What happened to my BPC?

Yesterday I started a PLMC (EML JUN 15) while working on my pool, and I was really enjoying it. A little past half way I had to put it down as I got busy doing something inside. Then the football games started, so I went back out and finished the PLMC , and then immediately lit a PSP ranked BPC (ETP ENE 16). Boy, what a disappointment. The PLMC was ripe and tasty, packed with rich tobacco flavor. The BPC seemed like air and didn't build much at all, it was like someone stole the flavor from it. WTF?

I recall BPCs being significantly stronger and more flavorful. What happened?

• Like 2

Recent box of ETP SEP 15 BPC was lackluster to say the least. Not one cigar over a 90 for me. Just finished up a box of EML SEP 14 PLMC yesterday and they were all better than the BPCs. Most were 90+ for me. So I'm right there with you.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Philc2001 said:

and then immediately lit a PSP ranked BPC (ETP ENE 16). Boy, what a disappointment. The PLMC was right and tasty, packed with rich tobacco flavor. The BPC seemed like air and didn't build much at all, it was like someone stole the flavor from it. WTF?

I recall BPCs being significantly stronger and more flavorful. What happened?

OUCH.........have 2 untouched boxes exact same....hope it was just a dud..........

When I saw this I had to run downstairs to check the code on my box. ETP SEP 15 BPC; downright awful. Tight draw and the strangest potpourri flavor that's not strong enough to be enjoyable. 

Utterly disappointed but it's compounded by the two boxes of '15 ULA BCJ that also have a super tight draw. 

Anyone wants either boxes, post up ISO and tag me in the trading forum. 

1 hour ago, BarryNY said:

OUCH.........have 2 untouched boxes exact same....hope it was just a dud..........

Hate to say it, but this is the 3rd or 4th from this box, and they've all been just flat.  But the contrast of smoking one back to back after the PLMC made it so much more noticeable. Night and day difference.

44 minutes ago, FHFinster said:

Utterly disappointed but it's compounded by the two boxes of '15 ULA BCJ that also have a super tight draw. 

I have a box of ULA MAR 15 BCJ that are all but unsmokeable from tight draw.  You could pound these into cement with a sledgehammer and not damage the cigars.

- MG

• Like 1

I've found Boli PCs and Upmann PCs with the darker thicker wrappers seem to stay in that dead zone for awhile.  When they come out they seem to have an awesome something to them I really really like.  Don't give up on them just yet.  Maybe you got duds but I think they just need some extended downtime.  If they have the lighter wrappers I don't know how to help--I've enjoyed them right from the get go.  

1 hour ago, Philc2001 said:

Hate to say it, but this is the 3rd or 4th from this box, and they've all been just flat.  But the contrast of smoking one back to back after the PLMC made it so much more noticeable. Night and day difference.

Do you have any pictures of these premium flavorless smokes?

I had high hopes for the PSP/HQ box of BPC (ETP ENE 16) in my OHS locker.  I guess I'll have to lower my expectations.  The comments and feedback in this thread are disappointing to say the least.  They're also in stark contrast to what I've experienced with the BPC and BCJ currently in my humidor.  I've got one box of BPC with code ULA MAY 15 and one box of BCJ with code ETP MAR 16.  Both boxes are smoking very well.  Great flavor, excellent construction and no sticks with a tight draw.                  

3 hours ago, MaxG said:

I have a box of ULA MAR 15 BCJ that are all but unsmokeable from tight draw.  You could pound these into cement with a sledgehammer and not damage the cigars.

This has always been a significant problem with BCJ for many years. Overfilled, hard-as-a-rock and tight draws. A cigar I never--and I do mean never--buy blind. Most of the problem can be eliminated by a good physical inspection--the kind Rob generally does. But it takes more than a quick look. The cigars need to be felt and looked at closely. 

It's a shame, too, since I think a good BCJ is the best Minutos, hands down.

It really looks like 15 BPCs are going to get the avoid label from me in general just as 15 PLPC, 15 Party Shorts and 14 RyJ have. Very interesting as 15-16 BCG have been so fantastic. I think I might just hold off on BPC entirely until some late 16 stock comes rolling in.

Simple solution, however: Boli Tubos No 2 are rocking right now, and IMO worth the price premium. In fact, I'd just go with the Tubos No 1. Why pass up a Bolivar Corona?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Simple solution, however: Boli Tubos No 2 are rocking right now, and IMO worth the price premium. In fact, I'd just go with the Tubos No 1. Why pass up a Bolivar Corona?

I agree. Just ordered my first box of Tubos #2 last week. :D

- MG 

9 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

This has always been a significant problem with BCJ for many years. Overfilled, hard-as-a-rock and tight draws. A cigar I never--and I do mean never--buy blind. Most of the problem can be eliminated by a good physical inspection--the kind Rob generally does. But it takes more than a quick look. The cigars need to be felt and looked at closely. 

I'm pretty sure the OP's box did come from a 24:24 sale in which boxes were inspected and graded by Rob.  And if Phil bought this box of BPC on the same date that I purchased mine, it's graded at PSP/HQ.  Based on the posted pictures they sure do look PSP/HQ.  However, Rob is not infallible... and with the number of boxes that he has to inspect on a daily basis, some good looking boxes that may have construction issues will occasionally slip through.  It just comes with the territory and it's an unavoidable risk that we all take with this hobby.  

9 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I wonder why the construction quality of the Tubos No. 1 and No. 2 is better than the BPC and BCJ.  I've even read in some recent posts that the blend is different between the BPC and the Tubos No. 2 even though the two vitolas are the same (129 x 42). 

1 hour ago, MahDooRow said:

I'm pretty sure the OP's box did come from a 24:24 sale in which boxes were inspected and graded by Rob.  And if Phil bought this box of BPC on the same date that I purchased mine, it's graded at PSP/HQ.  Based on the posted pictures they sure do look PSP/HQ.  However, Rob is not infallible... and with the number of boxes that he has to inspect on a daily basis, some good looking boxes that may have construction issues will occasionally slip through.  It just comes with the territory and it's an unavoidable risk that we all take with this hobby.

You're mixing up everything. The OP's problem is not BCJ's construction, but BPC's flavors.

• Like 2

With fewer choices in the Habanos PC world, overproduction problems simply hit the most popular products. This does not mean that they are all bad, it just means that one should be prepared to deal with bad cigars and bad boxes of cigars. I have felt this about the Bolivar PC for many years now. I just don't think they are very good, in general, sorry to say! I will take this to the PLPC as well. Great before it got dropped. Great when reborn, pretty poor now!

I don't know where it will lead, but I have been gambling some on PC's in tubes, Punch and the like that may not be over produced. I cannot tell you anything today as I just started picking them up last year, and I won't smoke any for at least a year.

I can say that they are not any better from the percentage undefiled perspective. That is still a problem, so I am betting that the strategy while thoughtfully concocted, is not likely to bare much fruit...

-Piggy

• Like 1

These were in fact BPC from 24:24, and as far as looks and construction go I would rate them closer to PSP than HQ. None so far that were tight or plugged, and just from feel I think there won't be any bad ines in the box. They are gorgeous, and they burn superbly well, which you can see in the picture. But we all know looks and construction don't equate to great flavor. I've had some gorgeous cigars that taste like crap, and the ugliest cigars that are wonderful flavor bombs. All part of the journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1