A Good Bourbon for a Rum Drinker?

polarbear

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mate, you can never go wrong with my two favourites: Bookers Bourbon and or Makers Mark

woodford reserve and knob creek, both run about 30-35$ a bottle

Angel's Envy does it for a few of my friends that are rum lovers.

Balcones Rumble if it's available where you live.

But, but it's not. Unless you live in Texas fuel.gif

Balcones Rumble if it's available where you live.

Its good stuff but its not Bourbon as its mash bill does not fit as bourbon. If you like sweet in bourbon stick with the wheaters, meaning a bourbon made with wheat as the secondary grain in place of rye. Some good examples for a cheap price are Old Weller Antique 107, Old Weller 12, Old Fitzgerald, and Makers Mark. The bourbons with the rye or high tend to exhibit a lot more spice. High corn Bourbons are sweet as well but different.

Balcones Rumble is technically a rum, so it doesn't qualify as a bourbon.

Fokker is the guy who can talk your ear off about bourbon, and has tried more bourbon than most people I know.

If you're coming from rum, I would suggest going for a full-bodied, sweeter bourbon. Something with a low rye content or a wheated bourbon.

Four Roses single barrel

FRSB barrel select from a low rye mashbill- OESF and OESK are good. These are barrel proof, so 120-140 proof, typically.

W.L. Weller 107

W.L. Weller 12 yr.

Baker's- softer than Booker's (not as hot), sweeter as well.

I'm not mentioning stuff that's impossible to get, there are some awesome bourbons that for the profile from the BTAC, PVW and LE Four Roses, etc. that fit the bill as well.

• 2 weeks later...

A few choices from a Kentucky guy:

Very Old Barton Bottled in Bond 100 proof

Heaven Hill 6-year 100 proof(white label) and 90 proof (green label)

Evan Williams Single Barrel (lower proof, very tasty)

Old Forester Signature 100 proof

Old Grand-Dad 114-higher proof and a personal favorite.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Prichard's Double Chocolate, Corner Creek, Eagle Rare, Bastille.

The last is a French bourbon-style whiskey, but is something I often recommend as an introductory bottle. Light, nutty, fruity. Interesting juice.

The rest are affordable, unimposing bourbons.

I dunno if Aldi deliver up that way but get hold of some Four Roses Small Batch or Bakers. Blantons is an honourable mention. If you don't like either ill fly up there and finish the bottle!

I drink more 4 Roses than anything else, closely followed by Dickel no.12 (Tennessee Whiskey) and Elijah Craig. It's hard to wrong with any of these I've listed.

Love Bourbon. Try some of the ryes making their way here too, go wonderful with a smoke.

I second the Blanton's suggestion and greatly recommend the George Dickel No.12 Tennessee Whiskey...I need to get another couple of bottles in case it gets deleted from inventory stocks among the major Liquor stores in Australia.

Mate, you can never go wrong with my two favourites: Bookers Bourbon and or Makers Mark

250px-Bookers.JPGMakersmark.jpg

Mika is right,cannot go wrong.

Bookers defines old school bourbon.

Makers defines wheated bourbon.

Old Weller is a personal favorite.

Pappy van Winkle will cost you a days pay..........for a dram!!!

My ultimate question for the bourbon drinkers what bottle would excite or surprise you if a host suddenly brought it out. Budget would be 150$ or less.

Maybe you can start a new topic with this question. I'd be interested to read the answers!

I would not say that ORVW or PVW is the be-all, end-all of bourbon. However, it is pretty good stuff, and wheated bourbons of that age are pretty uncommon. That makes the flavor profile somewhat unique.

If you're looking for sub $150 and interesting for a bourbon drinker, try these:

Parker's Heritage

Abraham Bowman

BTAC

4R limited edition small batch

With today's market, none of these will be easy to find.

• Like 1