H.UPMANN NOELLAS JAR LCDH (25)

13 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

You'll regret not have a few jars in your cabinet regardless of how you find them to smoke.  Look at prices on the Gold Medals...  Weren't great cigars when they came out, but now everyone wants them at a premium...

Have to agree on the gold medals the re-release wasn't good, I haven't revisited them in quite some time though.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

7 days later.... Even though antibiotics and steroids are messing with my taste I can confirm not my smell. These smelled out of this world when I opened glass jar...just wow. Must be because the gl

First a caveat, the cigar speculation game is not one that I play. With that said, I am afraid that the 'sucker' section of the Cuban cigar market has grown leaps and bounds over the past 15 years. It

I respect a bunch of recognized names in this thread. I've aged a jar of these since release and another a year later. The jar from the second year. (Still no box code date under the cedar insert) The

I have a jar and they are a decent cigar.  I believe they will benefit with some age for sure and I was told be fellow FoH brothers that they are a 5 year proposition...put em to bed for 5 years and they're said to be excellent!  Hope that helps.

• Like 1

On 24/01/2017 at 3:19 AM, PigFish said:

I have to wonder further, and with some of your comments, and others, if this is more like a cigar made in '99 or '00? Anyone around long enough to strike a comparison. That is what it sounds like to me. Furthermore, if that is the case, I may have found a cigar that might be appealing to me. Packed stoutly, check, perhaps a little tannic, check, can be smoked when really dried out... check!!!

Hard beaten to compare them with anything, Ray. Constructionwise, I am a bit surprised to learn about loose rolls here. Mine (from '12, '13 and '14 jars, didn't try the most recent yet) were mostly pretty compact with a firm draw (and, as you will know, I have a high tolerance, not to say am a "sucker" for firmer draws... :D) with a blend displaying richness and concentration. I wouldn't go so far and say like a shrinked SW... Anyway, I like the Noellas format.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fugu said:

Hard beaten to compare them with anything, Ray. Constructionwise, I am a bit surprised to learn about loose rolls here. Mine (from '12, '13 and '14 jars, didn't try the most recent yet) were mostly pretty compact with a firm draw (and, as you will know, I have a high tolerance, not to say am a "sucker" for firmer draws... :D) with a blend displaying richness and concentration. I wouldn't go so far and say like a shrinked SW... Anyway, I like the Noellas format.

@FuguMine should be in any day now...where should I look for date if there is one on these?

On 01/23/2017 at 3:11 PM, BrightonCorgi said:

You'll regret not have a few jars in your cabinet regardless of how you find them to smoke.  Look at prices on the Gold Medals...  Weren't great cigars when they came out, but now everyone wants them at a premium...

Errr… no. No comparison.

The price of the GM has never dropped when it was available, it has only increased. The price of these Upmann jars tumbled dramatically, they can be found everywhere, there must be a reason for that…

Purchasing these jars "for investment" isn't exactly a brillant idea…

• Like 3

On 01/24/2017 at 3:19 AM, PigFish said:

Packed stoutly, check, perhaps a little tannic, check, can be smoked when really dried out... check!!!

Since this thread is about Upmann's, I guess you were a fan of the Gran Coronas and the Amatistas… that needed at least 5 years of age to become smokable (to my taste)…

3 hours ago, Smallclub said:

Errr… no. No comparison.

The price of the GM has never dropped when it was available, it has only increased. The price of these Upmann jars tumbled dramatically, they can be found everywhere, there must be a reason for that…

I agree. But time is what these jars seem to need and I will not get this back. So at this price, I grabbed a couple and put them away. And you know what really looks good in them? Pennies.

• Like 1

You are from France, so who knows what you are paying for GM's.... 

Over the last decade I sold 50K+ in cigars, so I'll stick to my experience over your opinion... 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Smallclub said:

Errr… no. No comparison.

In my world purchasing any cigar for an "investment" isn't a brilliant idea regardless of the cigar or "jar".

My opinion....your milage may vary. 

6 minutes ago, SaintMickey® said:

In my world purchasing any cigar for an "investment" isn't a brilliant idea regardless of the cigar

Each to their own I suppose... 

Made almost 1K on a box of Sublimes alone and that took like 4-5 years  of sitting on the box. 

How much are boxes of Sir Winstons going for?  Certainly a heck lot more than they cost 5 years ago...  At least double what most paid for them if you bought them back then...

12 hours ago, Fugu said:

Thanks my friend. Getting an answer to something around here is not always the easiest thing to do. I had a member offer to send me a few, so that means that I can try them. He likes coronas, so all will be good in time!!! -Ray

• Like 1

Just now, BrightonCorgi said:

Each to their own I suppose... 

Made almost 1K on a box of Sublimes alone and that took like 4-5 years. 

How much are boxes of Sir Winstons going for?  Certainly a heck lot more than they cost 5 years ago...  At least double what most paid for them if you bought them back then...

Your getting better milage than me!

All I was saying was there are better things to buy and "flip"...if I said what I've made "flipping" watches over the last 20 years no-one would probably believe me.

Since this thread is about Upmann's, I guess you were a fan of the Gran Coronas and the Amatistas… that needed at least 5 years of age to become smokable (to my taste)…

I cannot say that I remember the Gran Coronas... but I still have the Amatistas. Interesting that you bring them up as you and I don't really align on the issue of profile, but paths cross where the cross, do they not?

I have to say that the best Upmann cigars that I have ever experienced was the lonsdale. That cigar was uniquely complex and refined.

I am going to have to find those Amatistas, forgot all about them until you brought them up. Cheers! -R

4 hours ago, Smallclub said:

Or to put it from a different angle - it is indeed a good cigar for "investment", for - you can't really lose: Even if they won't appreciate much in value (and I think I concur with you SC, given the wide availability and its non-limited nature) you'll at least have a fine cigar to enjoy years down the road.... :D

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PigFish said:

Thanks my friend. Getting an answer to something around here is not always the easiest thing to do. I had a member offer to send me a few, so that means that I can try them. He likes coronas, so all will be good in time!!! -Ray

Yep, do try a few and form your own opinion! Nothing to lose really.

3 minutes ago, SaintMickey® said:

Your getting better milage than me!

All I was saying was there are better things to buy and "flip"...if I said what I've made "flipping" watches over the last 20 years no-one would probably believe me.

First a caveat, the cigar speculation game is not one that I play. With that said, I am afraid that the 'sucker' section of the Cuban cigar market has grown leaps and bounds over the past 15 years. It appear that whatever nonsense that flows from the collector/speculator community eventually affects the end smoker, IMHO unfortunately. I don't fault anyone from taking profits off the table if that is what they are in it for. I figure someday some a-hole will give me 5K for a box of original release Siglo 6's and that will make me a seller!!! -LOL I don't even like the damn cigars, so I will take some guy with more dollars then sense someday...!

Me, I am a smoker. I probably just lost a ton of money breaking a cab of Partagas londales last year. I don't care... I bought them to smoke and smoke them I will! If I viewed cigars that way I am a regular $30 a cigar smoker today and that was never my intent...!

I know some of you guys do it and I don't fault you. I just think the entire attitude has ruined the Cuban cigar for regular folks, of which I consider myself one. -The Pig

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, PigFish said:

I have to say that the best Upmann cigars that I have ever experienced was the lonsdale. That cigar was uniquely complex and refined.

As we are at crossing or 'joining' paths, Ray - the discussion on vintage charts, poor years and this one here: The H. Upmann Lonsdales I got from 2000 are some of the best and most complex Upmanns, if not one of the best Lonsdales, I had. Strongly agree!

One of those cigars where you regret not having stocked up more in times when they were to be had.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PigFish said:

Me, I am a smoker. I probably just lost a ton of money breaking a cab of Partagas londales last year. I don't care... I bought them to smoke and smoke them I will! If I viewed cigars that way I am a regular $30 a cigar smoker today and that was never my intent...!

Actually this is the flipside even affecting those not intending to sell: You feel more and more sick about smoking your old stuff, when you see current going prices.

• Like 2

Much of my selling was because it was too easy or I did not see any value in smoking $100+ dollar cigars; would rather sell them.  I sold to build my collection.  Sell the show off cigars and buy regular stuff to smoke and enjoy.  Now all that "regular stuff" is pricey with 10-15 years age on it!

Granted I am under 100 boxes at current, so I am very small time compared to you all...  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Much of my selling was because it was too easy or I did not see any value in smoking $100+ dollar cigars; would rather sell them.  I sold to build my collection.  Sell the show off cigars and buy regular stuff to smoke and enjoy.  Now all that "regular stuff" is pricey with 10-15 years age on it!

Granted I am under 100 boxes at current, so I am very small time compared to you all...  

I actually thinks this makes perfect sense. If they were still making many of the cigars that I like, I would roll older stock, at least potentially. My problem is that Tabacuba no longer makes many of the cigars that I like, and coincidentally, that is what gives them their value. I was buying these cigars when vendors could not give them away... and now, suddenly they have some 'great' value!!! I won't argue the value to another, but like Goo was saying, I look at what I am burning up, and I have to say that was never my intent. I have to look at them the same way I did when I bought them, or I would do just what you have done.

My serious problem is that I am not a believer that Tabacuba is going to make a cigar to replace my Diplomaticos, or RA's or RG's... etc. If I get rid of them I am left with a limited catalog of smokes that I cannot honestly say that I have faith in. What I buy today I buy on the come, knowing that even if it is not that good, a decade from now some sucker will likely buy it from me... Storage for cigars for me is not a problem.

The only tobacco products I have lost money on, are the cigars that I smoke! I expected to lose money on them... I bought them to smoke! Frankly, I never expected to have a problem with them going up 10x in value. As Ken would say, this is a first world problem! -LOL

As a parting shot, I would sacrifice the value for the continuation of the superior cigar and the ability to buy them today. Having them axed and escalate in value is no benefit to the smoking community as a whole, and as a part of it, not to me either...

Cheers mate! -tP

What's the general consensus?  Is the re-release the same blend as the original?

I've had one original and it was very nice. Smooth, creamy, with a touch of sweetness.   The fresh re-release I tried have not been nearly as nice. Fairly rough and unpleasant. (but not unusual for a cigar that young.)

Do you think the newer ones end up like the original after some years?

-Dan

5 hours ago, Smallclub said:

Errr… no. No comparison.

I don't know about that... What was the going price? I looked up some receipts and bought these GM's for less than $60.00 a box at one time. The deal was somewhat unique and I am not going to go into it... but I recall paying considerably more for the Wolters release. Jesus, now I am testing my memory... It was Wolters that brought them back, right?

Errors in the above statement are not intentional... I just cannot remember all the historical details any longer!!! Cheers! -R