Made Mistake and Humidity Again

Which rh% at 70 F  

83 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, vladdraq said:

Piggy hope everything is wonderfull in pig land!

Question (sorry for the off topic) :

Do you have a thread where i could ask some well intentioned smart ass questions? 

Thanks

The Drac  :-)

Yeah mate, I get back what I pitch believe me! Have at it... -LOL I get my rotation and turn as target as well, sometimes it is not even well intentioned... but I pretty much ask for that as well! No pity required!

I like a movie, Ronin. There is a line in the movie (I am paraphrasing) "You're either part of the solution, or you're part of the problem, or just part of the landscape." I am typically not part of the landscape!

Pig land is okay today. The doc changed some of my meds and I appear to be on the mend! -Piggy

• Like 4

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I could bet you received a PM from PigFish...

In my experience (and I've tried varying levels of temp and rH for CCs and NCs) NCs can be stored at the same rH as CCs.  I store all of my cigars between 60 and 62 rH with temperature in the 66F-70F

Yeah mate, I get back what I pitch believe me! Have at it... -LOL I get my rotation and turn as target as well, sometimes it is not even well intentioned... but I pretty much ask for that as well! No

2 hours ago, Hurltim said:

IIRC, based on posts I have read through, the rH is all about getting the moisture content in the cigar to your liking. Some folks like them 60-62%,some folks wetter and some drier. To each their own. I believe the theory is that water dilutes the flavor but you do not want it so dry that your wrapper cracks and falls apart. If you think about it, that may be why your NC was too strong. You removed the water thereby concentrating the flavor. Makes sense to me. It's like reducing a sauce. 

You can experiment easily with dry boxing. I have tried it on the last two cigars I smoked and it had a dramatic impact on flavor and the burn. Run some experiments yourself and see what you like. You can store them at any rH that is feasible and then dry box to get it down where you like to smoke them. @Ethernut recommended dry boxing until the band slides a bit. That is a pretty good reference point to get started.

There really isn't a magic number.

This is from Boveda. I contacted with them and they told me 

Update for Case 4511 - "Your suggestion"

You can determine the best RH level for a cigar wrapper (or any organic material) by performing a moisture isotherm analysis. We don't have any public studies to provide you with.

Although 70% relative humidity is a good average for all cigars, studies show that certain cigars are best and reveal their peak taste and character when equilibrated and stored at a specific humidity level between 60% RH and 72% RH—as dictated by the characteristics of the cigar’s blend and primarily the cigar’s wrapper. Cuban cigars are best at 60-65% RH; cigars with a Cameroon wrapper are best at 70-72%; Nicaragua, 68-70%; cigars with a Dominican wrapper, such as the Fuente Fuente OpusX are best at 60-65%; cigars with a Connecticut Shade wrapper will not be affected between 65-72% RH.

5 hours ago, agulerer said:

So you can write your rh% values here 

Store at 65%RH in a big box, Move cigars to a desktop kept at 60%RH for smoking.

15 minutes ago, agulerer said:

This is from Boveda. I contacted with them and they told me 

Update for Case 4511 - "Your suggestion"

You can determine the best RH level for a cigar wrapper (or any organic material) by performing a moisture isotherm analysis. We don't have any public studies to provide you with.

Although 70% relative humidity is a good average for all cigars, studies show that certain cigars are best and reveal their peak taste and character when equilibrated and stored at a specific humidity level between 60% RH and 72% RH—as dictated by the characteristics of the cigar’s blend and primarily the cigar’s wrapper. Cuban cigars are best at 60-65% RH; cigars with a Cameroon wrapper are best at 70-72%; Nicaragua, 68-70%; cigars with a Dominican wrapper, such as the Fuente Fuente OpusX are best at 60-65%; cigars with a Connecticut Shade wrapper will not be affected between 65-72% RH.

There you go! NO MAGIC NUMBER. :)

• Like 1

I think there is a business opportunity here for you Ray. I count 4 separate rH ranges. I think he should have you build 4 perfectly controlled humidors so he can keep them all perfectly humidifed as per.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PigFish said:

Yeah mate, I get back what I pitch believe me! Have at it... -LOL I get my rotation and turn as target as well, sometimes it is not even well intentioned... but I pretty much ask for that as well! No pity required!

I like a movie, Ronin. There is a line in the movie (I am paraphrasing) "You're either part of the solution, or you're part of the problem, or just part of the landscape." I am typically not part of the landscape!

Pig land is okay today. The doc changed some of my meds and I appear to be on the mend! -Piggy

Ronin is one of my favorite of all time. A true classic! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hurltim said:

I think there is a business opportunity here for you Ray. I count 4 separate rH ranges. I think he should have you build 4 perfectly controlled humidors so he can keep them all perfectly humidifed as per.

My gut feeling here, is that all these calls are made collect!

-the Pig

• Like 1

my 2 cents...I've fouND 67-70 degrees and  68-70 rh to be the sweet spot for me. again and again I've found that 30-60 days rest in these conditions bring out a softer, more flavourful smoke than right off the truck. another month...even more so.no burn issues...no draw isues (the odd one of course). my ra sccs have been resting about 45 days...they are really settling down and getting tastier! like i said this happens pretty consistently for me...anyone else?

9 hours ago, Dude said:

my 2 cents...I've fouND 67-70 degrees and  68-70 rh to be the sweet spot for me. again and again I've found that 30-60 days rest in these conditions bring out a softer, more flavourful smoke than right off the truck. another month...even more so.no burn issues...no draw isues (the odd one of course). my ra sccs have been resting about 45 days...they are really settling down and getting tastier! like i said this happens pretty consistently for me...anyone else?

68-70 for Cubans or Non Cubans?

10 hours ago, Dude said:

While I was talking with Thomas from Davidoff Geneva(oldest Davidoff shop :) ) , he told me higher rh% will give better aroma and more subtle notes and he said 6-8 weeks are needed for cigars to acclitimase humidity. And I learned that Zino Davidoff was selling Cubans and other cigars at 72 rh%. He said less rh% will more spicy and linear smoke but less burn problem. 

On the other hand JJ Fox (225 years old shop :) ) keeps their cigars at 65 rh and 65 F. They said better experience at 65 rh and 65 F.

I will experience those. It is matter of personal taste. And after talking with a lot of people, I saw that there is no magic or correct number. There is 60-75 rh% range for cigars and you should go which you like. The only thing is 6-8 weeks is needed for cigars to acclitimase humidity and than you can smoke. 

Not to add any fuel to the fire but this has been my experience. I live in a rather tropical climate and prefer during the warm months to take my sticks and leave them in a ziplock bag slightly open on the back patio where temps reach the mid 90s during the day. During the cooler months I like to take the sticks, wrap them in a moist towel, and set them on the counter in the bathroom during warm showers. I believe that returning the sticks to temps and moisture levels suitable for growing tobacco is the only true way to enjoy a smoke. But hey I'm purist, what can say?B)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Turbo56 said:

Not to add any fuel to the fire but this has been my experience. I live in a rather tropical climate and prefer during the warm months to take my sticks and leave them in a ziplock bag slightly open on the back patio where temps reach the mid 90s during the day. During the cooler months I like to take the sticks, wrap them in a moist towel, and set them on the counter in the bathroom during warm showers. I believe that returning the sticks to temps and moisture levels suitable for growing tobacco is the only true way to enjoy a smoke. But hey I'm purist, what can say?B)

So your rh% and temp are more than 75 right?

• 3 weeks later...
After time, I tested 62 rh, 65 rh and 69 rh with Hoyo Epi 2 and Upmann Half Corona and  I am happy and like with 69 rh the most. 

Well done!!! Nobody is a better judge of what you like than you :)

• Like 2

On 9/16/2016 at 4:23 PM, MahDooRow said:

In my experience (and I've tried varying levels of temp and rH for CCs and NCs) NCs can be stored at the same rH as CCs. I store all of my cigars between 60 and 62 rH with temperature in the 66F-70F range. I used to keep my NCs around 68rH, but they smoke better and taste better when stored closer to 60rH. There's also no need to dry box when storage conditions are closer to 60rH.

Can I ask you how you get the humidity down that low? It's my understanding that I would need Boveda that are lower than 60 in order to get there. What should I buy to get it there? 

39 minutes ago, wd123 said:

Can I ask you how you get the humidity down that low? It's my understanding that I would need Boveda that are lower than 60 in order to get there. What should I buy to get it there? 

To reduce my rH level from 65rH to 60rH I removed the HCM beads and allowed the wineador to gradually "dry out".  I also reduced the moisture content of the HCM beads to 60% before reinserting them into the wineador.       

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PigFish said:

I dropped my 60rH and 70F cigar in a pile of 100rH and 100F horse dung yesterday and it was perfect! It brought the barnyard smell to a whole new level...

-the Pig

You're on the cutting edge of best practices.  :idea:  It's good to know that everything is "rainbows and unicorns" in Pig land.      

13 minutes ago, MahDooRow said:

You're on the cutting edge of best practices.  :idea:  It's good to know that everything is "rainbows and unicorns" in Pig land.      

... are you insane? Unicorn droppings are 59rH and 120F. And that horn, makes sudden stops a real pain in the ass!

I will never own another F'ing unicorn, even the pastel pink ones are nasty as hell!!! -Piggy

• Like 2

Ray...

I keep my sticks at 45% rh. I go outside to smoke at 80%rh.

I don't understand why I have a problem. Tell me how to fix this Ray. I don't want to experiment. I just want you to tell me what to do Ray.