2014 Blind Tasting Competition - THE FINAL RESULTS

2014 Blind Tasting Competition - THE FINAL RESULTS & Cigar No. 5 Reveal

After a delay (sorry fellas) I can finally close the 2014 Blind Tasting competition! I was waiting on a couple of guesses to trickle in after getting back into the office this week, and as you can see, some were yet to be submitted (marked blue)

Nevertheless, this year's event featuring 5 unknown cigars, 60 odd forum members and lasting 5 months has finally concluded, and we can now crown the 2014 Blind Tasting Champion! party.gif

Edwhatever

Congratulations mate! ok.gif

With a 3/5 (60%) hit rate, Ed managed to wrangle the title away from 5 other members on the last cigar. Ed will be forever indebted to the Bolivar Royal Corona (MUR SEP 13) tongue.png

Of course this means that Ed has won the $500 USD cigar credit. Happy shopping mate! biggrin.png

Notable mentions will go out to: smokeinpeace, Fabes, nikosdoc, rob, bigbwalls, Cigarseh, nimorup and Britto. All these valiant members finished one cigar back, with 2/5 successfully identified. Well done! peace.gif

Cigar no. 5 was picked by a reasonable number of you guys (13)! However there was a lot of love for the RASS as no. 5, with 18 guesses coming in. 18 similar tastes being represented there - pretty interesting! Did any of you RASS guessers have a toss up between the BRC and the RASS, or were you pretty certain...? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Hopefully this FOH Blind Tasting 2014 comp has been a bit of fun but informative at the same time. I am glad you all chose to participate this year, and look forward to 2015's event!

Can Ed defend his title? Or will we send another winner ascend into the FOH Hall of Fame? laugh.png

--------

Just recapping the final results and the final table

post-17193-0-46549500-1407464146_thumb.p

Cigar No. 1 - Partagas Serie D No. 4 (POU AGO 13)

Cigar No. 2 - HDM Epicure No. 2 (AME MAR 13)

Cigar No. 3 - Montecristo Open Master (LAG OCT 10)

Cigar No. 4 - R & J Exhibicion No. 4 (POU JUN 13)

Cigar No. 5 - Bolivar Royal Corona (MUR SEP 13)

Congrats Edwhatever!!! Nicely done!

I was one who deliberated for several moments whether to guess BRC or RASS. I've only ever smoked one BRC prior to this contest so wasn't too familiar with the profile. What pushed me over to the RASS as my guess was the gingerbread I tasted in the second and last third. I usually only get that gingerbread/molasses with RA (and sometimes LGC) so after much deliberation I settled on RASS.

I also should have trusted my gut with cigar #3 which I was going to guess Monte Open (cuz it tasted like hot garbage), but didn't realize Rob would be that cruel. Now I know better!

All in all this was quite a fun competition and I look forward to doing it again next year!

Thanks Rob for hosting it & Thanks Alastair for the leg work getting us results & and thanks to all the hands that removed the bands so carefully!

Well done Edward clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Congrats mate and congrats to everyone who participated! Always challenging and fun.

Big thanks for Alastair for running this.....perfectly done thumbsup.gif

And a big thank you to Lisa for prepping each and every package spotlight.gif

Well done Edward clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Congrats mate and congrats to everyone who participated! Always challenging and fun.

Big thanks for Alastair for running this.....perfectly done thumbsup.gif

And a big thank you to Lisa for prepping each and every package spotlight.gif

Great job, Ed.

Hope you sprung for a manicure for Lise after, Rob. Had to be tough on the nails!

Congratulations to the winner!

I'd make a suggestion about what to spend the winnings on, but it seems that I have the tastes of a table...

Any prize for perfect flop 2 years running? :lol:

Thanks to the whole crew for setting it up!

Well done Edward!

I guessed RASS but didn't even consider it could be a bolivar RC as I have not picked up much of a woody character from these in the past. Loved this cigar though (my second favourite after the D4).

Thanks to all the team for putting this together, I had a blast.

Looks like I get the wooden spoon... 0/5 right.

Congrats Ed!

0/5! The final cigar to me was incredible, just pure cohiba even on the cold draw and on the nose, in fact it was the most Cohibay Cohiba I've never had!

Glad t have taken part in this, super fun, plus now I can simply buy BRC instead of corp and save me the cash! Bolívar would have been the last cigar I would have even chosen for #5, crazy :D

Thanks Rob, Alastair and all the gang for setting up and running!

• Like 2

Congrats, Ed!

I also want to say thanks to Alastair for running such a fun event. I learned quite a bit along the way. Also, thanks to Rob for giving us this fantastic opportunity! Well done, guys!

Glad I was able to avoid the goose egg with the final cigar. Twice in the first three cigars, I had narrowed my choice down to two and picked wrong both times. On the fourth cigar, I simply had the wrong vitola.

Can't wait to do this again!

Cheers to everyone who participated!

I also should have trusted my gut with cigar #3 which I was going to guess Monte Open (cuz it tasted like hot garbage), but didn't realize Rob would be that cruel. Now I know better!

That was one of the two that I came down to two cigars and picked wrong. The only reason I didn't pick it as the Monte Open was, I didn't think Rob would do that to us. LOL

The final cigar to me was incredible, just pure cohiba even on the cold draw and on the nose, in fact it was the most Cohibay Cohiba I've never had!

Glad t have taken part in this, super fun, plus now I can simply buy BRC instead of corp and save me the cash! Bolívar would have been the last cigar I would have even chosen for #5, crazy biggrin.png

I somewhat agree. There was definitely a bit of Cohiba-ness to that stick but there was an underlying note that just kept saying BRC to me. It was by far the best of the five cigars in the tasting.

A truly humbling experience, I must say. And also goes to show that most of us have NO idea what the hell we're smoking!

I wonder, for future blind tastings, if we were provided with a list of the cigars to be smoked if the percentage of correct picks would increase? I assume it would but might be interesting to see.

Cheers to FOH for keeping cigar smoking fun!

A truly humbling experience, I must say. And also goes to show that most of us have NO idea what the hell we're smoking!

I wonder, for future blind tastings, if we were provided with a list of the cigars to be smoked if the percentage of correct picks would increase? I assume it would but might be interesting to see.

Cheers to FOH for keeping cigar smoking fun!

I've taken all the bands off all the cigars in one of my singles desktop and I'm going to smoke stuff from it based on what size I prefer at the time, I reckon the experience will be similar to if someone put down a desktop of customs in front of me.