Made Mistake and Humidity Again

Which rh% at 70 F  

83 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I could bet you received a PM from PigFish...

In my experience (and I've tried varying levels of temp and rH for CCs and NCs) NCs can be stored at the same rH as CCs.  I store all of my cigars between 60 and 62 rH with temperature in the 66F-70F

Yeah mate, I get back what I pitch believe me! Have at it... -LOL I get my rotation and turn as target as well, sometimes it is not even well intentioned... but I pretty much ask for that as well! No

I resisted and ignored the poll...! Sorry!

I store at 60rH and 70F. Shhh.... (Its a secret!!!)

-the Pig

I cannot vote from my phone but setting are the same, 60rH and 70F give or take 1 from each.
  • Like 1

I have a simple setup, the temperature is around that figure...definitely less than 70°F. My experience has to do with my taste preferences. I would guess that I aim to have my cigars at around 9 to 12% moisture content, probably closer to 9%. 

For me, drier conditions (for Habanos cigars) can lead to more flavour and better smoke output with less draw.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I have a simple setup, the temperature is around that figure...definitely less than 70°F. My experience has to do with my taste preferences. I would guess that I aim to have my cigars at around 9 to 12% moisture content, probably closer to 9%. 

For me, drier conditions (for Habanos cigars) can lead to more flavour and better smoke output with less draw.

I understood that you like it drier. I think drier taste gives more spice and more intense flavors. And wetter cigar gives more creamier and sweeter taste. What are your opinions about this?

5 minutes ago, agulerer said:

I understood that you like it drier. I think drier taste gives more spice and more intense flavors. And wetter cigar gives more creamier and sweeter taste. What are your opinions about this?

My thoughts on this are that those varying flavours are dependant on blends and not necessarily storage conditions. I assure you, I am a stickler for creamy, sweeter profiled cigars.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JohnS said:

My thoughts on this are that those varying flavours are dependant on blends and not necessarily storage conditions. I assure you, I am a stickler for creamy, sweeter profiled cigars.

I think you tried higher rh. What was your experience at higher rh?

Yes, I have tried higher rh. My experience is not out of the ordinary for members of this forum. In summary, it's better for Non-Cuban cigars, but because I live in a higher humidity area of the world, I've found that, at times, high ambient humidity, especially during warmer months, has meant that my Habanos cigars can draw moisture easily and become bitter and tarry to various degrees. Hence, one of the reasons why I favour a lower rh.

• Like 1

In my experience (and I've tried varying levels of temp and rH for CCs and NCs) NCs can be stored at the same rH as CCs.  I store all of my cigars between 60 and 62 rH with temperature in the 66F-70F range.  I used to keep my NCs around 68rH, but they smoke better and taste better when stored closer to 60rH.  There's also no need to dry box when storage conditions are closer to 60rH.        

• Like 4

On September 12, 2016 at 10:32 PM, PigFish said:

I resisted and ignored the poll...! Sorry!

I store at 60rH and 70F. Shhh.... (Its a secret!!!)

-the Pig

Piggy hope everything is wonderfull in pig land!

Question (sorry for the off topic) :

Do you have a thread where i could ask some well intentioned smart ass questions? 

Thanks

The Drac  :-)

• Like 1

On September 12, 2016 at 9:34 PM, agulerer said:

I found that I did only poll with a lot of numbers without any temperature. So ı started again. Please vote :) 

I wouldn't know about NCs, so I can't vote as that field is required.

4 hours ago, agulerer said:

I tried 65 for Nicaraguans but it was strong. Is it because 65 rh or other thing? For people who choose higher humidity than cubans, why do you go with higher like 67-68 rh?

IIRC, based on posts I have read through, the rH is all about getting the moisture content in the cigar to your liking. Some folks like them 60-62%,some folks wetter and some drier. To each their own. I believe the theory is that water dilutes the flavor but you do not want it so dry that your wrapper cracks and falls apart. If you think about it, that may be why your NC was too strong. You removed the water thereby concentrating the flavor. Makes sense to me. It's like reducing a sauce. 

You can experiment easily with dry boxing. I have tried it on the last two cigars I smoked and it had a dramatic impact on flavor and the burn. Run some experiments yourself and see what you like. You can store them at any rH that is feasible and then dry box to get it down where you like to smoke them. @Ethernut recommended dry boxing until the band slides a bit. That is a pretty good reference point to get started.

There really isn't a magic number.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MahDooRow said:

In my experience (and I've tried varying levels of temp and rH for CCs and NCs) NCs can be stored at the same rH as CCs.  I store all of my cigars between 60 and 62 rH with temperature in the 66F-70F range.  I used to keep my NCs around 68rH, but they smoke better and taste better when stored closer to 60rH.  There's also no need to dry box when storage conditions are closer to 60rH.        

I am working on getting my wineador down to 60-62% before I "release the hounds" from the desktop humidor stored in the wino. Once we turn the heat on for the winter, my temps will level out and stay near 70 deg. Right now I am between 64-65% rH and 62-66 deg F.