Elie Blue humidors... anyone?

Funkadelic

Hi folks,

Been stalking these humidors for a while but haven't had the chance to see one in person nor do I know any actual owners and their opinions.

Any Elie Bleu users out there? What's your opinion?

Been considering the 75ct Medailles/Medals. :)

Thanks!

Let me be honest, and highly opinionated, in saying the following; with the disclaimer of; I like nice things that are pretty too, and anyone that does in fact already own one is totally cool with me and whatever, but... only a maniac would buy a humidor such as this.

• Like 3

Just a box to store cigars in, a box that allows RH and temp to fluctuate in accordance to the ambient conditions - you have slight control of the RH but no control of temp.

Beautiful looking though.

Picked up a EB desktop humidor, maple and bubinga, off Ebay a couple of years back. The humidor appeared to have taken a bad tumble and had some significant damage to the box itself and the finish. I believe I paid ~$75 for it, complete with original EB hygrometer and humidification unit. My thought was even if this humidor is firewood, I could double my money in the components alone.

Turns out it was in better shape than I expected. I was able to retrue and secure the box and lid with minimal effort. Using some leftover epoxy from another job, I touched up the damaged finish to the point I have to really look at the unit to see the telltale signs of abuse. Hygrometer is ~2% high for rH as compared to the electronic units I have rotated through the box as well, but it is consistent.

As mentioned earlier, this is not the type of unit for any sort of aging. I use it exclusively for dryboxing from my walk-in which is higher humidity than I prefer for smoking (65/65 in the walk-in versus 58% rH for the EB).

Bottom-line: Nicely constructed units, but not a very practical or cost-effective purchase at full retail.

I have one. It's a small Matte Mahogany, probably the least expensive they make. I got it for a very good price in 2003 from the big cigar retailer out of Philadelphia. It holds about 2 boxes of big cigars.

It was nowhere near the cost of the lacquer jobs they make but is a fine piece of work none the less. I love it.

post-1876-0-64534300-1463682031_thumb.jppost-1876-0-23150600-1463682034_thumb.jppost-1876-0-15465200-1463682037_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Wow, some really really nice examples here. Why all the hate? smile.png

The fancy ones get crazy expensive. Beautiful things but who spends thousands on a Desk top.

• Like 1

Some people spend what others consider to be too much on any type of item. For the people buying them obviously the price is acceptable and maybe not even a factor. There will be many people who thinks what we pay for a good cigar is crazy but yet we do it.

Spending is relative... right? To some thousands on a desktop is crazy... others not so much...