Rafael Gonzalez Perlas Question

I enjoy Rafael Gonzalez.  A lot.  Have had many PCs and Lonsdales and a few CE's.  For some reason I've never had the Perlas.  Can everyone/anyone shed some light on how they compare?  The PCs are so inexpensive for being so good, but the Perlas are very inexpensive as well.  Thoughts appreciated--good or bad.  Thanks!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm a big big fan of these. They present such value for money. They do need some time down to lose some water, they seem sensitive to it, a little more than Monte 5. Ive experienced favours more

I couldn't resist to buy one of those cute Cabinets.These are indeed repacked Petacas and the Cabinets were bought by 5th Avenue. They are totally different to Cuban Cabinets. Massive wood instead of

Exactly. The pc, with age, becomes much more complex and refined. But the Perla, in my experience, is ready ROTT. The same relationship can be said of the Monte 4 and Monte 5, IMO.

The Rafael Gonzalez Petit Coronas have come up a few times on 24:24 sales in the last few years but in that time I only remember the Perlas coming up once, and that was a few months ago. Of course they sold out in minutes. @Smallclub has them in his rotation, like @soutso, so that would be enough recommendation for me. I must admit it's one marca I haven't been able to grab, which I mean to rectify.

• Like 2

Agree with the sentiments above. I have a few boxes of these and they're regulars in my daily "coffee smoke" rotation with Party Shorts. I don't find them quite as mild as others, but rather a smooth as silk smoke with lovely rich flavours. I reckon out of many I've only had two that have disappointed.

I'd have them in my stock regardless (to a degree) of their cost.

• Like 1

Agree with the sentiments above. I have a few 50 cabs of these and they're regulars in my daily "coffee smoke" rotation with Party Shorts. I don't find them quite as mild as others, but rather a smooth as silk smoke with lovely rich flavours. I reckon out of many I've only had two that have disappointed.

I'd have them in my stock regardless (to a degree) of their cost.

Since when do RG Perlas come in 50 cabs? Or any kind of cabs, actually?

10 minutes ago, Lotusguy said:

Since when do RG Perlas come in 50 cabs? Or any kind of cabs, actually?

Apologies, I meant 25 dress boxes. Confusing them with the shorts! :)

the perlas is a great cigar pretty similar to the siglo 1 and monte 5 lots of cream and chocolate but in terms of price the perlas blows away the siglo and monte 5

*WARNING* Minority Opinion:

I love the PC with the fire of a thousand suns. With a colorado maduro wrapper and consistent notes of chocolate, honey and a little vanilla over exotic wood, they are hard to beat.

However (minority part), I have had numerous Perlas (from different boxes)  and found them often acrid and far less refined than the PC.

1 hour ago, earthson said:

I love the PC with the fire of a thousand suns. With a colorado maduro wrapper and consistent notes of chocolate, honey and a little vanilla over exotic wood, they are hard to beat.

However (minority part), I have had numerous Perlas (from different boxes)  and found them often acrid and far less refined than the PC.

Anyone else find this to be the case, or was it possibly a bad box? Are the perlas safe to buy blind from standard FOH store?

Anyone else find this to be the case, or was it possibly a bad box? Are the perlas safe to buy blind from standard FOH store?

I voiced my opinion further up in this thread...

2 hours ago, earthson said:

I've had one box of perlas. It needed about 2 years before it came around and lost that acrid flavor.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cep said:

BTW what does acrid mean??

LOL

I didn't know but it was close to what I thought.

ac·rid
ˈakrəd/
adjective

1. having an irritatingly strong and unpleasant taste or smell.
    "acrid fumes"
    synonyms: pungentbittersharpsourtartcausticharshirritatingacidacidic, vinegary, aceticacetousMore

• angry and bitter.
      "an acrid farewell"
  • Like 1

Ahhhhhhhhhh thx!

I have a cab of party shorts, they were smoking fine when I got them but now they are tasting acrid and I pitch them.  

Sucks!

• Like 1

I've had a few from the OR, a couple boxes since, and recently traded for a fiver to refresh my memory. I'm still not sure if I like them. 

I've had a few good ones, more crap ones and some that were just ok.

When good, they had all the right boxes ticked for RG. When not good, they usually have a weird metallic/acrid flavor. Imagine the taste of chewing on wet moldy wood. Very displeasing. 

So yeah the price is great, but I'm always hesitant on buying more.

• Like 2

I will stick with the RGPC's. At least as long as they are not axed like the HUPC.

There are too many varying opinions on the Perla. I'll pass. Life is too short to smoke mediocre cigars.

1 hour ago, NYgarman said:

I will stick with the RGPC's. At least as long as they are not axed like the HUPC.

There are too many varying opinions on the Perla. I'll pass. Life is too short to smoke mediocre cigars.

Why do other's opinions matter? You may absolutely love the cigar...Eventhough I don't like them, I would advise against never trying them for yourself. That's just being a sheep!

• Like 2