Vienna Airport Duty Free humidor closure.

A word of warning. Passing through for the first time this year I found Vienna airport has closed its lovely large walk in humidor and replaced it with a small cabinet with a few boxes of Davidoffs and 1 packet of mangy looking 3 CoRos. Was told that cigars just don't sell anymore there. Was planing to pick up a box to smoke on my business trip to India, I now find myself stuck here cigarless, arghhhhh!!!

Buying there is stupid anyway, less than one hour drive to the czech border, a lot cheaper there.

Come on - when you're on a stopover, you don't have time to drive two hours, go through security, et cetera

• Like 3

Also in Japan at Narita airport. They had a large almost huge humidor well stocked with Cohibas and all the

the other main brands from Cuba. I asked one of the women who works there and she told me

they got rid of the Cubans about a year before. I was there last year at the airport heading

to Tokyo and many other cities in Japan. What they had in place of the large humidor was a

stinky small cabinet with Davidoffs which I can get in my home town a dime a dozen.

I was very upset not to be able to load up before I got on the plane and head

back to the states. Sucks bigtime.

I have a feeling this will be a coming trend over the next few years...

There is a big push by the WHO to elimate Duty Free Tobacco at airports.

This poses a potential big problem for Habanos with 26% of it's sales coming from Duty Free.

• Like 1

This poses a potential big problem for Habanos with 26% of it's sales coming from Duty Free.

If the embargo is lifted however, they will probably recoup those sales in the US no?

But they have no problem with booze? The WHO are a bunch of corrupt hypocrites posing as experts, but are really just a political arm of the left wing parties of the world. They will soon be trying to outlaw exercising because breathing too much is contributing to global warning.

Makes me think of an ad during the super bowl last night that tried to shame people into not running their water while they brush their teeth. The ad had poor people and rough looking children scrambling to drink the "wasted" water. Then at the end tried to claim many poor around the world get less than 4 cups of water per week...

How in God's green earth does my water consumption in the USA effect someone in Africa or the middle east being oppressed by heartless murderers?

Anyway, if the cigars sold in the airports they would still be there. Because of cigarettes all tobacco has been demonized to the point of oblivion. I truly think in my lifetime tobacco products will be banned around most of the world. The lobby and the businesses are shells of themselves and have little to no political power anymore. The clock is ticking and I am stocking up.

It's ironic, Tobacco sales started airport duty free shopping in the first place.

The first airport duty free was at Shannon airport in Ireland.

Due to currency restrictions at the end of WWII, a cigar retailer here was unable to get US dollars in order to buy havana cigars.

He sold cigarettes to US servicemen, stopping off at Shannon, on their way back to the US after the war, in order to get the dollars.

He rang up the tax office here to find out what tax he should be applying on cigarettes sold here but to be consumed outside Ireland. He was told there was no duty payable.

Thus airport duty free,

That retailer was Freddie Fox, Rob Fox's grandfather.

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

I have a feeling this will be a coming trend over the next few years...

You wouldn't bother getting tobacco duty free at an Australian Airport.

I don't travel enough but it'd be great if someone can start a new topic to get an update of which airports do have decent duty free habanos stocks.

Although I very rarely buy from an airport duty free (once stung, twice shy), it would be a shame if the closure of Duty Free humidors was to become widespread. I find browsing the humidor an easier way to pass the time during a connection than walking through the endless aisles of perfume and over-priced chocolate.

There was a walk in cigar humidor in Dublin airport until about 5 years ago. Then the display ban came in here and it was gone. There are a few boxes of monte and packs of Cohiba for sale but they cannot be displayed so they don't sell.

Came through Delhi airport in my way home from India on this trip and was saddened to see the situation there also. 18 months ago they had a huge selection of Cubans, with all the usuall standards plus some LE's and a bit of aged stock. Now they only had 4 cabs of sickly looking BBF's a couple of equally unpleasent mag 46 boxes and a few different Montes. Is this a trend?