Plugged cigars, what do you do with them?

Wow, I have accumulated 70 plugged cigars. These are the one that I can't get a draw from at all!  Drives me nuts. 

What do the rest of my FOH family do with theirs and from a box, how many do you find?

I average about 1-2 per box that are not able to smoke. Just curious. 

IMG_0174.JPG

IMG_0175.JPG

• Like 1

A couple of time I cut them up and then tried to smoke them in a pipe. Gave up on that. Tried poking them, but more often then not they cracked. Now I just try to smoke through them, massage them, and when I can't get get a half decent draw I just pitch em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yeah, that is quite a drawer of plugged sticks.  1-2 per box (on a consistent basis) seems to be way outside of the norm.  Could just be a nasty string of bad luck.  However, I'm curious what the rH is in your humidor.  You might want to lower it to 58rH - 60rH and see if that helps.  Rob has also mentioned the refrigerator trick that often works.  Cut the head of the plugged stick, put it in the refrigerator for 30-40 minutes, then smoke.  If that doesn't work try the draw poker.    

• Like 1

I dry them to about 55 Rh and see if they are smokeable. If not, get a pipe, chop the cigar to a length where you can get a draw, plug it into the mouth of the pipe and have fun.

It may look stupid but it works. Saw a photo of a cigar roller smoking a cigar stuck in a pipe so he could use both of his hands to roll. I'll see if I can find the photo

18 minutes ago, MahDooRow said:

Yeah, that is quite a drawer of plugged sticks.  1-2 per box (on a consistent basis) seems to be way outside of the norm.  Could just be a nasty string of bad luck.  However, I'm curious what the rH is in your humidor.  You might want to lower it to 58rH - 60rH and see if that helps.  Rob has also mentioned the refrigerator trick that often works.  Cut the head of the plugged stick, put it in the refrigerator for 30-40 minutes, then smoke.  If that doesn't work try the draw poker.    

I keep my humi @ 63 Rh and temp at 67f. 

All CC smoke great. 

19 minutes ago, Texwrangler said:

got any of those 'friends' that always seem to forget their cigars and always borrowing from you....we all have a few friends like that, LOL.   Well next time, I'd let them have one of these..and see if they come back for more  :o

Love it. I'll try it this week. Ha!

• Like 1

I'm one of those idiots that try to smoke it, massage it, poke it, whatever, just so I don't waste it. I generally end up dissatisfied and would have been better off chucking it and lighting another. 

I have to say, my plug rate is much lower than yours and usually smoke through boxes without a single one giving me fits.  However, usually, when I do get a plugged one, it's not the only one in the box and I'll get 2-3 more from that same box that are plugged.  I don't have any explanation for why that is, and it's likely just anecdotal rather than indicative of anything. 

I think Rob has said before to put them in the fridge for a while before smoking a plugged cigar. May be wrong on that and have not tried; I don't normally know it's plugged until I try it and if it is I pitch it and get another one. I've had enough cigars that felt too packed that I though would be plugged that were not to make that determination before actually lighting it.

3 minutes ago, TheLiquidGator said:

Odd, I can count on maybe one hand the number of CC's I have encountered that have been plug. A few more have had "firm" draws. For the most part they have all smoked pretty well. I have been smoking CC's since 1993.

This of course not in a months time span but over the last couple of years. 

2 minutes ago, TheGipper said:

First of all, you don't make a distinction between plugged and tight draw.  Probably most of theses are just tight/over-filled.

Too many bad suggestions here...don't pitch 'em, don't chop them up, don't start poking at them with a draw tool.

Just let them sit where they are for six months.  Then try the draw again.  By then, I bet you'll find many have opened up and are smokable.  The ones that didn't open up, give them another six months in your penalty box.  Then repeat the process.

After 1-2 years, most should open up.  But even the ones that are still tight after 2 years, don't throw them away.  I still have H. Upmann Monarchs from 2002 that are only just now opening up, and boy, am I glad I didn't toss them.

Great idea. Thanks. 

Cut them up, soak the scraps in a couple gallons of warm water for a day or two, and spray the infused water around your garden or lawn to to keep the insects and rodent pests away.

Odd, I can count on maybe one hand the number of CC's I have encountered that have been plug. A few more have had "firm" draws. For the most part they have all smoked pretty well. I have been smoking CC's since 1993.

Me the same and that doesn't include my thumb.

• Like 1

I'd check your rh because that's just way too many, recommend 65%. I pitch 1 or 2 a year and I can tell they're tight even before I cut them. 

Did you test the draw indoors or outside? I hear FL can get pretty humid outside. I hope you find a fix for this.