NHL Playoffs

Well, Detroit fully on choked tonight. Had a stranglehold on the series with 5 mins to go in regulation... and end up losing in OT. Terrible. Babcock needs to go. He's lost the team. The Wings need a coach who can instill a killer instinct... no more of this taking your skate off the throat of a defeated team crap. Just plain terrible. Series is now knotted at 2s, but Tampa has all the momentum going back to their barn.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BLACKHAWKS

I've played hockey, too, so I get what you're saying. But ultimately it comes down to the fact that these guys get paid a ridiculous amount of money to play a game. Nobody can realistically expect a

Hawks Win! 11 more to go!

Well, Detroit fully on choked tonight. Had a stranglehold on the series with 5 mins to go in regulation... and end up losing in OT. Terrible. Babcock needs to go. He's lost the team. The Wings need a coach who can instill a killer instinct... no more of this taking your skate off the throat of a defeated team crap. Just plain terrible. Series is now knotted at 2s, but Tampa has all the momentum going back to their barn.

I'm disgusted!

Careful what you wish for. Babcock is a good coach and Tampa is a good hockey club who won't be an easy out.

Name a coach you would want with better credentials for a replacement. Scotty's not coming back. haha

It's the playoffs, keep the faith. It's not over.

• Like 1

Careful what you wish for. Babcock is a good coach and Tampa is a good hockey club who won't be an easy out.

Name a coach you would want with better credentials for a replacement. Scotty's not coming back. haha

It's the playoffs, keep the faith. It's not over.

What has Babcock done with the team since 2009? He's clearly a capable coach (Olympic gold, etc.), but I think most NHL coaches have shelf lives and his has expired (he's been with Detroit sice 2005 - that's a looong time.). It's obvious the team is no longer inspired by him. A new perspective might help get the team back on track. I think Jeff Blashill would be the most likely candidate (Griffin's head coach for the last 3 seasons). He knows the Detroit system and he's certainly been mentored by Babcock, but he would provide a different perspective.

I would prefer that Detroit make a change and somehow kept Babcock from going to another NHL team (that's me having my cake and eating it, too), but that's not going to happen. So, as long as Babcock goes I will be happy.

Not trying to stir up **** but criticizing the coach is really easy from the couch...

I played hockey for years its a game of momentum. Sometimes you play your heart out and the other team just finds a way to win. Give credit to Tampa Bay they found a way to get it done especially after being frustrated for 5 periods of being shut out. Babcock is one of the best in the league.

• Like 1

I've been watching the Wings for nearly 25 years. I've seen a lot in that time span with new and old guys not doing their job correctly. Last nights loss ranks probably at the top of the list. I just hope the Wings will respond on Saturday. It's not going to be easy.

Babcock was too comfortable on the bench. I saw to many times where the camera was on him and caught him laughing. It rubbed off on to the players. They too got comfortable. Last time I checked, a hockey game is 60 minutes. But it's not solely on him. I read the Detroit News every morning, and from what I read, I don't think Babcock will be back. He would have been signed already if he was. That's how Illitch & Holland operate. They never wait until the final hour, especially with a Coach.

Not trying to stir up **** but criticizing the coach is really easy from the couch...

I played hockey for years its a game of momentum. Sometimes you play your heart out and the other team just finds a way to win. Give credit to Tampa Bay they found a way to get it done especially after being frustrated for 5 periods of being shut out. Babcock is one of the best in the league.

I've played hockey, too, so I get what you're saying. But ultimately it comes down to the fact that these guys get paid a ridiculous amount of money to play a game. Nobody can realistically expect a team to be perfect or win every game, but there's a lot going on with Detroit that is absolutely controllable. It's not about losing the game, it's about the manner in which the game was lost. Bounces happen, luck happens, pooh happens. A team can do everything right, but not get the fortuitous bounce that makes the difference in the game. But that's not what happened last night in Detroit. Not at all. Detroit had many chances to get the game firmly in hand (there's really no reason it couldn't have been 5-0 with 5 mins to go in the 3rd), but they didn't. And then the first TB goal happens. Rather than rally the troops and fight hard to squash the TB momentum, Detroit instead - very predictably I might add - tightens up, stops fighting, and shrinks into a defensive shell that was full of holes. 1:17 later and the game is tied up.

It might not vex me so much if this had been the first time the Wings did something like that. But it's not. Far from it. The Wings have done this a lot in the last 2-3 months. And a lot in the last couple of seasons. They're a fragile team. They can play lights out when their netminder is hot, but when things get shaky they fall to pieces. It will be interesting to see how they respond on Saturday.

As for Babcock being a good coach, I do agree with that. I think, though, he's not as effective in Detroit as he once was. He's clearly very effective at coaching tenured/veteran teams (like Detroit from 2005 when he started to 2012 when Lidstrom retired) and he's effective coaching a team full of super-talented rock stars (Team Canada in the Olympics), but I think he's very challenged when it comes to coaching young/inexperienced teams. When Detroit bascially became the Grand Rapids Griffins and things weren't going so well, I figured it was just a case of rebuilding on the fly - eventually the team would be back to normal. But the more I watch Babcock (and we watch every single Wings game each season), the more I'm convinced that the Wings need a different coach. that's not to say Babcock is a bad coach in general. Just saying that he's no longer the right fit for Detroit. I think Holland knows that. I think Babcock knows that, too.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

• Like 3

If Detroit doesn't want Babs anymore, there's a certain team (cough-Leafs-cough) up the 401 that would love to have him help rebuild.

I was watching the TB-DET game 4 as well and Wings were in total control up until that 2-1 goal gave the Lightning life and eventually the OT win. Bolts will go on to win this series now I believe.

I'm hoping the Wild can regroup in St Louis tonight after that 6-1 loss at home. Duuuuuuby.

I think the Red Wings standard is a bit higher than than the Leafs'. No offense... just sayin'. LOL wink.png

• Like 2

You guys don't even know what it's like to have a terrible, or even an average coach.

Coaches in my era.

Jacques Demers- Sucked

Bryan Murray- Sucked

Scotty Bowman- A+.

Dave Lewis- Average

Helluva response by Detroit. 4-0 shutout? A second shutout by Mrazek? Most epic! Let's hope the Wings finish these Tampa mofos on Monday. #Mrazekisastud

• Like 1

As I said peter, have fai

The name is Greg. But I get your point. :)