What makes for a bad Monte 4?

I have been fortunate to date in that the Monte 4s I have had, have all been tasty with the expected chocolate flavour being evident. Needless to say, the boxes have come from our host - hq and general stock. Some have required additional aging time, but the final results have been yummy.

So the question is what are the characteristics that define crappy Monte 4s?

Thanks for your help.

Alan

not sure I also buy these from host have a box of PSP chilling out and have just gone through a box

that was marked hq but could of passed for entry level PSP the way these looked / tasted. wonderful, wonderful

smoke.

Well, I think I am qualified to answer this one.

Just threw 11 montes 4s in the garden from a new box I got recently.

They look great, smell great, are constructed perfectly, none are loose or plugged. YOu would choose this box from a walk in humidor based on visuals and smell.

They just all taste like butter and salt and nothing else. Some taste like nothing.

Yep. Plugged, lack of flavor, wind tunnel, plain boring. You'll know when you get one.

They've been called the table wine of Habanos for a good reason.

I think it's also subjective to the ones you've already had.

My first, swiss blind box was decadent and I smoked the whole thing not knowing that the next box I bought was just..... okay.

I'm not saying the 2nd box was bad, plugged or anything, but that first box was like a malt in your mouth and was just excellent. I think the wider the gap between the same cigar can cause some to pass off boxes as bad/horrible.

I think it's also subjective to the ones you've already had.

My first, swiss blind box was decadent and I smoked the whole thing not knowing that the next box I bought was just..... okay.

I'm not saying the 2nd box was bad, plugged or anything, but that first box was like a malt in your mouth and was just excellent. I think the wider the gap between the same cigar can cause some to pass off boxes as bad/horrible.

Good point re gap between the excellent and just ok. I try to avoid making a judgement solely on the comparison with previous examples, it's not easy to do because of the built up expectation, but I do try to find what is good about what I have in hand. Sometimes you just have to declare a cigar a fail and move on though.

Unwrapping or crumbling wrappers right out of the box. I've had this happen with other montes; part of the reason I try to stay with HQ or better. But when it happens to a 4, it breaks my heart. Same with plugs (1) or unstoppable runners (3)...

I have had one - maybe 2 - that were somewhat flavorless - as if the tobacco had had its lifeblood soaked out of it to make tea or something. Butter? I would have died for butter. This was a few years ago, but the memory still lingers... and stings... but nothing recent

OTOH... I have also had the other end of the spectrum... On a road trip a few weeks back, I experienced one that went from mocha java to cocoa to buffalo grass to new mown alfalfa to"essence of cedar forest" to smoky maple syrup to cinammon cappucino to dark euro chocolate with a beautiful tobacco underpinning to finish to what reminded me of barbecued prime rib...I have had a couple come close to this (but this was just blowing me away) Probably the best hour and change I've had behind the wheel in memory. And BTW - I *did* burn my fingertips on this one, and i didn't mind in the least.

When I get one like that... Its worth rolling the dice.

• Like 1

Unwrapping or crumbling wrappers right out of the box. I've had this happen with other montes; part of the reason I try to stay with HQ or better. But when it happens to a 4, it breaks my heart. Same with plugs (1) or unstoppable runners (3)...

I have had one - maybe 2 - that were somewhat flavorless - as if the tobacco had had its lifeblood soaked out of it to make tea or something. Butter? I would have died for butter. This was a few years ago, but the memory still lingers... and stings... but nothing recent

OTOH... I have also had the other end of the spectrum... On a road trip a few weeks back, I experienced one that went from mocha java to cocoa to buffalo grass to new mown alfalfa to"essence of cedar forest" to smoky maple syrup to cinammon cappucino to dark euro chocolate with a beautiful tobacco underpinning to finish to what reminded me of barbecued prime rib...I have had a couple come close to this (but this was just blowing me away) Probably the best hour and change I've had behind the wheel in memory. And BTW - I *did* burn my fingertips on this one, and i didn't mind in the least.

When I get one like that... Its worth rolling the dice.

mocha java to cocoa to buffalo grass to new mown alfalfa to"essence of cedar forest" to smoky maple syrup to cinammon cappucino to dark euro chocolate with a beautiful tobacco underpinning to finish to what reminded me of barbecued prime rib...I

I'm sold!

I have had these experiences with #2 but I have only found the #4 always to be tops.

I've been hit or miss with the box I grabbed from our host. I'm 4 in, 2 were delicious, 1 was so plugged I couldn't smoke it, even after trying to use a paperclip to loosen the draw, and the other was flat and flavorless. Seems to be a hit or miss. When they are on they are amazing, but when they are off its just no saving them.