLiquidGator said:

Funny, I just bought these in 3X5. They were offered at a really great price. Hope they are good. Should arrive any day and I will post some pics.

After receiving these good responses, I did the same!  We should compare notes.

The shorter, large ring guage don't appeal to me to much. I convinced myself I liked the RyJ short church and monte petiet edmundos I bought a while back. They were good, but not for the price imo. 

Being said, I'd pick up a pack of 3 of these if I ran into em in a shop while traveling outside U.S.  couldn't bring myself to go for 15 of em tho. 

I had another one of these this weekend. Not quite as good as the last few but still very good. This was more woody with notes of espresso. It didn't have as much sweetness as I have noticed in the others from this box.  Construction was excellent.IMG_3681.JPG

• Like 3

I had one over the weekend. Splendid. And they only get better with age!

• Like 1