Diplomaticos No 4

The Dip 4 was my very first Cuban. I can remember walking into the Casa Havana in Soho very nervously and asking for a recommendation. Does anyone remember these smokes and does anyone have any left considering they were discontinued a few years ago.

oh I sure do remember these one my all time favorite petite coronas I miss these dearly I have half a box left from 1997 and they are smoking just perfect lots of floral and caramel notes just wonderful totally forgot about this cigar so wish it would come back! petite coronas are my favorite size

Ah the Dip 4.....how I miss thee!  One of my favorites.  Please HSA, help a brother out and bring them back!!!!  I am sure they would sell.  I would ne happy to pay a little more for them if that would help you fellas out.:idea:  

Yea right.  Deaf ears.  What the heck do I know....:lol3:

• Like 1

I agree, they need to bring them back. They seem to be a big forum favorite, I only wish I had the chance to try one before they were discontinued. I am amazed at how good the Dip RE spain is, from what I was told it is very similar to the dna of a dip 4. If thats the case sign me up. unfortunately with alot of great smokes that go the way of discontinued the allure becomes the hunt for those treasured few left. Hopefully Dip has some new releases in the future will that rival them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They should go the PLPC route on these and do them in 50's but only once every 2-3 years. B)

With the shortage of leaf over the next 2-3 years, I wouldn't bank on them rolling back to a production of these anytime soon. They will leave it to the Distributors/Regional releases to do the heavy lifting if these were to return in any guise. 

• Like 2

They (and many other discontinued cigars) only became favorites once they were no longer available. If they had been big sellers, they would have been kept around. Much like the LGC MdO series or QdO Imperiales.

I do like them but a few collectors like us would be a drop in the bucket in terms of actual demand.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, El Presidente said:

They should go the PLPC route on these and do them in 50's but only once every 2-3 years. B)

With the shortage of leaf over the next 2-3 years, I wouldn't bank on them rolling back to a production of these anytime soon. They will leave it to the Distributors/Regional releases to do the heavy lifting if these were to return in any guise. 

Frustrating to hear about the leaf shortage, especially with the new large RG cigars that require more leaves in general....

1 minute ago, hellorockview12 said:

Frustrating to hear about the leaf shortage, especially with the new large RG cigars that require more leaves in general....

Don't bother - they are making up for it by keeping them shorter   :D

• Like 3

I too will join the chorus here and would love to have them back. I have savoured the ones I've had because they've all been smoked post-2010, after discontinuation. There's no way that Habanos S.A will bring these back into regular production, they'd rather use the leaf to make limited number Regional Editions for more return (sadly for us enthusiasts).

• Like 2

Diplomatico cigars, are in my humble option better, cigar for cigar, than the Montecristo line. Losing the #1 and #3 was equally disturbing.

Having loaded up on boxes of the #1, it remains a perennial favorite of mine.

-Piggy

• Like 4

Why make a simple single band cigar when you can double band it and double price it?!!

What's your opinion of the Diplo Dutch regional?

Regards.

4 hours ago, strikethebox7 said:

I agree, they need to bring them back. They seem to be a big forum favorite, I only wish I had the chance to try one before they were discontinued. I am amazed at how good the Dip RE spain is, from what I was told it is very similar to the dna of a dip 4.

The Dip Spanish RE was 10 X better than all the Dip 4 I've smoked. This release sold at light speed for a reason, when the Diplomaticos line was cutted precisely because it didn't sell…

23 minutes ago, Smallclub said:

The Dip Spanish RE was 10 X better than all the Dip 4 I've smoked. This release sold at light speed for a reason, when the Diplomaticos line was cutted precisely because it didn't sell…

That makes sense why it was pulled then. Sales dictate everything in regular production. The Dip spanish RE was outstanding, and I'm still trying to find more of them with not much luck.  I can't attest for how good or bad the dip 4 was as it was gone before I discovered Habanos. I just remembered people referring to it when the Spanish RE came out that it had a similar sweetness to it. 

I was gifted a Dip#3 a few years ago. Had a very unique flavor profile. Oriental spices in the flavor notes! Never had anything like it before.Quote

3 hours ago, Shikar said:

Why make a simple single band cigar when you can double band it and double price it?!!

What's your opinion of the Diplo Dutch regional?

Regards.

... if that question was aimed at me, I have no comparison. I don't buy one off, untested and overpriced cigars. Some time you win with them, sometimes you lose. I never win or lose with RE's and EL's because I don't buy them.

Cheers! Piggy

... if that question was aimed at me, I have no comparison. I don't buy one off, untested and overpriced cigars. Some time you win with them, sometimes you lose. I never win or lose with RE's and EL's because I don't buy them.

Cheers! Piggy

Piggy, that question was just a general question, not directed at anyone, as the Dutch regional Diplo are my fav size and are still at a reasonable prize. I bought it and enjoy it but was wondering what the consensus is on that cigar Diplomaticos Embajador RE.

Regards.

13 hours ago, PigFish said:

Cheers! Piggy

@PigFish Ray, I keep meaning to send you a good RE sampler, because

i) I know you're hankering to try these fat, 54 RG Short Robustos like I am :rolleyes:
ii) Much to my Chagrin, a few of them actually taste good. (Still doesn't mean I'm buying them up)
iii) I'm honestly curious at your take on the taste of a few of them, to see if they jive with my thoughts (As I know your thoughts on the size already pretty much mirrors mine)

I'll Include one of the Diplomaticos RE's in question in that fiver.  I need to confirm your address though (been too long since I sent you something!) -PM Inbound!

14 hours ago, dvickery said:

Have always liked dip#4's & #5's ( from '99 to about '10 I must have purchased 12 or 15 boxes )... and still open up a box from time to time .

97's & 98's are smoking well .

derrek

Fancy selling a couple?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ChanceSchmerr said:

i) I know you're hankering to try these fat, 54 RG Short Robustos like I am :rolleyes:
ii) Much to my Chagrin, a few of them actually taste good. (Still doesn't mean I'm buying them up)
iii) I'm honestly curious at your take on the taste of a few of them, to see if they jive with my thoughts (As I know your thoughts on the size already pretty much mirrors mine)

I'll Include one of the Diplomaticos RE's in question in that fiver.  I need to confirm your address though (been too long since I sent you something!) -PM Inbound!

I think you, and perhaps Keith also sent me PL or Bolivar Robusto of some sorts some years ago! Frankly, from what I can recall, that cigar had a rather pronounced citrus flavor (from what I can remember) and I enjoyed that cigar...

I think all cigars represent a gamble on quality, meaning a good to great smoking experience. There is no need then to pay double or triple for untested cigars, believing that overall they are no better than what I am buying and smoking currently. To each his own...

Friends like you keep me a little in the loop! Well, a little more than I would myself! Thanks mate. -Ray

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChanceSchmerr said:

A fascinating study in psychology, Pig rails against RE's and people want to send them to him.

You know what I hate?  Cohibas.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

if they ever decide to make an LE/RE under 40 RG im in ( I know I know wishful thinking) but hey.. you never know styles always go in and out of fashion (im more of the out of fashion myself) so hopefully one day the small RG makes a "big" return

• Like 1