NHL Playoffs

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BLACKHAWKS

I've played hockey, too, so I get what you're saying. But ultimately it comes down to the fact that these guys get paid a ridiculous amount of money to play a game. Nobody can realistically expect a

Hawks Win! 11 more to go!

He did. Getting nervous. Afraid we may have been built for more of a wide open regular season and not a tightened up post season.

I completely agree with this, unfortunately. The Rangers are struggling to get quality shots on Holtby. The Caps are doing a great job forcing everything wide and the Rangers aren't built to crash the net.

I live in the DC area; it is doubly hard to watch this go on surrounded by caps fans :) Obviously game 4 is huge

• Like 1

CRAWFORD SHUT OUT BLACKHAWKS bring it on game 4

I think he shut out the Wild. LOL

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I completely agree with this, unfortunately. The Rangers are struggling to get quality shots on Holtby. The Caps are doing a great job forcing everything wide and the Rangers aren't built to crash the net.

I live in the DC area; it is doubly hard to watch this go on surrounded by caps fans smile.png Obviously game 4 is huge

The Rangers are a team built around the rush,

And that gets us tons of even strength goals... At

least it did. When they sit and pass it around confined in the zone, a la PP, They don't score. Gotta move around more on the PP and make our speed work for us in that aspect. We miss Zucc as he provided so much on the rush with his speed and passing vision.

• Like 1

There's a lot of Babcock love on this thread. But I think a lot of it is hyped by the hockey writers in general... and everyone knows the hockey world largely revolves around Toronto. Babcock has been a professional coach since 2002. Look at the results:

International:

2004 World Championships - Team Canada, Gold medal

2010 Winter Olympics - Team Canada, Gold medal

20104 Winter Olympics - Team Canada, Gold medal

Pretty awesome so far. Looks like Babcock can coach the crap out of an All-Star roster.

Now on the NHL:

2002-2003: with Anaheim, lost Stanley Cup in 7 games to NJ

2003-2004: with Anaheim, failed to make the post season

2004-2005: lock out

2005-2006: with Detroit (to the end), bounced in the 1st round in 6 games to EDM

2006-2007: bounced in 3rd round in 6 games to ANA

2007-2008: won Stanley Cup in 6 games vs. PIT

2008-2009: lost Stanley Cup in 7 games vs. PIT

2009-2010: bounced in 2nd round in 5 games to SJ

2010-2011: bounced in 2nd round in 7 games to SJ

2011-2012: bounced in 1st round in 5 games to NSH

2012-2013: bounced in 2nd round in 7 games to CHI (after being up 3-1, I might add)

2013-2014: bounced in 1st round in 5 games to BOS

2014-2015: bounced in 1st round in 7 games to TB

So I absolutely agree that Babcock can coach Team Canada like it's nobody's business. He may have the highest winning percentage of any active coach in the NHL, but those are largely regular season wins - when it's the post season that matters the most.

In the last 13 years he has 1 Stanley Cup, and he's been to the finals 3 times. That's pretty good... but the last appearance was 7 seasons ago. In the last 6 years Detroit hasn't once made it out of the 2nd round. Hmm...

There were a lot of retirements after that 2008 Cup run. Shanahan retired in 2009, Chelios retired in 2010, Hasek and Rafalski retired in 2011, and Lidstrom and Holmstrom retired in 2012. There were other retirements, I'm sure, but the point being that most of the great things Babcock did were when he had a tenured/veteran team full of future Hall of Famers. (I.e. the same reason he does well with Team Canada.) In the last 6 years, with a much younger/inexperienced team he has been utterly incapable of producing expected results.

Sure, sure... there are some sour grapes here today. I can admit that. And extending the playoff appearance streak is cool... but it's not like it's that hard to make the post season. Hell, over half the league goes. So you'd have to have a pretty crappy team to not even qualify for the post season.

Babcock needs to go find a tenured/veteran team that needs that last push to get them over the top. He is incapable (clearly) of coaching a younger/inexperienced coach. Detroit needs to ditch Babcock and bring on Jeff Blashill from Grand Rapids - he's been with the Griffins since 2012, he knows the system, he knows the GM, he knows the prospects, and he won the Calder Cup in 2013 with half of the current Detroit Red Wings roster.

Let the post-Babcock era begin!

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

Stats look pretty good to me for what he had.. did you honestly feel that Detroit was a cup winning team this year?

But please by all means let him go so the Devils can pick him up

Shero and Babcock with possibly Stevens and Oates as assistants... would be nice

The Rangers are a team built around the rush,

And that gets us tons of even strength goals... At

least it did. When they sit and pass it around confined in the zone, a la PP, They don't score. Gotta move around more on the PP and make our speed work for us in that aspect. We miss Zucc as he provided so much on the rush with his speed and passing vision.

Zuc is a big loss for sure. Hate to admit it but game 4 just may determine this series.

Stats look pretty good to me for what he had.. did you honestly feel that Detroit was a cup winning team this year?

But please by all means let him go so the Devils can pick him up

Shero and Babcock with possibly Stevens and Oates as assistants... would be nice

Whether I think Detroit was or wasn't a Cup winning team this year is pretty moot at this point. smile.png And I'm not throwing Babcock from the train simply because Detroit hasn't won a Cup in 8 years or even been to the finals in 7 years. I'm throwing him from the train because he's been completely incapable of getting this team out of the 1st or 2nd rounds for 6 consecutive seasons. In 3 of those 6 seasons the round was over in 5 games. In 1 of those 6 seasons the Wings were up 3-1 before Chicago came back and won the series. So it's not even the fact that they're not getting out of the 2nd round - it's that they've been showing terrible efforts in those losses. That matters more. And that is simply not acceptable.

Fact of the matter is that the Wings were flying high for the first 5 months of this season, probably never really had a shot of contending for 1st in the East, but certainly had a great chance of securing the #2 spot in the division. And then March happened. As it turned out, Detroit only managed to hang on to the #3 spot in the division (and #6 in the East) by a single point... after having been up on that first wildcard spot by something like 16 points at the beginning of March. Babcock had no answer for the tailspin that Detroit was in during March. IMO, he was able to get the youngish Red Wings team rolling through the season pretty well, but the moment any serious challenges were encountered he wasn't able to make corrections. The only thing that stopped that downward spiral was the playoffs - if Detroit hadn't done so well in the earlier part of the season and built up such a huge cushion over those wildcard spots, it's entirely possible Detroit would have missed the playoffs altogether... for the first time in 24 years. Because Babcock.

Do I think Babcock is the worst coach in the league? No. Not by a mile. Do I think it's time for a change behind the bench in Motown? Yep, I absolutely do.

Babcock needs to go to a more experienced/tenured team who just needs that last oomph to get them over the hump. I really don't think the Devils would qualify. biggrin.png

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

• Like 1