Smart Watches

They have been around for a few years and into their 2nd and 3rd generations. 

Out of interest who has one....and do you find them useful? Has the one you have met your expectation?

Is there any new ones coming out in 2017 that you are considering :thinking:

Let m know your thoughts. One of my "possible" buys for 2017. 

It functions even without the phone near by (LTE version vs Bluetooth only). So I can leave my phone at the office and I will still get all the emails, Texts and other alerts. 

Or even when your phone is in the pocket its alot easier to check on the watch who just email or texted you without reaching in the pocket for the phone.

It looks like real watch and not some electronic gadget. I wear watch from morning to evening. Great companion and just makes my life easier. 

There is also more classic model that looks thinner and more elegant.

My wife got me the Samsung Gear Fit 2 for Xmas. More of a fitness device than pure watch, but still with all the watch features in it. Connects via bluetooth to the phone or via wi-fi to any network.   

The fitness stuff is just Ok, but I find I really like the notifications coming through on my watch (for texts, calls, etc).  Many times my phone is in pocket or jacket on mute - I hate to leave it in ring mode.  The watch solves that so I don't miss calls I need to be taking. 

Samsung seems pretty devoted to this segment so they're creating apps you can download on to the device. So I've got my Spotify music on the watch now and it can connect to my blue tooth headphones in the gym. 

Still not sold on the standard smart watches - they're just too damn big for me. 

Image result for samsung gear fit 2 images

1 hour ago, seattledude said:

Absolutely! I bought my first smart watch this year. Honestly I dont know how I lived without one =)

Samsung Gear S3 Frontier LTE. AWESOME!

IMG_20161125_205524.jpg

Nice watch.  Is that an SVI Infinity in the background?

The LTE version of the Gear S3 is not available in Aus. Our Telcos do not support virtual SIMs at this point in time. eSIM support is rumoured to be available mid to late 2017.

Btw, stick with an Android watch, as you have a 'droid phone.

I have the original version of the Apple watch. I have been wearing it everyday since its release in April 2015.  Despite that, overall, I am not a big fan.  I like that my text messages pop up on the watch and so i can see who texted and about what without having to pull out my phone. This helps when I'm busy at work or doing something around the house where both of my hands are tied up.  It is nearly impossible to reply or have a text conversation though since it is too small and the voice recognition is just not quite good enough.  I also take notice of the step counter and calorie burner every day, but I understand that the data from most wearable smart devices are not fully reliable even in this regard.  My favorite function is using it while I golf for distance to flag (paired with Arccos app).  

That being said, I do not take advantage of all of the possible features and apps, and really just use it as a watch.  There are much nicer watches out there that tell time just fine. 

Another thing I do like about it is that many of my colleagues and friends collect watches or have very nice ones.  I've never been able to splurge on an expensive, luxury watch.  I have found that no one judges someone for wearing an apple watch (at least not in that way) and I often come across CEOs or extremely wealthy individuals that also wear the apple watch.  It has been a sort of equalizer for me.  Lame reason to have it, but that's probably the main reason I keep wearing it despite not really utilizing its various features to make it worthwhile. 

I would not buy another one simply because I don't really use it for much.  This is more of a "me" issue than a smart watch issue in general though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HarveyBoulevard said:

Sweet lord...I for sure don't want one now if I can't even 'accidentally' leave my phone at the office to escape emails and texts!!!  This is what I'm after :)

Wrist Sundial.jpg

Amen brother. Why does everybody feel the need to be connected all the time? 

I just got my first touch screen phone a couple months back. My life has not improved...lol

• Like 2

My missus bought me a Gen 2 Galaxy watch a while back
I found it to be a fun toy for a while but never really found the seamless functionality that a lot of people get when they use one

Thanks to the fact that all Aus Smart Watches need to be paired to a phone in order to fully function I found it offered me nothing that pulling my phone out of my pocket wouldn't also achieve

Plus, it was one more thing I had to put on charge every night, so that was a pain

Personally, I'd rather wear an Oris and just pull my phone out of my pocket if it makes a noise

• Like 2

I have the original apple watch as well.  I drive 1,200 miles a week (3,581 km for those of you who use metric) and I find it useful for getting messages but I seldom use it for more than that and tracking calorie burning.  

For me it's easily worth the price of admission, for non distance drivers like myself, it's an unnecessary toy.  My 2 cents.

No. In five years, today's leading edge technology will look like it came from the Flintstones.

I'm already on that treadmill for phones. Unless that smart watch also comes with a Star Trek Transporter feature, I'm staying analog.

56 minutes ago, shlomo said:

Amen brother. Why does everybody feel the need to be connected all the time? 

I just got my first touch screen phone a couple months back. My life has not improved...lol

Yes I can see why people like them, but I for one find the phone a big enough tether

• Like 1

Being a bit of a tech geek (who isn't these days), I recommend knowing what you are going to use the watch for before diving in.  If you don't have a specific use in mind (jogging, golfing, etc) then you will most likely be disapointed.

For me, my car reads my texts and emails and when not in the car, I look at the phone, so it's not a fit.  For golf, I like a golf specific device (garmin), so again not a fit.  Now for my spouse, she likes to Run / Walk as part of her workout, so distances, steps, calories, etc all come into play, so the smartwatch works well.

IMHO :P

I'd probably wait. I have a Apple Watch Series 1, and while useful for notifications, text messages, navigation, and golf, I only wear it 2-3 days a week and don't miss it the days I don't wear it. The battery life is better than advertised (I average 2 days per charge), but the functionality just isn't enough to warrant "must-have" status. 

Its nice enough to have, but the app ecosystem needs to get leaps better before I would buy another one. 

Just scroll down think I stuffed up the link it's the Casio watch 

they make decent watches whilst not mechanical they are super accurate cheers

I have the Apple Watch series 2 and find it very useful, if rather ugly. Switched from a Fitbit Blaze which was useful but even uglier. I mostly use the notifications and fitness tracker. Wish the battery life was better but I get almost two days of use. The one feature I miss compared to the Fitbit blaze (which is much simpler, doesn't have Apps, and is pretty much a display only device but with awesome battery life) is the sleep monitoring. The voice input on the Apple Watch works very well for me, btw. I use iPhone 7+ with it.

Forgot to mention: water proof is a must for me and neither FitBit Blaze nor Apple Watch series 1 offer it.

No point in looking at an Apple watch. They are not compatible with Android phones, unlike Android Wear watches, which are mostly compatible with iPhone 5 and above. Though, you won't get full functionality like you would with a phone and watch running the same software.

8 hours ago, seattledude said:

STI DVC Limited =) 

Close enough.... ;)

I've got a 2011 5.0 in 9.  Runs like a Swiss watch.

• Like 1

I have a Garmin fenix 3 HR that I love.  I had been a traditional luxury watch person until this watch.  I hated the Apple watch and never was motivated to look at the other cell phone maker watches.  This Garmin has everything.  It will display texts messages, calendar etc, but it's mostly a fitness tracker.  I use it for running, rowing and all sorts of exercise.  It's GPS enabled and has an  accurate heart rate monitor - - it also counts steps and stairs climbed.  I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a versatile smart watch.  

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/545480