Why are there caps on cigars?

So i was wondering, if the foot can be open, why can't a head be open? Why do all cigars have caps on them? I have experienced the rolling process and a significant amount of time goes into putting a cap on, then we just cut it off and throw it away, so why is it there?

Anyone have any good reasons for this madness?

• Like 1

Doesn't it keep the wrapper from unravelling? I think it looks better with the cap on. Plus if it didn't have a cap you would have "Cuban cigar experts" saying you were smoking the wrong end. :jester:

• Like 1

Doesn't it keep the wrapper from unravelling? I think it looks better with the cap on. Plus if it didn't have a cap you would have "Cuban cigar experts" saying you were smoking the wrong end. :jester:

I guess as long as you don't put the lit end in your mouth, all's good :P

Stop unavelling, cleaner look, nicer presentation, allows for your preference in cut.punch, v, etc..., I've also heard that it helps slow the drying process if they are left out too long, although I'm not sure I believe that.

Aren't Guants pre-cut also?

Ech

Actually I was in Havana when this question was asked of Jose Candia. If I remember correctly, Rob Fox asked it albeit I suspect he had a good hunch of the answer.

The answer given by Jose was that the cap on a cigar retains the aroma/flavour of the cigar by limiting/eliminating air flowing through a cigar.

I had heard this answer before but I cannot recall as to where.

• Like 1

Interesting mr Pres! So by that logic closing the foot is better yet again! And also by that logic it leads me to believe one should never store cigars loose in front of a fan rather in a closed box so as to not loose the aromas. Hmmmm.

Cigars have caps so the head doesn't get cold in the winter.

Actually I was in Havana when this question was asked of Jose Candia. If I remember correctly, Rob Fox asked it albeit I suspect he had a good hunch of the answer.

The answer given by Jose was that the cap on a cigar retains the aroma/flavour of the cigar by limiting/eliminating air flowing through a cigar.

I had heard this answer before but I cannot recall as to where.

OK, why did cigars from '99-'01 have caps then?

:)

The nots and plugs are always near the cap. Go figure. Murphy's law to the rescue

this is actually because of how the cigar is held when it it rolled.

the plugs are the result of a twist or a pinch point in the bunch caused by the thumb when it reaches over the rest of the bunch to hold it. the thumb is about where the band is in the bunch.

of course being that i have never personally rolled a cigar before i am not too sure of this point. however, this is what i have been told by one of the master blenders in Nicaragua when i went to visit. seems plausible to me.