Posey Reintroduces Bill To Block FDA Regulation Of Premium Cigars

Well, at least someone is in there fighting, and it's certainly not a politically popular fight. Good on Rep. Posey.

It will certainly take an act of congress to modify the regulations regarding cigars but I do think the federal and/or supreme court may overturn the regulatory power of the FDA regarding vaping products/e-cigs as they are not tobacco products by definition, and the FDA only has authority to regulate tobacco products in this way via the Tobacco Control Act. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Duxnutz said:

He has said he doesn't smoke. 

No, but he is not in favor of business killing regulations either. That is a GOOD thing.

It wouldn't happen over here in OZ we live in a nanny state,where the sale of cigars here  may be one day soon not an option ,that before we get to the Horrendous tax increases over the last 4to 5 years 

Democracy is an illusion 

• Like 2

... If you read the comments section, Mr. Piggy has already weighed in on the conversation. -LOL

I am sorry, but this is not a solution... The solution is in killing the administrative state as an unrepresented 4th branch of government. I don't know about you guys, but I did not vote for a representative so that he/she can take a powder and assign his tasks as my representative to group that I cannot have a say in, meet in a town hall and converse with nor vote to remove!!!

Steve my friend, I am going to challenge you a bit. What is pitched as democracy is an illusion. Democracy is and always will be a mob, taking things it has no right to take from a minority group. Democracy is majoritarian tyranny! Without understanding this (not you, but the population as a whole) that human rights are neither granted nor removed by other men, but by a power greater than other men, man will never be free again!

Steve, this is democracy in action; unmoored from natural rights, not understanding it, no one's individual liberty is safe!

-R

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PigFish said:

... If you read the comments section, Mr. Piggy has already weighed in on the conversation. -LOL

I am sorry, but this is not a solution... The solution is in killing the administrative state as an unrepresented 4th branch of government. I don't know about you guys, but I did not vote for a representative so that he/she can take a powder and assign his tasks as my representative to group that I cannot have a say in, meet in a town hall and converse with nor vote to remove!!!

Steve my friend, I am going to challenge you a bit. What is pitched as democracy is an illusion. Democracy is and always will be a mob, taking things it has no right to take from a minority group. Democracy is majoritarian tyranny! Without understanding this (not you, but the population as a whole) that human rights are neither granted nor removed by other men, but by a power greater than other men, man will never be free again!

Steve, this is democracy in action; unmoored from natural rights, not understanding it, no one's individual liberty is safe!

-R

Simply a result of the pressures of activism and progressivism. It was only a matter of time before the constitution stopped being a limit on politicians, or the Hamiltonian interpretation of the constitution prevailed, and where the general welfare clause serves as permission for congress to do anything they want, How is it that a constitutional amendment was needed in 1919 to ban alcohol, but not for tobacco and drugs? 99% of what the FDA does and the Tobacco Control Act is utterly unconstitutional, but the constitution stands in no one's way anymore.

Lysander Spooner was indeed correct--either the constitution allows such oppressive acts, in which case it is fatally flawed, or it doesn't, and it's a worthless piece of paper. I'm leaning towards the latter. We will end up feasting on ourselves with this mob rule.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Simply a result of the pressures of activism and progressivism. It was only a matter of time before the constitution stopped being a limit on politicians, or the Hamiltonian interpretation of the constitution prevailed, and where the general welfare clause serves as permission for congress to do anything they want, How is it that a constitutional amendment was needed in 1919 to ban alcohol, but not for tobacco and drugs? 99% of what the FDA does and the Tobacco Control Act is utterly unconstitutional, but the constitution stands in no one's way anymore.

Lysander Spooner was indeed correct--either the constitution allows such oppressive acts, in which case it is fatally flawed, or it doesn't, and it's a worthless piece of paper. I'm leaning towards the latter. We will end up feasting on ourselves with this mob rule.

Absolute truth.  And a great example.

We got here one small step at a time.  A thousand steps largely unnoticed at the time, unopposed, unchallenged.  And it will not stop.  Even attempting to slow the landslide is seen as dark ages thinking.

- MG

• Like 2

On 1/14/2017 at 4:33 PM, NSXCIGAR said:

Well, at least someone is in there fighting, and it's certainly not a politically popular fight. Good on Rep. Posey.

It will certainly take an act of congress to modify the regulations regarding cigars but I do think the federal and/or supreme court may overturn the regulatory power of the FDA regarding vaping products/e-cigs as they are not tobacco products by definition, and the FDA only has authority to regulate tobacco products in this way via the Tobacco Control Act. 

It's not as unpopular as you'd think.  HR 662 and S 441 both had quite a few cosponsors from both parties.  The small business angle plays well with both sides.  Compared to the general public, there seems to be a disproportionately large number of cigar smokers in congress.  The problem is they're not just fighting anti-smoking elements.  They're also fighting the big tobacco lobby.  Cigarette companies don't want any exemptions for cigars for obvious reasons.  It's an uphill battle, but in my estimation it's still the best chance we have.  I don't have a lot of hope that the courts will issue any favorable rulings that will apply to cigars.  As for vaping, you may be correct.  But then congress will just have to pass another law giving the FDA authority over those products, or even just amend the Tobacco Control Act.  That's how the act came to be in the first place.  Unfortunately the courts are not going to step in and limit the FDA in the long run.  Only congress will be able to do that.

• Like 1

... how did we survive without the FDA? Pure luck I guess!!!

How I love the idea that the government is king, and I have to beg the king for one tiny shred of my liberty back. Talk about going backwards! Progressive government, is regression!!!

I want to know why one can self medicate with marijuana, and I need a prescription for my Brilinta?

-Piggy